House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Transgender People And Jailing Them

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/nov/19/transgender-woman-found-dead-in-all-male-prison

A transgender woman has been found dead in an all-male prison after telling friends she would kill herself if sent there.

Vicky Thompson, 21, was being held at Armley, a category B men’s prison in Leeds, where she was pronounced dead last Friday, it was announced on Thursday.

The news has been greeted with anger on Twitter with campaigners and MPs expressing their dismay. Tim Farron, leader of the Liberal Democrats, has called for the law to be reformed urgently while Labour’s Cat Smith, the shadow minister for women and equalities, described the news of Thompson’s death as “devastating”.

Very tragic, but you can't seriously send someone to a all male prison who is effectively female. If they don't want to send them to a female jail then surely the only answer is transgender jails?

It's extremely thoughtless. Jail is used too much anyway!

In children's swimming girls winning times are usually faster than boys up to age 12-14 when it swaps over quite dramatically. So the child is getting an advantage by swimming in the boys event. The child wasn't actually disqualified for being the wrong gender, and they even gave the child a second unfair advantage by (eventually) allowing performance enhancing swimwear denied the others, and yet the parents are still crying foul.

A spokeswoman for Urdd said: "During our swimming gala the child competed in two races. In the butterfly race he was disqualified on two accounts — for wearing a 'skin', which is not allowed under our normal rules and also for a technical fault.

"After considering the facts, the Urdd reversed the disqualification for the 'skin', but can't reverse the disqualification for the technical fault.

What had she done? She'd been given a 12 month suspended sentence, which she'd messed up on and got sent away. That is how the system works. Vulnerable people need to realise they are not invulnerable to society's rules.

It looks like we'll be setting up a nice soft prison for trans people rather than one for people who threaten suicide.

It is trans remembrance day here in Canada...seriously. I'm with Germaine Greer on this issue...it is an insult to women, and those who fought for women's rights to have some lad who chops his nob off have the right to call himself a woman. I am against violence to anyone who is LGBT etc, but our society has totally lost touch with reality at the moment.

It is trans remembrance day here in Canada...seriously. I'm with Germaine Greer on this issue...it is an insult to women, and those who fought for women's rights to have some lad who chops his nob off have the right to call himself a woman. I am against violence to anyone who is LGBT etc, but our society has totally lost touch with reality at the moment.

I wouldn't say it's an insult to women but I agree with Greer that a M to F transgender person is not a woman. Also F to M transgender is not a man. I'm unsure how society can deal with this.

Jails for vulnerable people in general is perhaps the best way forward.

That's a bit harsh on vulnerable people.

Yes sorry...bad sentence construction!

I meant to say that we should perhaps have seperate jails for all vulnerable people who are jailed? But I would think that many who end up in jail could be labelled as vulnerable? But vulnerable people really have to realise that a jail sentence is a punishment for breaking the law. I think the majority of vulnerable people are capable of understanding this. A difficult issue!

There was one ?Scottish case a few years ago where a bloke was put into a women's prison because he identified as a woman.

After he had shagged several of the inmates the authorities realised that they had been "had" and moved him to a men's prison.

There was one ?Scottish case a few years ago where a bloke was put into a women's prison because he identified as a woman.

After he had shagged several of the inmates the authorities realised that they had been "had" and moved him to a men's prison.

What an adventurer! :wacko:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-34972221

Another one down.

A transgender prisoner has been discovered dead in her cell at an all-male prison, the BBC has learned.

Joanne Latham, 38, was found hanging by a prison officer at HMP Woodhill in Milton Keynes in the early hours of Friday.

A Prison Service report seen by the BBC said the prisoner, who was serving life for three attempted murders, had barricaded the door of her cell.

It is the second recent death of a transgender woman in a men's prison.

I wonder what the 3 attempted murders story is.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/12027763/Transgender-prisoner-found-dead-at-all-male-jail.html

She had been sentenced to life imprisonment in 2001 for an attempted murder.

Since then she received two further life sentences for attempted murder of a HMP Frankland prisoner in 2007 and of a fellow patient at Rampton secure hospital in 2011.

Maybe wasn't transgender when first jailed?

can't you just castrate them but not tuck the bits inside?

that would be eunuch....so no quibbling about which sex at all.......I guess they would have to put a n/a boxfor gender in most application forms though.

Another sad story. This one seemed quite vicious (although, as has been pointed out, what is the story?) - but still I don't want prisons to be places where inmates feel there is no option other than suicide.

Anyway, there were no pictures of this girl on the story - is it wrong of me to google her to see how feminine she looks?

But it was a big mistake - searched google images - result was boobs everywhere... Turns out there is another Joanne Latham... Top-shelf model from the '70s. I suppose it wouldn't have been too bad a result other than I'd chosen a location where son #1 (9) could see the page...

People who need to go to prison need to go to prison.
It may be we need a special part of a prison to accommodate those who can not just go into mainstream prison under their birth gender.
And better suicide watch for those at risk. There's massive suicide rates amongst young people.

http://www.inquest.org.uk/statistics/deaths-of-young-people-and-children-in-prison

http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/14/trans-prisoner-tara-hudson-was-called-chick-with-a-d-and-forced-to-flash-inmates-5563608

Trans prisoner Tara Hudson was called ‘chick with a d***’ and forced to flash inmates

Even after her transfer to HMP Eastwood Park, Tara said the abuse didn’t end, and she was separated from the other inmates.

The answer is simple.

Get them examined by a medical professional and get them to certify which gender they are. They are then treated accordingly.

Strictly male/female there clearly is no middle ground.

I am with the earlier poster. I have nil sympathy, if they don't offend they will have no problems.

The answer is simple.

Get them examined by a medical professional and get them to certify which gender they are. They are then treated accordingly.

Strictly male/female there clearly is no middle ground.

The problem is that there is a middle ground, unrelated to transsexualism.