House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crashmonitor

Frankie And Benny's ?

Sorry but monitor has a problem with these type of places. My experience is down to being a guest at parties.

Firstly the mains are generally just that such as a pizza with no salad. Fine but with the mains being in the area of £12-£15 not good.

The only complete meal appeared to be the salmon at over fourteen quid, but tbh the portion size probably warrants a side order of chips.

The whole thing seems to be a money making exercise, with waiters making you feel awkward for not ordering more sides and drinks. And then you have the tip to worry about.

Just seems inexplicably expensive, not relaxing, a bit of a McRestaurant. you wonder who the diner are if they are not strait jacketed party guests like monitor.

Now I've got that off my chest to Wetherspoons then for a main and tap water for four quid. :unsure:

Seats and tables bolted to the floor. Do they think we're going to try and nick 'em?

No thanks.

Heaven forbid you move a chair out of the way to give yourself more space to actually try and enjoy their conveyer belt food.

I have to say they do seem popular with student types. I'm a bit biased and being transported into 1950s New York with waiters that look like the Mafia not really my thing. A Lyon's Teas shop with ladies wearing white aprons is more my scene.

Oddly enough, overnight on Fivelive they were talking about how the brain makes a decision to order a dessert or not at the end of a meal.

Apparently they ave done scans and what people think is an instant decision one way or the other is actually a 200 milisecond decision process - which is a long time but we think it is instant. The less time that someone thinks about the decision the more likely they are to order dessert so restaurant staff have to just put an extra bit of hurried pressure on you when asking you if you want dessert and you are more likely to order it.

Oddly enough, overnight on Fivelive they were talking about how the brain makes a decision to order a dessert or not at the end of a meal.

Apparently they ave done scans and what people think is an instant decision one way or the other is actually a 200 milisecond decision process - which is a long time but we think it is instant. The less time that someone thinks about the decision the more likely they are to order dessert so restaurant staff have to just put an extra bit of hurried pressure on you when asking you if you want dessert and you are more likely to order it.

Our host had declined, I think he realised it was already £200 and counting. 10 of us, one course.

There is some US show where CEOs of large corporates go and work undercover in their firms - these firms are nearly always the F&B style franchise food operations.

It is interesting watching them how geared everything is to pushing, pushing, pushing the food on you... asking you if you want this extra and that extra... and then getting you in and out ASAP. American Capitalism in its full awful glory. Sadly, alas, over here now.

There is some US show where CEOs of large corporates go and work undercover in their firms - these firms are nearly always the F&B style franchise food operations.

It is interesting watching them how geared everything is to pushing, pushing, pushing the food on you... asking you if you want this extra and that extra... and then getting you in and out ASAP. American Capitalism in its full awful glory. Sadly, alas, over here now.

Imo experience pretty much goes with other foreign restaurants too. I very much like an English set menu where the sides etc are out of the equation. To me a smiling foreign waiter is usually a money extracting machine.

I liked Johnny Rockets as an occasional visit whilst in the US.

A Five Guys just opened in Swansea in the heart of pub/clubland. I had a look at the prices and they were scary. I would rather go for a meal in a restaurant than pay similar for a burger.

I have to say they do seem popular with student types. I'm a bit biased and being transported into 1950s New York with waiters that look like the Mafia not really my thing. A Lyon's Teas shop with ladies wearing white aprons is more my scene.

Now there's an idea! Bring back Lyons Tea Rooms. Perhaps with stockings and shorter skirts this time....

Now there's an idea! Bring back Lyons Tea Rooms. Perhaps with stockings and shorter skirts this time....

I don't think that is possible in the UK is it with the various gender laws? Not sure how the likes of Hooters get away with it in the US?

I liked Johnny Rockets as an occasional visit whilst in the US.

A Five Guys just opened in Swansea in the heart of pub/clubland. I had a look at the prices and they were scary. I would rather go for a meal in a restaurant than pay similar for a burger.

I have been to a Five guys in Florida twice just off the I75, the Us version is great the UK version is nothing like it so not sure what happened there.

In the US they are reasonably priced, very clean and the food seems really good quality

There is some US show where CEOs of large corporates go and work undercover in their firms - these firms are nearly always the F&;;;B style franchise food operations.

