House Price Crash Forum

EAs must be feeling the game is close to up now with mentalist asking prices and volumes in the gutter. :)

There is a feature on Rightmove 'send to friend' where you can email a property listing to a friend and leave a comment. Supposedly for the plebs to write "Look at this one darling, I've fallen in love with it!" My assumption is that the listing EA gets a copy of this message as a gauge of interest in the property and awaits the contact from the overly interested customer to ream appropriately.

I've been emailing choice listings to a made up email address with some well chosen words regarding the asking price:

"The Fat Fingered EA typed another 2 infront of the price here! Idiot."

"Increased by £30k yesterday, reduced £30k today and now showing as reduced. EA outright lying. Desperation is palpable."

"This Agent is going hungry again this month. Price to sell, idiot"

This approach is designed to hit the EA personally whilst they think they are getting a sneak insight to the conversations of potential buyers. My choice of insult at the moment is idiot but this is likely to change. :D

Every little helps, get messaging people!

EAs must be feeling the game is close to up now with mentalist asking prices and volumes in the gutter. :)

There is a feature on Rightmove 'send to friend' where you can email a property listing to a friend and leave a comment. Supposedly for the plebs to write "Look at this one darling, I've fallen in love with it!" My assumption is that the listing EA gets a copy of this message as a gauge of interest in the property and awaits the contact from the overly interested customer to ream appropriately.

I've been emailing choice listings to a made up email address with some well chosen words regarding the asking price:

"The Fat Fingered EA typed another 2 infront of the price here! Idiot."

"Increased by £30k yesterday, reduced £30k today and now showing as reduced. EA outright lying. Desperation is palpable."

"This Agent is going hungry again this month. Price to sell, idiot"

This approach is designed to hit the EA personally whilst they think they are getting a sneak insight to the conversations of potential buyers. My choice of insult at the moment is idiot but this is likely to change. :D

Every little helps, get messaging people!

I said a few weeks ago that I'd done a viewing and the agent pretty much said, without prompting, the prices are mental and it is going to collapse.

they said agents were over valuing some places by 200k just to get work and some people were buying, fighting over, houses at these prices.

none of them can believe it and none of them think it will last.

it's lasted 14 years more than I thought possible, but really, with volumes collapsing and the bad news from London slowly leaking out it really is time for a massive unstoppable correction.

Considering that most estate agents seem to spend a significant amount of their time browsing this forum, I'm not sure that your covert approach is going to be quite so subtle from now on. But kudos for the idea anyway :)

Regarding EA sentiment, I recently started browsing a few of those "business for sale" websites, not with a view to buying anything but to get a feel for what was out there and to see which sectors people are most keen to exit. I was interested to see quite a lot of independent estate agents for sale in my area, alongside all the nail bars, hair dressers and fast food outlets. I realise some of them will just be testing the waters, but you don't publicly advertise your business and risk your competitors getting wind of it for the sheer hell of it.

Edited by Fully Detached

I prefer to just email ea's direct to ask why a certain house has an asking price 20% higher than recent comparable sold prices (sometimes including links to examples) I always try and word it to make it sound like a genuine enquiry from someone who is a bit simple, naive and trusting, hoping to recieve a perfectly rational and logical explanation...

Never seem to get any replies for some strange reason.

Do EAs really care?

They'd probably like prices down and volumes up if anything.

It's the owners of property that care.

Agreed - EA's want sales to happen - waiting 3 months to eke out an extra £10k on the price only makes them an extra £100.

I've been wondering how EA's will react to BTL coming under attack and (hopefully) shrinking as a proportion of the total housing stock.

Many EA's have moved to a lettings focussed model as a way of dealing with falling sales volumes. If the lettings market starts shrinking they're going to need sales volumes to go up, and sharpish. This might well lead them to pressure owners of properties on their books to cut prices or accept proceedable low offers.

How long until EA's start writing to the BTL landlords on their books saying "Did you know that the taxman is planning to bankrupt you? We can help you sell now /sell everything before its too late..."

Edited by Exiled Canadian

Estate agent I know claims that it is very unusual for him to value a property these days. Most sellers tell him what he will be marketing their property for. He then has to decide if he is prepared to take it on based on the level of delusion. Some people lose their shit when he tells them they are so far off the mark.... However there is always one agent that will pander and we are now at the stage locally where we are starting to see twice as many price reductions than new instructions.

It has definitely started to turn.

I once genuinely called EA to ask about price of a house I saw after driving past in a particular road with the EA sign outside. When they told me the price a laughed and said "are you having a laugh - that much for a semi!!"

Though I could just replicate this several times, just to hack of EAs and is similar strategy to OP.

Interesting idea OP!

Makes me wonder if there is a potential privacy / conflict of interests issue here? a numpty might just assume it's a private message to their other half and reveal all sorts of information about what they can afford, what their maximum budget might be, what negotiating tactics they might employ etc etc.

