House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
matey

Letting Agent To Use Keys To Let Themselves In For Inspection

Everytime when the letting agents notify me of an inspection, they word the letter with this sentence....

"I will call on {date and time} and will use our spare key to obtain access. However, if you would like to be at the property this is fine."

Do they have the right to do this?

This has been bugging me for somewhile now. They dictate the date and time and I'm always having to have the day off.

I understood that they can only enter in cases of emergency. Thanks.

Everytime when the letting agents notify me of an inspection, they word the letter with this sentence....

"I will call on {date and time} and will use our spare key to obtain access. However, if you would like to be at the property this is fine."

Do they have the right to do this?

This has been bugging me for somewhile now. They dictate the date and time and I'm always having to have the day off.

I understood that they can only enter in cases of emergency. Thanks.

No. I have had agents try this on and I say that my work means that no one is allowed in my property of residence when I am not there. I then state that my employer may look to sack me if this is breached, and that I will find them liable.

Oh, and see my other posts re changing the locks.

Tell them to do one. They have to give 24 hours notice and at your convenience, which I always made sure was out of office hours. I bet you are paying a fortune to live there and they think they can just walk in and nosey around, makes my blood boil.

"...if you would like to be at the property this is fine."

Nice of the letting agent to give you permission to be present in your own home!

Our letting agents let themselves in to inspect. They then make some comment like "the carpet needs hoovering". I find this so funny I really don't mind them looking round. What sad little people they are.

Our letting agents let themselves in to inspect. They then make some comment like "the carpet needs hoovering". I find this so funny I really don't mind them looking round. What sad little people they are.

You need to look at your contract. I've rented for 20 years and never seen a contract that allows a letting agent to just let themselves in.

I was going to post about this at some point, asking what rights they have. I really feel its a total invasion of privacy, no bodies under the bed or anything but the thought of someone (who I don't know) inspecting where I live and my things in it...doesn't sit right.

I've been very uncomfortable about it as I keep all sorts laying around (foreign currency, folders with all my bank details in etc., electronics...), how do I know this person isn't going to have a rummage or take 10 euros in change from my pot without my noticing?

I think I know the chap who does mine too (same bloke who showed me the flat in the first place), really rather he be nowhere near my stuff.

You may have signed something giving them permission to use a spare key to enter, but no worry, all you need to do is to inform them that from now on they may not enter the premises without your express permission and that letter will override any previous document.

As has been mentioned, you can change the locks and there is not much they can do about it. I had a problem with a letting agent thinking they could let themselves in when they liked, I had to be very firm with them.

Edit: Some info...... http://www.landlordlawblog.co.uk/2010/07/13/locks-and-keys-%E2%80%93-what-are-tenants-rights/

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/content/tenant-changed-locks

Edited by Bruce Banner

They have no right to enter apart from safety reasons. Otherwise - what their letter is actually doing - is ASKING your permission - of course they don't write it that way.

I told my last agents to ram it with this - until I needed a reference for my next place - and rather un subtly made it clear they could have access - when they had provided me a nice reference.

Ended fine and I got 100% deposit back.

Many letting agents are ***** - fight fire with fire.

Put a note saying there is a hidden camera recording everything.

:) Letting agent recorded in Belfast a couple of years ago. The tenants were in but the agent hadn't given them the required 24 hours notice.

The language is wild.

You're lucky, I've had people from letting agencies walk in without giving any notice whatsoever, and one time to have an argument with me.

This is actually a little risky for them because I have have a history of psychiatric problems and there are times when I might have misinterpreted what they were doing or at least felt threatened by it. Not that I'm a violent person, I doubt very much I'd ever retaliate it's just you might think they were an intruder.

A little different with a landlord as you tend to know them, but random bonzos from letting agents are a slightly different matter.

:) Letting agent recorded in Belfast a couple of years ago. The tenants were in but the agent hadn't given them the required 24 hours notice.

The language is wild.

I would've called the police on that fecker.

You're lucky, I've had people from letting agencies walk in without giving any notice whatsoever, and one time to have an argument with me.

This is actually a little risky for them because I have have a history of psychiatric problems and there are times when I might have misinterpreted what they were doing or at least felt threatened by it. Not that I'm a violent person, I doubt very much I'd ever retaliate it's just you might think they were an intruder.

A little different with a landlord as you tend to know them, but random bonzos from letting agents are a slightly different matter.

Remind me never to throw you a surprise zombie themed party.... :P