Lots of psychology going on in food.......food is something we all need and can all mostly can afford......the tricks they use to get the most out of you in a very short window of time are fascinating.......both in major chains normally American and supermarkets......you are a number, a cash cow......

look at the ambiance they try and impose, the decor, the colour, the sounds, smells......everything seems to be minutely detailed precisely....almost artificially you walk into a space, eat what they serve you, pay their price to walk out zombie like.......is it just me. ;)

I have been to a Five guys in Florida twice just off the I75, the Us version is great the UK version is nothing like it so not sure what happened there.

In the US they are reasonably priced, very clean and the food seems really good quality

Yep, exactly. Forgot to say that. Completely different experience and reasonably priced.

The estimable Burger LadTM calls out Five Guys for their prices but is generally positive in his review. I think it's safe to say nobody knows a burger better than BL!

http://www.burgerlad.com/search/label/Five%20Guys

The estimable Burger LadTM calls out Five Guys for their prices but is generally positive in his review. I think it's safe to say nobody knows a burger better than BL!

http://www.burgerlad.com/search/label/Five%20Guys

Well there's the excellent Hamburger Me blog. Here's the Five guys summary:

The Five Guys burgers are pretty standard fast food affairs, for all the opening fanfare. Yes, you can load up your burger with up to 15 toppings, and yes you can order your burger online, customised to exactly the way you want it, but I can't help thinking, if I don't go 'all the way', then I'm subsidising people who order their burgers that way...

Ultimately the Five Guys Bacon Cheeseburger is £8.75 - without fries - and that means it's competing with MeatLiquor's Dead Hippie, MeatMarket's Black Palace, and Patty & Bun's Ari Gold on price point. And the little cheeseburger, at £5.50, is competing with the Dirty Burger Cheeseburger. Sorry, Five Guys, you offer NO competition to any of these.

It's very clear that opinion is polarised around the entrance of a big bucks (Charles Dunstone's billions, dontcha know) American burger joint opening up in London. But hey, haters gonna hate, fanboys gonna worship - but for me the burger's ingredients taste cheap, and it's being flogged for too much.

I don't think that is possible in the UK is it with the various gender laws? Not sure how the likes of Hooters get away with it in the US?

It would be OK as long as the men wear stockings and short skirts too.

Because equal.

Must say that looks disgusting. ;)

I think it looks great.

Why has no-one thought of that before ?

Ingredients are a bit questionable though. I would go for :

Top Yorkshire Pudding Layer

Mushrooms

Onions (hold these together with gravy)

potato and parsnip gratin layer

Burger or sliced roast beef.

Another potato thingy

more gravy

Bottom Yorkshire Pudding Layer.

The yorkshire puddings could be made so the whole lot sits inside.

I think it looks great.

Why has no-one thought of that before ?

Ingredients are a bit questionable though. I would go for :

Top Yorkshire Pudding Layer

Mushrooms

Onions (hold these together with gravy)

potato and parsnip gratin layer

Burger or sliced roast beef.

Another potato thingy

more gravy

Bottom Yorkshire Pudding Layer.

The yorkshire puddings could be made so the whole lot sits inside.

I'd imagine you'd need to "eat it before the bread pudding dissolves" --Dave Lister

Does sound nice though

I'm going to stick up for Frankie & Benny's (or Fantastic Benny's as it is known to my apparently blind/illiterate niece & nephew).

We went after a family trip to the cinema, me, wife, sister and her two kids.

The worst part was having to wait to be seated but can't really blame them for being successful ( though normally I'd refuse to wait).

After that the atmosphere sort of saves the place. Fairly loud but not overwhelming rock music. Friendly staff. Lot of families and groups (mostly kids birthdays I'd guess). Quite a lot of fanfare with birthday music etc. The food is typically mediocre at a fairly high price.. probably necessary to pay the rents on the sorts of retail areas you find them in. Definitely didn't feel rushed to leave at the end.

It's not my cup of tea personally, but for youngsters and families it's a bit different and has a buzz. My sister's kids loved it.

I'd take them there again if they wanted to go for sure.