House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fancypants

Bob Beckman

does anyone know much about this chap/book?

I gather he is seen as a figure of some ridicule in bullish quarters due to his predictions of a 20yr fall in prices from 1996. Maybe the right idea, but bad timing eh?

unfortunately the book seems to be out of print - looks like he was a Kondratieff fan though.

does anyone know much about this chap/book?

I gather he is seen as a figure of some ridicule in bullish quarters due to his predictions of a 20yr fall in prices from 1996. Maybe the right idea, but bad timing eh?

unfortunately the book seems to be out of print - looks like he was a Kondratieff fan though.

Bob Beckman was ridiculed in the mid 80's when he forecast a HPC. He was proven right.

Bob Beckman was ridiculed in the mid 80's when he forecast a HPC. He was proven right.

so he is, essentially, a housing permabear?

does anyone know what underpinned his arguments?

so he is, essentially, a housing permabear?

does anyone know what underpinned his arguments?

Not sure. The media only seem to wheel him out so they can ridicule him when he says a crash is coming. He could change his views in between times, for all I know!

I still have a little wax doll of Bob Beckman which I occasionally take out of the cupboard and stick a pin or two into.

Seriously though, when I was first getting into investment I subscribed to his newsletter "Investors Bulletin", and to be fair it taught me a great deal about the subject. There were some real words of wisdom, and I got a deep insight into the technical indicators and strategies that many traders still use today.

Beckman's obvious experience and clear, concise arguments gave him great credibility, and as a complete initiate in this field I became convinced by his very persuasive analysis. Unfortunately, throughout the early 80's Bob was convinced that equities were about to crash to ridiculous levels. He completely failed to see that there was a global secular change in the will of both governments and central banks to fight inflation, and that as a consequence a bull market had begun in equities that would last a generation.

Search around and you'll find that Beckman was credited with having predicted the '87 crash, but in fact all that happened was that he'd been preaching a disaster since 1981 and was eventually correct - a feat which briefly promoted him to exalted status for his prescience, and earned him a great deal of airtime on financial talk shows.

I've a sort of fondness for the guy because he introduced me to so many concepts in investment, but as a forecaster he has (in my opinion) no credence whatsoever. If you buy his book(s), try and ignore specific predictions and just learn from the broad axioms.