House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anonguest

Banning The Lords Prayer

I'm a card carrying aetheist and frankly don't care what sky fairy (to steal a brilliant term used by someone else here on HPC) you adhere to.

That said I do think the reasons/rationale given for this apparent ban are ludicrous and, in agreement with the Church spokesperson, it has profound implications for freedom of speech. Thus I find myself int he strange situation of supporting the Church on this matter.

Where will we draw the line with all this not wanting to offend others nonsense? When is this PC lunacy going to stop?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34891928

It would rather compromise the cinemas if Islam wanted to run an ad before Star Wars too.

It's a fair point.

That said, however, I was left wondering just what on Earth is this advert 'selling' (until the very last 3 seconds)??

Even then, after the giveaway of the blurb 'telling' you to prey had more of an annoying effect. I can well imagine many Christians getting in a huff at being 'told' to prey - and lets face it Christianity probably comes in more flavours and variations than Islam does? So I can well imaging some members of some 'branch' of Christianity taking offence for some twisted logic reason or another.

I imagine it was the Jedi council that complained. I saw a trailer for Star Wars VII in the cinema this week and at one point it said "This Christmas", which I thought was alienating a significant portion of your customer base, not least those who defined themselves as Jedi in the last census.

The libertarian in me reckons that if you own a cinema, you should be free to decide what to show and to whom. The latter part, of course, is something the state has buggered up (a "no gays" or "gays only" policy would see you up before the beak PDQ).

I would rather they advertised the Lords Prayer than some....high sugar addictive sweet or fancy 'wish you were like me' perfume, cosmetic or plastic surgery procedure. ;)

Have cinemas ever been havens of free speech? Bit rich of the church to get all uppity after what happened with The 'Life of Brian'.

The "Life of Brian" was banned in the holy Parish of Brighton. I had to endure Worthing to see it!

The "Life of Brian" was banned in the holy Parish of Brighton. I had to endure Worthing to see it!

Aye, sounds about right Pinny.

Bloody Brightonians - what have they ever done for us...?

XYY

Banned in BRIGHTON?! That's the last place I would have thought people would seek to ban that film.

I recall seeing a newspaper article once, possibly a local rag, proclaiming Brighton to be the most godless place in the country? Certainly seemed to sound right based on my own observations.

Banned in BRIGHTON?! That's the last place I would have thought people would seek to ban that film.

I recall seeing a newspaper article once, possibly a local rag, proclaiming Brighton to be the most godless place in the country? Certainly seemed to sound right based on my own observations.

Absolutely true. The Holy borough of Southend wasn't showing it either. :huh::o

One of my favourite films of all time! Tells you exactly what is wrong with religion!

The only thing I find offensive about the Lord's Prayer is how dreary it is.

Billy Connolly once made the same observation about God Save The Queen, and suggested we'd do much better at the Olympics if we adopted something more jolly as our National Anthem - such as the theme from The Archers...!

So by the same logic, as a compromise I reckon the Church of England should be allowed to show the film, but overdub the prayer with "Kung Fu International" by John Cooper-Clark...

XYY

I'm a card carrying aetheist and frankly don't care what sky fairy (to steal a brilliant term used by someone else here on HPC) you adhere to.

That said I do think the reasons/rationale given for this apparent ban are ludicrous and, in agreement with the Church spokesperson, it has profound implications for freedom of speech. Thus I find myself int he strange situation of supporting the Church on this matter.

Where will we draw the line with all this not wanting to offend others nonsense? When is this PC lunacy going to stop?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34891928

This is rubbish.

Cinemas are private property and it is entirely within the owner's rights to say who they do, and do not, give a platform to.

Censorship is when someone is denied their right to speech. No-one has an automatic right, divine or otherwise, to address a private cinema audience.

Go see if you can put up a Life of Brian poster in a church unopposed.

I wonder if you could organise a touring version of Life of Brian in the middle east. Would it be all choppy choppy or seen as fair entertainment?

I wonder if you could organise a touring version of Life of Brian in the middle east. Would it be all choppy choppy or seen as fair entertainment?

Doesn't that have a nice joke at all of the "too religious"?

Faith is one thing, unthinking obedience is wrong!

Both are likely wherebee - depends which side you're on.

The Judean People's Front or The Peoples Front of Judea...?

(Splitters...!!!)

;)

XYY