House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ghostly

Letting Agent Fees At Ridiculous Levels

I've been looking for a new place to rent and I've been a bit flabbergasted at the increase in the amounts that letting agents want for printing out a new tenancy agreement and performing a couple of checks. Last time I was looking a lot of agents were asking between £250 and £300 (this is back in 2010).

Looked at a few places over the last couple of weeks, some agents want half a month's rent + VAT, some a minimum of £360 including VAT. The one that really takes the biscuit wanted £425 + VAT for the tenant fee, wanted to charge £50 + VAT for an agreement renewal and the one that really boiled my p*ss was wanting £25 + VAT for a periodic tenancy (surely illegal / unenforceable!).

In the end the place I've gone for the agent wanted £200 total, still ridiculous but not as bad as the others I've looked at.

What are fees like where you live?

Even if an agent factored in time for viewings (15 mins!), petrol, office overheads, etc I'm struggling to see how it can cost them more than £100. This is of course setting aside the argument that the landlord should pay for this anyway.

/rant

Shocking amounts. Luckily, I have never had to pay them as I have always dealt with the landlord directly.

However, I am looking at the possibility of moving next year so will have to start checking out what some Letting Agents are charging.

Report them all too if they are displaying any fees without VAT included.

A local letting agent p*ssd me off recently and I had a great time raising every tiny extra 'fee' in their tenancy agreement with the ASA.

These fees are probably the real reason why they ponce around in Audi A1s, A3s, BMW 1 series and MINIs in between viewings <_< when a Nissan Micra would do the job at a fraction of the cost.

My landlord charged £185 for a renewal memorandum -- and they even did it electronically so I had to print it out at work.... !

I'd never agreed to these fees, so I ignored their invoices, and they sent a letter saying they "reserve the right to take it out of my deposit".

Not sure what the legality of that is though, as I believe deposits are only reserved for losses to the landlord.

Haven't done any follow-ups -- anyone got any experience on this?

Were the fees displayed on all adverts? If not, then report the agent(s).

Do you mean on the individual ads / rightmove listings? They weren't always on those. They were available on the website, etc. though or information handed over on viewings.

Family friend in London tells me they are paying £140 this month to renew for another year. EA literally prints same doc every year, changes date, then asks friend to sign it.

A scam in other words......

The govt should crack down on these practices. Would win votes for very little effort imo.

They can do precisely nothing, your friend should feel quite happy to explain to the agent that they are employed by the landlord and therefore should not be charging the tenant fees

Two things about this

1) If you don't pay the fee, the tenancy is periodic anyway so who cares

2) the part the agent probably doesn't understand, if a tenant DOES pay the fee, then the agent is now under contract to both parties, I've not seen this challenged in court but quite possibly the tenant would have cause against the agent for any issues with the tenancy as they could rightly say "i paid the agent a fee, therefore they have a duty .,... etc"

I paid £600 I think...I was desperate as moved down new into area and needed to tie up somewhere, anywhere. It is an absolute disgrace. I have heard it being equivalent to a months rent.

500 plus a 25 pound credit check. Desperate situation but priktards have renters by the balls here in London.

Guy inspects house every 3 months and is a condescending cunting ****.

Landlord is well nice but don't have his number.

500 plus a 25 pound credit check. Desperate situation but priktards have renters by the balls here in London.

Guy inspects house every 3 months and is a condescending cunting ****.

Landlord is well nice but don't have his number.

Demand it - pretty sure they have to provide contact details - it should be in your rental agreement anyway ?