House Price Crash Forum

People In Need. And A Salary.

SarahBell

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I have wondered, given the continuing Kids Company fall out, whether it should be legally enshrined that maximum salary and benefits for anybody working for a charity should be (say) £20k.

If that were the case then I would look at Camilla Batman and say: well, it was a shambles but she genuinely meant well and nobody goes into charity work to get rich.

Whereas now it is a lucrative and easy career for the well-connected and this money encourages all the sharp practices (chugging, cold-calling) that people so detest.

You'd have to differentiate between types of charity (IIRC Public Schools and Housing Associations have charitable status), so I am meaning charitries in the sense that we think of them - donation-funded.

HOLA445

Isn't that where they sell effigies of Pope Pin? To put on the bonfire or pin up and worship? :ph34r:

You cannot draw cartoons of Pin. It is forbidden.

HOLA446
HOLA447

I have wondered, given the continuing Kids Company fall out, whether it should be legally enshrined that maximum salary and benefits for anybody working for a charity should be (say) £20k.

You would undoubtedly get the "we won't be able to attract the calibre of people we need"

- let's face it, that old chestnut has worked a treat for politicos, public sector and bankers for the last 20 years.

HOLA448
HOLA449

“Apart from the running costs and a salary for myself, all the profits will go towards making a difference in Shaw.”

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/8/news-headlines/95307/pin-store-at-sharp-end-of-community

Sounds like she confuses profits with turnover. Any profits are left after running costs and salaries.

Also sounds very vague about what it's mission is. Whatever she fancies spending on, I suppose.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

What's a PIN store?

I went to a local charity shop and got a Crombie overcoat for £30. Fantastic. It looks unworn. ;)

Naughty MrP.....you should have paid a few more salaries and made bigger profits for others by buying a new one for four times as much......and the person that donated it should have sent it to landfill.....why pay full price whilst there is so much excellent quality consumer goods about?....the economy thrives on waste. ;)

HOLA4413

I think we are seeing peak Charity shops. They are actually closing them in Shirely. I was speaking to a chap, he said they are taking no more donations, and they are closing down next week. This is a large charity shop that is known nationally. I asked the reasons why they were closing:

- RENT is too high, at £500 a week.

-TOO MANY CHARITY SHOPS, Shirely is full of charity shops. He said they used to take £600 a DAY when he started, now they don't even make enough to cover the RENT. Despite very low wage costs.

HOLA4414

I think we are seeing peak Charity shops. They are actually closing them in Shirely. I was speaking to a chap, he said they are taking no more donations, and they are closing down next week. This is a large charity shop that is known nationally. I asked the reasons why they were closing:

-TOO MANY CHARITY SHOPS, Shirely is full of charity shops. He said they used to take £600 a DAY when he started, now they don't even make enough to cover the RENT. Despite very low wage costs.

Time for regular village hall jumble sales to make a comeback perhaps...... ;)

HOLA4415

Do they not run mostly on volunteer staff these days?

The manager of the one near us back 7 years ago did 10 hours. The setting up and closing of the shop each day for cash float and banking.

They replaced her with a full time manager who installed family as paid staff..

If staff is mostly free, stock is free, and reduced rent and rates they should make plenty.

But it's turnover not high profits on a few things.

It also costs money to send stuff to the tip.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Charity shops down here are volunteer-run with a paid manager being responsible for half a dozen (recruiting staff, dealing with bills, admin); this seems a good set up to me.

That is similar to what I understand the set up to be with the shops I am familiar with......very easy to ask the staff, I am sure they would be only too pleased to tell anyone who wants to know who's who. ;)

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Naughty MrP.....you should have paid a few more salaries and made bigger profits for others by buying a new one for four times as much......and the person that donated it should have sent it to landfill.....why pay full price whilst there is so much excellent quality consumer goods about?....the economy thrives on waste. ;)

I am always surprised at the quality of coats that make it to the charity shop! If I see a good one I buy it. Not so keen on used trousers though. :wacko:

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I wouldn't worry so much about the trousers, it's the pants you ort to steer clear of.

I always buy my underpants new. Some of them date back many years. I still like buying coats though.

HOLA4423

I wouldn't worry so much about the trousers, it's the pants you ort to steer clear of.

IME they don't sell pants. But I haven't looked for them!

I find their pricing of basic clothes has failed to respond to supermarket pricing of clothing ranges; it's usually cheaper to buy a basic polo shirt (for example) brand new than from a charity shop. So I look for the odd nice bit of clothing.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Blokes' jackets and coats are really good in the charity shops down here. I guess a load of old thin blokes died. :huh:

I really like some of the quality tweed jackets I see but I've yet to find one that I can get my shoulders into (bone structure rather than weightlifting muscle).

Archived