House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chronyx

Vegetables That Are Good Cooked And Cold

Pretty specific thread :D As above really. Looking for something to accompany chicken for lunch. I usually have loads of rocket but it gets expensive. I figured veggies would be cheaper.

I'm just cooking some broccoli and cauliflower and will be having them with pepper and spring onion.

Any other veggies/ideas?

Not cooked, but a winter salad goes very well with lots of things, and unlike summer salad, the ingredients all keep very well.

What I put in mine is white or red cabbage, onion, carrot, celery and apple, all sliced or chopped fine or small, and moistened with just enough mayonnaise to hold it - not swimming in it like bought coleslaw. This is really nice and once made up it will keep for a day or two in the fridge.

I usually steam frozen veg the night before, but take it off before it's cooked and put it in my lunch box with some meat. Then microwave for lunch with a bit of tommy sauce.

I usually steam frozen veg the night before, but take it off before it's cooked and put it in my lunch box with some meat. Then microwave for lunch with a bit of tommy sauce.

What veg?! :lol:

Has to be cold as I work on site and don't have reliable access to a microwave

Lunch today was chicken, roast potatoes, stuffing and Jerusalem artichokes !

Very very cheap. Aldi chicken with stuffing, potatoes from the boot sale (@6 quid for 25kg) and Jerusalem artichokes free from the garden. (going wild!)

French beans, red peppers and chestnut mushrooms stir fried in chilli oil with sliced garlic. When nearly cooked add a touch of dark soy and fish sauce and a little bit of brown sugar to balance the flavour. Great hot or cold.