House Price Crash Forum

Cohabitation Rights Bill

Wahoo

HOLA441

I see this heap of shiii1iite is making it's way through the Lords.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/lbill/2014-2015/0010/lbill_2014-20150010_en_1.htm

Couples decide to live together for a variety of reasons, most in cohabitation don't want to get married.

Quote:

I think marriage for men is stupid because the divorce rulings are generally so unfair – but at least there is a CONTRACT – what the cohabitation bill proposes is state enforcement of a liability based on NOTHIING!

I think one of the most annoying parts of the claims for cohabitation is that it will :-
“improve the rights of cohabitants & give protection for all”
or similar such rubbish being spouted. It’s flowery BS.
What you are doing in reality is giving rights to one party and removing rights and protections from the other.
It’s a zero-sum game – there is no extra money, you are just forcibly taking money from one party and giving to the other based purely on the whim of a Family Court Judge.
In fact on average it will be a negative-sum game (!) because there will be plenty of extra litigation fighting over the assets and so lawyers will take their inevitable cut.

Lawyers want to keep the whole thing nebulous- this way they retain total power over people’s lives. The one thing they don’t want to give to people is certainty. If they did, we would be allowed binding pre-nups, like most civilised countries.

But ...oh no....we can't have a binding contract.

This Bill is a disaster for men. Living with a girlfriend will be like sticking your head under a guillotine. At a whim she could turf you out and release the blade.

We'll end up with blokes living in one house and women in another.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

The best way to live.

My partner and I (no contract, no marriage), lived happily apart for 17 years until his death in May this year. We still managed to support each other through rough times, in sickness and in health. Is that unusual? I think it's ideal.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Wouldn't all the blokes be deemed to cohabiting then? Ditto the birds?

If you can get round it though, best to live apart. I'm sure most blokes would prefer it - and now they'll have a justification.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

"Will allow someone to apply for a Financial Settlement Order. An applicant will need to show that s/he has suffered either an economic disadvantage or that their partner has retained a benefit as a result of a qualifying contribution they have made."

And who decides? The same clowns who make these decisions in family courts?

HOLA448

Having looked at it (did the OP?), it doesn't seem as bad as it sounds. It's mainly about protecting the rights of any child if one of a cohabiting couple dies, and enabling them to take out insurance.

But still could be the thin end of a wedge....

With all due respect....just spent at least an hour going through it. Scares the Hell out of me as been dithering about living with partner. The Bill has far greater reach than a child's well-being. It's about dividing assets....property, pensions etc. Marriage is a formal contract...but this Bill is based on no contract what-so-ever !!

HOLA449
HOLA4410

What is proposed is that the legal system come in and interfere on a case-by-case basis – we’ve seen how well that has worked with marriage, it’s dying – which is why lawyers (who want more work) and people looking for a hand-out are desperately trying to force through these idiotic cohabitation laws.

It's a Gold-Diggers dream. :)

HOLA4411

"Will allow someone to apply for a Financial Settlement Order. An applicant will need to show that s/he has suffered either an economic disadvantage or that their partner has retained a benefit as a result of a qualifying contribution they have made."

And who decides? The same clowns who make these decisions in family courts?

Sounds very much like the law of equity (as it stand at the moment) to be honest

HOLA4412

What is proposed is that the legal system come in and interfere on a case-by-case basis – we’ve seen how well that has worked with marriage, it’s dying – which is why lawyers (who want more work) and people looking for a hand-out are desperately trying to force through these idiotic cohabitation laws.

So divorce laws mean that people with assets won't get married; now they won't co-habit either. Next they move onto relationships.

It's pernicious, breaking down every social norm one step at a time.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

The other thing is that it increases the demand for more tiny houses in the UK - more singles. Then split "larger" houses into smaller and even tinier units. More work for the builders (land hoarders).

It's as well to remember that most of the UK's social engineering law is also linked to supporting house prices. It's getting to be like ant hill living.

No wonder Cameron likes the eu.

HOLA4417

Suppose you bought a house, paid 100% of the mortgage, totally paid all bills and taxes, and even paid your partner an 'alowance'.

If you were married none of that matters because everything is split 50:50.

What does this bill do?

50:50 You're stuffed.

HOLA4418

With all due respect....just spent at least an hour going through it. Scares the Hell out of me as been dithering about living with partner. The Bill has far greater reach than a child's well-being. It's about dividing assets....property, pensions etc. Marriage is a formal contract...but this Bill is based on no contract what-so-ever !!

I read some bits I missed first time, and deleted my post that you quote above.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

The more I read about this the more it looks like an initiative by lawyers, for lawyers, and lawyers have the most to gain.

Are they running out of divorce cases pr something?

Yes ... Too many Lawyers chasing less and less work.

HOLA4422

What a disaster for men. And it will be men who suffer for 90% of the cases.

I lived with 2 girls when I was younger. They could have taken me to the cleaners if this bill was in place. sigh.

HOLA4423

I see this heap of shiii1iite is making it's way through the Lords.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/lbill/2014-2015/0010/lbill_2014-20150010_en_1.htm

What a truly shocking and outrageous piece of legislation! THIS is a perfect example of how the media are failing in their duty to inform the public of matters that will matter to the public. I was completely unaware of this.

Three questions.....

Does the fact this is now in the Lords mean to is very close to being passed?

Have I really read the text correctly and the law will be retrospective, without time limit, and apply to 'former cohabitants' also????

What are the 'origins' of this proposed legislation? Whose brainchild?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

The more I look into this the more it means a feeecken disaster for divorced men with assets.

One reason why people cohabite is to protect assets from a previous divorce. Once this crock of shiiite is passed, there is no protection.

How do you define cohabitation? Sleeping with your girlfriend 2, 3 or 4 nights a week? What if you live with someone but there is no sex....happens often enough. What if your girlfriend has a child from a previous partner and he has no assets so pays £1.00 / week maintenance. Are you suddenly responsible in the eyes of the family court for maintenance? What if you both have houses but one partner has a pension the other doesn't...suddenly bang, your pension is valued and split.

Marriage is a CONTRACT signed and the outcome is clear on ending it. Cohabitation has NO contract....nothing, but will be treated as if you both signed something.

When word gets out about this, couples will be splitting fast.....only a LIBDEM idiot can come up with this pile of ****

Archived