House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SillyBilly

How Do You Go About...

asking for a pay rise?

I would be interested to know how forceful/determined people have been over the years at asking for pay rises and what tactics (if any) you've employed?

I got a nice uptick in my last pay review (without even asking), March is my next one. I've never actually asked for a rise (always been offered which I've then just taken without countering). I realise reviews are a very important negotiation which could add a serious amount of money to total career earnings if approached correctly. Any tips be gratefully received...

asking for a pay rise?

I would be interested to know how forceful/determined people have been over the years at asking for pay rises and what tactics (if any) you've employed?

I got a nice uptick in my last pay review (without even asking), March is my next one. I've never actually asked for a rise (always been offered which I've then just taken without countering). I realise reviews are a very important negotiation which could add a serious amount of money to total career earnings if approached correctly. Any tips be gratefully received...

Become a pensioner. You dont even need to arx.

Get a new job, the pay is always better.

Is this in your experience? I've had 3 jobs post graduation and on each one I've stepped up by more than 25% so that fits so far, I thought this may just begin to plateau as you gain experience. I know I wouldn't be able to justify what I earn now at my last place though despite doing the same job near enough (be cheeky to ask for a 5 figure pay rise in a review wouldn't it!).

Get a new job, the pay is always better.

Yes, and it is amazing how your employers start to appreciate you when you hand in your notice. That is an ideal time to negotiate a raise.

Loyal staff who serve their bosses for most of their lives without thought of leaving, are, in my experience, sometimes taken for granted and are on lower pay than new recruits.

Yes, and it is amazing how your employers start to appreciate you when you hand in your notice. That is an ideal time to negotiate a raise.

Loyal staff who serve their bosses for most of their lives without thought of leaving, are, in my experience, sometimes taken for granted and are on lower pay than new recruits.

There is a limit to how many times you can hand your notice in though, surely? Can't try it on every 6 months? Leaving to another company is always an option but tend to worry about what effect this has on a C.V eventually...a load of 1-2 year jobs and moving on all the time? Could imagine some prickly questions by the HR brigade..."can't stick a job"?

Companies don't appreciate staff - there's no loyalty. Move for a pay rise.

Alternatively go public sector where it tends to be unionised and at least everyone seems to get the same grade pay rise even if it's zero.

There is a limit to how many times you can hand your notice in though, surely? Can't try it on every 6 months? Leaving to another company is always an option but tend to worry about what effect this has on a C.V eventually...a load of 1-2 year jobs and moving on all the time? Could imagine some prickly questions by the HR brigade..."can't stick a job"?

I was being a bit flippant - yes, handing your notice in as a bluff is high risk, they might just say 'can you clear your desk now and leave'! Please don't do that. :unsure:

Unless of course you really are underpaid compared to people at similar companies, then of course you have every right to look around and consider offers for your time.

Anyway, they don't sound like bad employers, giving you regular reviews etc.

Re: CVs - dates are forgotten as time moves on - 2 years 1 month gets 'rounded up' to 3yrs. A 6 month post gets 'missed off'. ;):D

Companies don't appreciate staff - there's no loyalty. Move for a pay rise.

Alternatively go public sector where it tends to be unionised and at least everyone seems to get the same grade pay rise even if it's zero.

...be warned. Zero pay rises for over six years now. And don't expect more money if you study for further qualifications. It just won't happen.