House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hectors House

Make It Illegal For Mps To Own Shares In A Company With Gov/nhs/police Contracts

It is definitely petition season! This one wants to ban MP's (and Government ministers in particular) having conflicts of interests with Government contracts, seems to be very common but the most high profile is Theresa May who is Home Secretary and has a husband who is very senior in G4S. G4S are running government contracts and also bidding for more. They are also bidding to take work off the police because of government cuts.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/111634

I believe this to be a good thing! The temptation of the "trough" is too near!

Didn't a previous Labour Home Secretary have a relationship with G4S - John Reid? At least he went on to have one - directorship.

What is the point of power if you can't profit from it. Seems to be the way.

A bit of a dumb one this. It's more or less impossible to have any investments at all without ending up owning some G4S etc shares indirectly. For example, almost all of my UK investments are now in FTSE tracker funds. Would that bar me from office?

A bit of a dumb one this. It's more or less impossible to have any investments at all without ending up owning some G4S etc shares indirectly. For example, almost all of my UK investments are now in FTSE tracker funds. Would that bar me from office?

I must say that I see what you mean. However they are in public office and have the ability to affect the share price and in returns on a scale that normal shareholders cannot. If they are going to serve in public office then theu should be required to either sell their shares or perhaps they are put into a share scheme where they do not know what companies are being invested in. They may say it is unfair, but it would be the price to pay for holding public office.

It is even more in proper for them to have immediate family in senior positions of these companies.

It is frustrating that even if this reaches 100,000 signatures, that it will just be debated. The current crop of MPs seem quite good at talking for 90mins to use up allocated time for debate.......democracy at it's best

It is one thing to be a private investor, quite another to be in a position of power or be married to someone who is in a position of power in a company with whom you do significant business with in your professional life. It's a clear conflict, but of course no-one really cares about that because it seems that most would do likewise in the same situation.

there is/was someone in the Lords who held something like 20 directorships, plus their Lords duties. I think she was referred to as the 'Atomic Kitty' in Private Eye. Farcical.

I do have to say I can't find any proper reference to him working for G4S but there are loads of rumours about a lot of shares!

It is nonsense, and shows ignorance of long-standing arrangements such as ministers having to put whatever stockmarket investments[1] they may have into blind trust on taking office.

[1] But not property investments. A house couldn't possibly give rise to a conflict of interest now, could it?

"Conflict of Interest" is a big thing with large companies. Usually have to sign a disclaimer once a year. Should be no different for MPs.

"Conflict of Interest" is a big thing with large companies. Usually have to sign a disclaimer once a year. Should be no different for MPs.

They have a register of interests.

Do their spouses have to list theirs?

Let's look at a local councillor about to be an MP

http://committees.oldham.gov.uk/mgConvert2PDF.aspx?ID=155&T=6

He's already had to add another property to section 5: land this year

Which interestingly doesn't appear in the sold prices on rightmove.

That asks about spouse.

It is nonsense, and shows ignorance of long-standing arrangements such as ministers having to put whatever stockmarket investments[1] they may have into blind trust on taking office.

[1] But not property investments. A house couldn't possibly give rise to a conflict of interest now, could it?

Not quite, ministers have been known to retain such interests even when they should have disposed of them. And the petition includes all MPs.

It won't make a direct difference, but serves to remind MPs we watch them and will pick up on conflicts of interest.