Would it be 'ethical' (lol) or even legal for third parties to be given access without some sort of warning or authorisation?

I wonder if its buried in the T&C's somewhere?

I have been using this facility on Rightmove for years. I have not had any approach from any agents and nothing to make me think the information is being used in any way. Probably wrong but it has been available for years.

From their T&Cs

All content that you upload to our Site will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary and we have the right to use, copy, distribute and disclose to third parties any such content for any purpose. We also have the right to disclose your identity to any third party who claims or alleges that content posted or uploaded by you to our Site breaches that third parties legal rights.

Guaranteed the EA gets sight of every time someone views, shares, favourites, emails a listing. Also how often a listing appears in a search result.

I prefer to just email ea's direct to ask why a certain house has an asking price 20% higher than recent comparable sold prices (sometimes including links to examples) I always try and word it to make it sound like a genuine enquiry from someone who is a bit simple, naive and trusting, hoping to recieve a perfectly rational and logical explanation...

Never seem to get any replies for some strange reason.

I think most estate agents just ignore emails. I enquired about a flat in the spring. It had been reduced from 175 to 165 and on the market for about 5 months. I'd asked for various details (council tax, service charge, lease length, is it owner-occupied?) and got no answer. I called and tried to set up a viewing. They called back later and said we're having trouble getting in touch with the tenant! It went sold subject to contract shortly after then came back on the market saying cash only. I called and said I notice you're asking for cash and you hadn't previously. They said we always needed cash offers, as there is a short lease. It went SSTC again shortly afterwards. It came back on the market a third time recently, asking for offers over 155. This time they mentioned the short lease on the advert and said further details of the cost of extending the lease were available on request. I sent about half a dozen emails asking for more information about the lease. I got one reply which just thanked me for enquiring, and said there are more details here and (you guessed it) a link to the original advert! It's SSTC again....

I reckon about 1 in 4 or 5 agents are prepared to set up viewings by email, but I'm not sure they will ever respond to questions except on the phone or in person.

Considering that most estate agents seem to spend a significant amount of their time browsing this forum

Really? I would have thought most simply wouldn't believe such a site exists. I think if many were introduced at once we'd seee some exploding heads in EAs

I think most estate agents just ignore emails. I enquired about a flat in the spring. It had been reduced from 175 to 165 and on the market for about 5 months. I'd asked for various details (council tax, service charge, lease length, is it owner-occupied?) and got no answer. I called and tried to set up a viewing. They called back later and said we're having trouble getting in touch with the tenant! It went sold subject to contract shortly after then came back on the market saying cash only. I called and said I notice you're asking for cash and you hadn't previously. They said we always needed cash offers, as there is a short lease. It went SSTC again shortly afterwards. It came back on the market a third time recently, asking for offers over 155. This time they mentioned the short lease on the advert and said further details of the cost of extending the lease were available on request. I sent about half a dozen emails asking for more information about the lease. I got one reply which just thanked me for enquiring, and said there are more details here and (you guessed it) a link to the original advert! It's SSTC again....

I reckon about 1 in 4 or 5 agents are prepared to set up viewings by email, but I'm not sure they will ever respond to questions except on the phone or in person.

I suspect many EA's don't want a written record of their communications with potential buyers in case things are "misconstrued..."

I suspect many EA's don't want a written record of their communications with potential buyers in case things are "misconstrued..."

+1

It's a demonstration of their incompetence (etc). Perhaps also their inability to read.

Edited by billybong

Anecdotal but...

Came through the door [of my rented property] the other day to a business card from a local EA with "we'd love to sell your house!" on the back.

Meaning to write in red pen "tough sh*t. It's not yours!" and pop it back through theirs. But it's a long walk.

Of course the best thing to say from a HPC point of view would be something like "Who'd want to pay the going rate for this sh*thole?".

Anecdotal but...

Came through the door [of my rented property] the other day to a business card from a local EA with "we'd love to sell your house!" on the back

I've had two of those delivered and seen plenty of signs in the Windows asking too.. Seems desperate to me.

I doubt the EA gets a copy of the email, unless you have consented in some way to have your data (and 'private' conversation in an email) harvested.

Maybe they don't get a copy, maybe they do. But we know they definitely get a copy when you enquire about a property. There's an EA round here who overprices considerably - when you follow the market as I do, they stick out like a sore thumb. I'm always badgering her with fake names and emails about how greedy she is. I don't think Rightmove filter profanities out, not that I use them of course.

Quite honestly if "young people" are so disenfranchised with the housing market I think this is a good approach, an organised fight back to waste EAs time via rightmove to make it an inelligble source of income for them. Most EAs rely on 80% of viewings coming via Rightmove I believe.