House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Honorary Degrees - Ban Them?

The Campaign for Real Education (who they?) are calling for them to be banned.

We all know that they're worthless and I see celebs as mugs for accepting them as they are basically doing an after dinner speech for free.

However having a celeb at an otherwise tedious graduation ceremony is fairly memorable so what's the harm.

Yours

Dr Emeritus and Regius Professor of Costcutter University of the South Bank Francis Hovis.

And my research associate Dr Dannii Minogue

_86657408_danni2.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34659751

I've never seen such a "fine gentleman"! :blink:

These really are "toilet paper" degrees! Who wants one? :wacko:

I need toilet paper.

Thankyou for that insight on your bowel problems!

Maybe the people that accept them feel the need to be somebody......we are all somebodies. ;)

I'm nobody! I'm not even here!

Generally they are offensive rubbish and should be banned.

However, that time team archaeologist Phil Harding has one, but I suppose that in his case, other qualified archaeologists recommended him.

I know that Professor Mick Aston was a guest at his doctorification.

I think the "fake wizard" character sums me up!

I got my Crayoning GCSE fair and square and nobody's gonna take it from me.

You are still not allowed sharp things like pencils, are you?

The only value in being awarded a degree is what it means to someone else and the opportunity they may give you as a result, in either your career or further into academia.

When a celeb is given an honorary degree they neither want nor need the career/education enhancing properties of their degree.

So they are irrelevant, don't affect the value of 'real' degrees, so are no harm at all and shouldn't be banned.

People wanting to ban things should be banned.

Bet there's some dodgy PhD's here too...

Diddly e dee, Didlle e dee, Didlle e didle e diddle e dee, Woo woo!

They should only be awarded when there has been some relevant contribution to academic debate, this could easily be measured by citations in papers or books.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2006/jul/06/highereducation.popandrock

n July 11 2001, Billy Connolly was awarded an honorary Doctor of Letters by the University of Glasgow. He was thrilled, telling reporters: "It's an enormous honour to get, especially from academia, because my behaviour over the years hasn't exactly been academic. I have had salmon flies named after me and I thought that was my lot."

The Daily Mail eulogised the Scottish funnyman's honour: "The boy from Anderston may have left school aged 15 with no qualifications but his success on stage and screen has more than earned him his place among the nation's brightest talents."

I love that phrase "more than earned". It suggests: you may think you're clever Stephen Hawking, and all you other big-brained Britons, but you're nothing next to the Big Yin. You might think the phrase "less than earned" would have been more appropriate, but that would show you to be out of step with what celebrity can achieve in what many contend is this increasingly dumb Britain.

Celebrating the award with him in 2001 was his wife Pamela Stephenson, who five years earlier had completed six years' study for a PhD in clinical psychology at the California Graduate Institute. In the light of Connolly's honorary degree, one really wonders why she bothered. Indeed, at a time when a degree costs at least three years of your life minimum and up to £20,000 in tuition fees and living costs, why does any student bother? Surely it would be much less demanding to become famous for something fatuous (how's your father in the BB Jacuzzi, centre-court streaking) and then issue your demand: "I'm a celebrity, get me an honorary doctorate!"

Diddly e dee, Didlle e dee, Didlle e didle e diddle e dee, Woo woo!

I name that song in 9 Tom!

Who judges people by the paper they hold....the lies they tell, the ego they hold or the stories they tell?........

University admission panels, most employers, everybody else.