House Price Crash Forum

Banning The Lords Prayer

anonguest

HOLA441

I'm a card carrying aetheist and frankly don't care what sky fairy (to steal a brilliant term used by someone else here on HPC) you adhere to.

That said I do think the reasons/rationale given for this apparent ban are ludicrous and, in agreement with the Church spokesperson, it has profound implications for freedom of speech. Thus I find myself int he strange situation of supporting the Church on this matter.

Where will we draw the line with all this not wanting to offend others nonsense? When is this PC lunacy going to stop?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34891928

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

It would rather compromise the cinemas if Islam wanted to run an ad before Star Wars too.

It's a fair point.

That said, however, I was left wondering just what on Earth is this advert 'selling' (until the very last 3 seconds)??

Even then, after the giveaway of the blurb 'telling' you to prey had more of an annoying effect. I can well imagine many Christians getting in a huff at being 'told' to prey - and lets face it Christianity probably comes in more flavours and variations than Islam does? So I can well imaging some members of some 'branch' of Christianity taking offence for some twisted logic reason or another.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

The libertarian in me reckons that if you own a cinema, you should be free to decide what to show and to whom. The latter part, of course, is something the state has buggered up (a "no gays" or "gays only" policy would see you up before the beak PDQ).

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Have cinemas ever been havens of free speech? Bit rich of the church to get all uppity after what happened with The 'Life of Brian'.

The "Life of Brian" was banned in the holy Parish of Brighton. I had to endure Worthing to see it!

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

The "Life of Brian" was banned in the holy Parish of Brighton. I had to endure Worthing to see it!

Banned in BRIGHTON?! That's the last place I would have thought people would seek to ban that film.

I recall seeing a newspaper article once, possibly a local rag, proclaiming Brighton to be the most godless place in the country? Certainly seemed to sound right based on my own observations.

HOLA4415

Banned in BRIGHTON?! That's the last place I would have thought people would seek to ban that film.

I recall seeing a newspaper article once, possibly a local rag, proclaiming Brighton to be the most godless place in the country? Certainly seemed to sound right based on my own observations.

Absolutely true. The Holy borough of Southend wasn't showing it either. :huh::o

One of my favourite films of all time! Tells you exactly what is wrong with religion!

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

The only thing I find offensive about the Lord's Prayer is how dreary it is.

Billy Connolly once made the same observation about God Save The Queen, and suggested we'd do much better at the Olympics if we adopted something more jolly as our National Anthem - such as the theme from The Archers...!

So by the same logic, as a compromise I reckon the Church of England should be allowed to show the film, but overdub the prayer with "Kung Fu International" by John Cooper-Clark...

XYY

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I'm a card carrying aetheist and frankly don't care what sky fairy (to steal a brilliant term used by someone else here on HPC) you adhere to.

That said I do think the reasons/rationale given for this apparent ban are ludicrous and, in agreement with the Church spokesperson, it has profound implications for freedom of speech. Thus I find myself int he strange situation of supporting the Church on this matter.

Where will we draw the line with all this not wanting to offend others nonsense? When is this PC lunacy going to stop?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34891928

This is rubbish.

Cinemas are private property and it is entirely within the owner's rights to say who they do, and do not, give a platform to.

Censorship is when someone is denied their right to speech. No-one has an automatic right, divine or otherwise, to address a private cinema audience.

Go see if you can put up a Life of Brian poster in a church unopposed.

HOLA4422

I wonder if you could organise a touring version of Life of Brian in the middle east. Would it be all choppy choppy or seen as fair entertainment?

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I wonder if you could organise a touring version of Life of Brian in the middle east. Would it be all choppy choppy or seen as fair entertainment?

Both are likely wherebee - depends which side you're on.

The Judean People's Front or The Peoples Front of Judea...?

(Splitters...!!!)

;)

XYY

Archived