House Price Crash Forum
Bill D'arblay

Dvla Using Dirty Tricks To Extract More Money From Vehicle Tax

With George Osbourne's plan to deliver an economy 'that is the envy of the World' through austerity doing so well it appears that the DVLA have received fresh 'screw money out of motorists' instructions.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/nov/20/worst-uk-deficit-figures-six-years-george-osborne

Whilst many people are aware that the vehicle tax went 'diskless' and the DVLA brought in some well publicised tricks to trick people into paying extra tax when transferring their vehicles it now appears they are using even more underhanded methods to charge embezzle money from car owners.

With the minimum tax period 6 months and the ability for people to pay over 12 months as well as the absence of the reminder that was the tax disk it is little wonder that most folks depend on the DVLA to send them a reminder when their tax is due.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/motoring/car-tax-fines-dvla-accused-of-being-too-quick-to-penalise-motorists-as-prosecutions-rocket-since-10357218.html

I recently received a 'fine' for not paying tax after it ran out for 4 weeks on one car. Checking the other car I also found that this wasn't taxed. I had not received a reminder for either car. I then rang the DVLA to ask why they are no longer sending reminders and the minimum wage person at the other end suggested that they are, but that they are 'as a courtesy only and not guaranteed to be sent'. I find it surprising that an official document like a V11 is now just sent out as a courtesy only - especially considering that failure to tax a vehicle is a criminal​ offence!

So, a quick heads up! Check your tax on;

https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

Because I would hate to see people on here get screwed by the Gammon Faced Piggy Fiddlers.

I take your point, but I don't see why they should remind people. Surely people should take responsibility for their own obligations - or do we want a nanny state (although obviously we already have one)?

To be honest 99% of people who drive have access to something like a smart phone or google calendar which can be set to send a reminder about these things.

The MOT isn't reminded at all and I know two people who have recently managed to forget by a couple of months in each case.

I take your point, but I don't see why they should remind people.

Because they have a duty to remind people and they promised they would send the official V11 document before the current tax runs out.

The energy companies, water, telecommunications, roadside rescue, credit and store card, travel companies and thousands more do it.

This is why I opted for monthly payment by direct debit. It just rolls over then nothing to think about. However it was about 7 quid more when everyone else gives you discount if you DD. shafters

Considering they're extracting our money a courtesy email or two would cost them nothing to send.

It's typical UK - You screw up, it's your fault. We screw up, it's your fault.

Trouble is they have many apologists, as exampled here. I'm all right, Jack unless it affects me.

As they haven't informed us that they've stopped sending out reminders this does indeed smack of a "dirty trick" to catch us out. Fair enough if they think it will save them money and it's an "efficiency saving" but the least they could have done would have been to take out a few newspaper ads or the like in advance to warn us.

Lol lol lol.

One step ahead on this. Use a post it note in the car to remind you when to renew.

They use apnr mobile cars to check plates, and mobile wheel clamping teams. On our street 7 cars were clamped overnight. Be afraid......

Whilst many people are aware that the vehicle tax went 'diskless' and the DVLA brought in some well publicised tricks to trick people into paying extra tax when transferring their vehicles it now appears they are using even more underhanded methods to charge embezzle money from car owners.

Well spotted. I have just bought a secondhand car and been lightly screwed by this new trick from our inventive taxman. In the old days you could just transfer the car across and the tax ran on until its expiry date. The clever new system forces the prevous owner to cancel the tax but refunds are limited to complete months, so if you sold a car today (20th November) and the tax expired on 1st March 2016, you would be refunded for December January and february, forfeiting the remainder of November. The new owner would have to pay for tax from the 1st November, paying an extra 20 days. The net result is that the DVLA gets an extra month of tax every time a car changes hands.

The more significant effect is that the new owner has to sort the tax out at the time of purchase (you need a number from the V5 registration document). This isn't always easy - I borrowed the wifi at the old owners house and did it online before driving off but this may not always be possible.

The more significant effect is that the new owner has to sort the tax out at the time of purchase (you need a number from the V5 registration document). This isn't always easy - I borrowed the wifi at the old owners house and did it online before driving off but this may not always be possible.

While technically and legally you are correct, you do need to tax it as soon as you buy it. You can in reality drive home as you're going to be home an in a position to tax it at home (or a post office) before the DVLA have received the V5 from the old owner. This in effect gives you a couple of days grace - which means if you buy a car on the last day of the month, you can actually tax it on the 1st of the month. While the seller will get his refund from the day before. you just have to try and beat them at their own game.

