House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Solar In Morrocco

Morroco is about as organised as a barrel of chimps! :blink:

It's a genuine good news story. And looking to the future:

"It's obvious this country should be able to export into Europe and it will. And it will not need to do anything all… it needs to do is just sit there because Europe will start to need it."

An altogether more benign export than other energy sources coming from other parts of the arab world.

> this country should be able to export into Europe and it will. And it will not need to do anything all… it needs to do is just sit there

surely someone will have to stir his legs now and again to give the panels a wipe down? I know it's a bit of a hot country fantasy to sit around scratching your balls all day and chewing Qw'at

Sensible sort of thing to export, a lump of desert is about the only sort of place building this sort of thing doesn't bother me. Too bad electricity is often needed at night.

Sensible sort of thing to export, a lump of desert is about the only sort of place building this sort of thing doesn't bother me. Too bad electricity is often needed at night.

+1

It's quite a neat solution because of the time zone differences - except in those circumstances lengthy cabling will be necessary I guess.

+1

It's quite a neat solution because of the time zone differences - except in those circumstances lengthy cabling will be necessary I guess.

I guess I was thinking too much from the UK perspective but Morocco is quite a bit west of most of Europe, so evening sunshine at least when it gets dark in a good chunk of Europe.

Do these huge solar panel installations ever need cleaning? We get windborn Sahara sand here every year, so Morocco ought to get tons of it raining down.

"A giant plant using energy from the Sun to power a Moroccan city at night will open next month."

Haha! It won't work at night!

But let's not tell them, I want to see their faces when they find out!

Disorganised they sometimes may be here but they aren't frightened of hard work and turning their hands to anything.

Common sense is a Moroccan's main trait (they put the "health and safety" jobsworth mentality in the UK to shame) it seems and I would be surprised if they don't achieve their aims.

(Can you tell I love it here in Morocco?)

I was watching Palin on his adventures in southern Morroco and Algeria on the TV a few weeks back. Showed a community who had to have water tankered in daily from 50 miles away - this was brackish water though so only good for things like washing and loos. The drinking water came from further away.

I was watching Palin on his adventures in southern Morroco and Algeria on the TV a few weeks back. Showed a community who had to have water tankered in daily from 50 miles away - this was brackish water though so only good for things like washing and loos. The drinking water came from further away.

Weren't there also some security issues in that series as well or am I thinking of something else?

"A giant plant using energy from the Sun to power a Moroccan city at night will open next month."

Haha! It won't work at night!

If you bothered to read the article, you'd see that it does work at night. Lots of sunlight in North Africa.

And I've no doubt they'll employ a maintenance crew to deal with all that sand, and other issues that might affect it.

But it is a complicated story.

Ouarzazate is a huge complex installation, capable when it is fully completed of the electrical output of one module of a modern gas turbine installation (a typical UK power station will have several modules), at a cost of 8c (US) per kwh, compared with around 5c for a modern gas turbine (I suppose it might be more expensive in Morocco - I don't know what infrastructure they have). At the first stage it will output a 1/4 of that quantity of electricity.

So I'm not convinced.

I'd say that they might be better off focussing on the substantial hydro resources they have, along with a faster policy to replace their coal systems with gas.

I note that the plant is sponsored by Saudi investments. Makes me suspicious whatever the location.

I'd say that they might be better off focussing on the substantial hydro resources they have, along with a faster policy to replace their coal systems with gas.

Do they have the rainfall for "substantial" hydro? Looks rather limited, and I expect what little there is is much-needed to support growing of food.

In any case, there's no either/or here. We need both/and where there are multiple clean energy sources available.

Is Morroco a high energy consuming country? Does everyone have air con, computers, gadgets, kettles, etc? I don't think so , 42% should be achievable because the average energy consumption per person compared to a UK person I suspect is much lower.

Out in rural China, many properties have solar on their roofs, so they have hot water.

Solar-water-heaters--main.jpg

Do they have the rainfall for "substantial" hydro? Looks rather limited, and I expect what little there is is much-needed to support growing of food.

In any case, there's no either/or here. We need both/and where there are multiple clean energy sources available.

Apparently 1/4 of the electricity production in Morocco is already hydroelectric and the resource is considered to have considerable further potential.

I kind of agree with you - it is nice to have multiple resources... But they still produce 1/2 of their energy by heavy oil and coal, with investment into these plants still active. If they took the investment costs of one of their solar farms and used it to replace their heavy oil and coal with gas it would have a substantial effect on their emissions.

I suppose we can just leave them be - they're more active on renewables than the UK.

Is Morroco a high energy consuming country? Does everyone have air con, computers, gadgets, kettles, etc? I don't think so , 42% should be achievable because the average energy consumption per person compared to a UK person I suspect is much lower.

The other thing to remember about energy is only a proportion of it is electricity.

In the UK around 1/4 of the energy use (electricity and gas) is domestic, around 1/5 commercial - and 40% transport. For all of our LED lamps and solar panel schemes, it is our enthusiasm to the car and lorry which defines our energy use.