House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Antibiotics

Yet another message this morning about how we must significantly cut down their use and the other day trying to get people to be "antibiotic champions"? Do wot John?

It's one of these annoying "messages" that are about "raising awareness" of things of which I am already aware and am anyway not doing in the first place.

And in this case surely 99.9% of people are in this position; last I heard antibiotics are prescribed by doctors.

As half the country has an IQ <100, I doubt that 99% of the country is aware or gives a flying fart. That is, until they demand antibiotics and their GPs refuse them. The NHS Complaints Authority will be snowed under.

Doctors don't give out antibiotics like sweeties.

They were saying that the antibiotic of last resort has been injected into animals and passed on to humans in the food chain......so now our resistance is low, the drug firms are reluctant to invest in R&D for some reason.....must be more money to be made selling other not so life threatening products.

Doctors don't give out antibiotics like sweeties.

Actually there's some evidence to suggest that they might do:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34790038

97% of us who ask for them, get them.

Got to say I'm closer in my views to BossyBabe on this. Lost count of the number of relatives/friends who didn't finish their course of antibiotics because they felt better.

Doctors might get paid something for selling certain pills. There's money in pharmaceuticals. :blink:

I get fed up of morons expecting antibiotics for viral infections.

....and similarly their use in food production.

Next time the UK discovers a new drug that works for such infections we should treat it like crypto technology and refuse to let it out of the country.

Got to say I'm closer in my views to BossyBabe on this. Lost count of the number of relatives/friends who didn't finish their course of antibiotics because they felt better.

Guilty I'm afraid :( but not because I felt better. In recent weeks I've had two courses of Amoxycillin that didn't work because each time the infection came back within days (dental abscesses). Each course was only for 5 days and wasn't long enough. Things would just be starting to settle down on day 4-5, so maybe an extra two days would have done the trick. Also I've have had a course of Metronidazole in the last week. This time prescribed for 7 days but got to day 4 and the side effects were so bad my GP told me to stop taking them, but as it happens so far, so good.

I've had three offending teeth removed this morning and mouth is still packed with gauze and unsurprisingly I'm dribbling a bit :o

Usually I'd avoid having antibiotics but had to make an exception as I've been suffering a lot over the past two months.

Guilty I'm afraid :( but not because I felt better. In recent weeks I've had two courses of Amoxycillin that didn't work because each time the infection came back within days (dental abscesses). Each course was only for 5 days and wasn't long enough. Things would just be starting to settle down on day 4-5, so maybe an extra two days would have done the trick. Also I've have had a course of Metronidazole in the last week. This time prescribed for 7 days but got to day 4 and the side effects were so bad my GP told me to stop taking them, but as it happens so far, so good.

I've had three offending teeth removed this morning and mouth is still packed with gauze and unsurprisingly I'm dribbling a bit :o

Usually I'd avoid having antibiotics but had to make an exception as I've been suffering a lot over the past two months.

My understanding is metronizadole is the antibiotic of of choice for dental abscesses - I've had it and it worked like a charm - no side effects. Did you drink (alcohol) while on metronizadole? as it has serious side effects if you consume alcohol.

I don't know why amoxycillin was given to you for abscesses

My understanding is metronizadole is the antibiotic of of choice for dental abscesses - I've had it and it worked like a charm - no side effects. Did you drink (alcohol) while on metronizadole? as it has serious side effects if you consume alcohol.

No I don't drink alcohol at all. Just unlucky with these I think, they were definitely working well and I would have tried to struggle on with them but the hallucinations and confusion were really bad.

That's what I was given, it kills bacteria: worked within about 36 hours.

Because it's dirt cheap.

My dentist prescribed it to me for an abscess. Woke up early hours with horribly itchy hands. Only relief was holding them under cold running water. Dentist gave me a new scrip and that was fine.

Our patients do that - take 1 capsule prescribed for a dental abscess then ring back an hour later to say they're still in pain. Duh!?

I find the idea that people demand antibiotics from their doctors bizarre. How did this come about? I know 99% of thepopulation are completely stupid (+/- 1%), and I can see how to anyone born a century ago, antibiotics must seem like a miracle cure, but there's nothing I can think of in my own life experiences or education that would cause people to do so.

I find the idea that people demand antibiotics from their doctors bizarre. How did this come about? I know 99% of thepopulation are completely stupid (+/- 1%), and I can see how to anyone born a century ago, antibiotics must seem like a miracle cure, but there's nothing I can think of in my own life experiences or education that would cause people to do so.

I assume all those appointments I'm unable to get are for people claiming their free prescriptions for antibiotics. (Actually I can self refer for mental health issues and physio now, so I suspect AB would be the only reason for going to the doc these days)

Would be interesting to see the stats on how many people taking AB get them free.

I've always wondered how 'anti' biotics and 'pro' biotics can both be good for you.

Well actually antibiotics can kill your natural gut bacteria, and give you bad guts. :blink:

Bacteria travel a lot and don't need passports. Best not to panic though.

When I went to Hyderabad, there was a "bird flu panic" on and people were wearing face masks, and I had my temperature checked with a temperature gun thing at the airport. Ten minutes later I am watching children playing in sewage, and half a day later my guts went rotten for a few days.

Bacteria travel a lot and don't need passports. Best not to panic though.

When I went to Hyderabad, there was a "bird flu panic" on and people were wearing face masks, and I had my temperature checked with a temperature gun thing at the airport. Ten minutes later I am watching children playing in sewage, and half a day later my guts went rotten for a few days.

Did you mean to post this in the "Your Weirdest Dreams" thread? :lol:

Did you mean to post this in the "Your Weirdest Dreams" thread? :lol:

It took me a week or so before I could face a chilli omelette. My Indian colleague, was eating one at breakfast, and it looked a lot better than cornflakes, so I had one too. :unsure: My bum was better by then.

Everytime I go somewhere foreign, I had bad tummy.

I thought this was in China?

If they produce the resistant strains over there, then what difference does it make how we behave over here? :blink:

None, immediately. But according to one news report I saw it'll take about 3-5 years for the newly evolved resistance to travel the globe.

None, immediately. But according to one news report I saw it'll take about 3-5 years for the newly evolved resistance to travel the globe.

No matter what we do, China has created it and it will arrive here. It won't be long before the false nose industry makes a spectacular revival. :ph34r:

No matter what we do, China has created it and it will arrive here. It won't be long before the false nose industry makes a spectacular revival. :ph34r:

Exactly, this is all about "doing the right thing". Which is supremely irrelevant as the bugs will develop the resistance in the places where antibiotics are handed out with the morning paper and then naturally spread.

Reminds me of the climate change lobby.

Exactly, this is all about "doing the right thing". Which is supremely irrelevant as the bugs will develop the resistance in the places where antibiotics are handed out with the morning paper and then naturally spread.

Reminds me of the climate change lobby.

King Canute knew you can't do much about nature. Just don't worry. ;) Don't worry about things that might not happen.

People complaining about overuse in the UK have clearly never lived in other countries.

This was the interesting bit for me..

It is thought the overuse of colistin – the drug of last resort – in farm animals led to the creation of the world’s first completely antibiotic-resistant bacteria which was discovered in China.

As others have pointed out the NHS is probably only guilty of handing out low doses of cheap antibiotics to save money. If the bacteria aren't being killed fully then it makes sense that they are having a chance to build up resistance.