I take your point, but I don't see why they should remind people. Surely people should take responsibility for their own obligations - or do we want a nanny state (although obviously we already have one)?

^This.

Considering they're extracting our money a courtesy email or two would cost them nothing to send.

surely,in this day and age of all mod con's and convenience, it would be far,far simpler to just have it set up online as a auto-repeat monthly subscription done online,or via directdebit?

you send them an unscubscribe as and when you sell the vehicle....and for the typical car,it will come to about £10 per month..which doesn't exactly break the bank.

better still, just put 5p on a gallon,and put the rest on MOT...with different banding prices for different vehicles....scrubs the paperwork,and requirement for paper shufflers.

does anyone have any idea on the annual cost to the country of

1) DVLA clerical staff process ing the payments/reminders

2)legal proceedings for those without tax

I bet the latter is absolutely staggering.

lawyers fees for prosecution/defence and judges etc are pretty steep...nomally several hundred pounds per HOUR.

I reckon that the second one alone probably comes to about £5000 per prosecution.

Edited by oracle

My last few years reminders contained a number so that I could renew on-line, as did this years tax.

So without the number, how do you renew online?

It's easy these days, they even have a site where you can check the vehicle tax status!

If you are under the false illusion that they are sending out a V11 2-3 weeks in advance of expiration why would you, after 5 or 11 months randomly check the website? Also a lot of pensioners aren't online and I am thinking of going offline myself for the first time since 1992 because I am sick of the 'tinternet.

So without the number, how do you renew online?

You need the V5 - so anyone who thinks they can buy a car and then tax it when they get home is committing a criminal offence.

1.png

Clamping by the DVLA has gone up 60 per cent, according to the Daily Mail, from 5,000 to 8,630.

Christopher Webb, 56, faced a £822 fine after he and wife Marianna got back from holiday
Apr 2015

http://metro.co.uk/2015/04/13/thousands-of-drivers-clamped-after-being-caught-out-by-tax-disc-loophole-5147468/

With the new APNR digital HD speed cameras, and DVLA tax changes, the war on the motorist has begun. If you're not with us, you're with the motorists!

Mobile site:

england-bournemouth-dvla-driver-vehicle-

Edited by 200p

Bought a first generation Honda Insight. All aluminium and plastic construction 1.0 engine with an electric motor. Drives likes a 1.5 petrol as its soo light.

no road tax, average about 60mpg without trying 70-80mpg when trying. Very reliable people get 300k miles out of them.

Fuel bill has dropped from £90 a week to £30 a week.

Screw the tax man, screw the oil companies. it's sad that I'm having to wait for another economic crash just so I can afford some shelter. but at least I know I'm doing my bit to help it along.

...Also a lot of pensioners aren't online and I am thinking of going offline myself for the first time since 1992 because I am sick of the 'tinternet.

I'm actually pretty close to doing the same thing. When I pack in the job I'll probably leap. Have already given up the personal smart phone nonsense (do still have to have one for work unfortunately) and have a PAYG for emergencies. Most of the time don't carry it.

I pay DD monthly, it recently came up for renewal. They sent me an email confirming the renewal and asked to double check the bank details so it would be processed correctly.

Seems better than how it used to be, no need to do anything.

With DD monthly there are 12 opportunities for something to go wrong every year instead of just one.

or are we under the illusion that banks never mess anything up?

Edited by Habeas Domus

Perhaps this is the real reason for getting tough ie to force us all to pay by DD.....I can see it would be more efficient.

I don't know why they persist with all these peripheral taxes eg car tax, TV licence. They may as well just charge one tax (+VAT to hit all the rich who have more money than sense) and have done with it. :) Or they could instigate a tax on wealth which includes assets as well as income.

I pay with direct debit monthly. Is awesome.

I moved to 125 motorbike to commute instead.

100+mpg and £17 per year road tax....that's awesome.£10 of petrol for about 2 weeks travel.

bit of a pain in the bum in winter when it's brass monkey's and pissing down, but in spring/ summer/autumn it's very pleasant

I pay with direct debit monthly. Is awesome.

Miss one payment, for any reason including bank error and they will cancel your tax.

You will not be given another opportunity to pay by monthly DD but instead will demand you buy 6 month or 12 month tax up front.

This is from experience.