House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

41 Degrees - Over 100 Degrees Farenheit - Forecast In Sydney

Had a story on the radio just now of an Oz farmer who stopped his car to warn his neighbours of a bush fire and the fire was apparently moving so rapidly that he lost his life.

Freaky weather in Oz - or freakier.

Sydney is 33 degrees South of the Equator, and it is Summer down there. I am 51 degrees North and it is Winter. I expect Sydney to be warm.I shall email my friend in NSW and ask for some of their weather. I am cheesed off with this incessant rain. If I wanted that I'd move to Cumbria. :wacko:

Could there be something in this global warming business.....so mild in UK at the moment, hardly needed to use the heating or wear a coat.....heat and floods kind of rings true.

Could there be something in this global warming business.....so mild in UK at the moment, hardly needed to use the heating or wear a coat.....heat and floods kind of rings true.

We're recovering from the mini ice age (frost fairs on the Thames) so of course it's warmer than it was a hundred years ago. This increased energy in the atmosphere means more wind, evaporation so more rain, and hence more storms.

IMO global warming is happening but is a primarily natural process so I don't think that my neighbour should be imprisoned for having a second car.

Let's see whether it snows at Christmas.

With the piss poor sunspot count in the last few years, we may be in for a cold spell over the next 50 years or so. Although we won't actually know until 50 years or so,

We're recovering from the mini ice age (frost fairs on the Thames) so of course it's warmer than it was a hundred years ago. This increased energy in the atmosphere means more wind, evaporation so more rain, and hence more storms.

IMO global warming is happening but is a primarily natural process so I don't think that my neighbour should be imprisoned for having a second car.

I am not entirely convinced about man creating the changes in weather.....the globe has always been changing part of evolution, having said that I do think we are not helping and are in part compounding the speed in which it happens.

Well yes, I wonder what the residents of Doggerland blamed the rising sea levels on. Campfires?

This is a mild November, but November is often mild. We now have "named storms" because that makes them ever so scary, but in the old days we just called it Autumn - a period of weather where it was all a bit random and rained a lot.

I am not entirely convinced about man creating the changes in weather.....the globe has always been changing part of evolution, having said that I do think we are not helping and are in part compounding the speed in which it happens.

At times in the past there have been jungle conditions in polar regions and ice sheets on the equator (not both at the same time obviously)

Whilst man is having some minor effect on the current climate it's nothing compared with the changes that occur naturally over time.

We should blame it all on God, and pray more. That was the old fashioned way. Autumn is wet and windy and variable.

Well yes, I wonder what the residents of Doggerland blamed the rising sea levels on. Campfires?

This is a mild November, but November is often mild. We now have "named storms" because that makes them ever so scary, but in the old days we just called it Autumn - a period of weather where it was all a bit random and rained a lot.

I have this image of somebody going around demanding a deer leg levy from anybody with an extra large campfire because the sea level was rising and it's your campfire that's to blame.

I am cheesed off with this incessant rain. If I wanted that I'd move to Cumbria. :wacko:

Cumbria is good. One of the least messed up bits of England.

Anyway it always seemed damper when I lived in Devon.

Let's see whether it snows at Christmas.

With the piss poor sunspot count in the last few years, we may be in for a cold spell over the next 50 years or so. Although we won't actually know until 50 years or so,

The forecast is for snow this weekend, in the north and down the eastern side of the country.

Had a story on the radio just now of an Oz farmer who stopped his car to warn his neighbours of a bush fire and the fire was apparently moving so rapidly that he lost his life.

Freaky weather in Oz - or freakier.

Three German tourists also killed, according to the news.

Australia has so many bushfires, and terrible drought on and off. Both times I have been there has been severe drought - roadside signs saying 'Every drop is precious' and even the palm trees looking very sorry.

God bless rain. Having lived in deserts I do try to be thankful for it, even if I did get soaked yesterday walking from the bus stop. So many umbrellas at home and I hardly ever think to take one.

The forecast is for snow this weekend, in the north and down the eastern side of the country.

There's already been a bit oop North.

The temperature in the likes of Sydney and Melbourne can be very changeable in summer.

Get a wind from the North/West and it can get crazy hot within days. The opposite and it can get 'relatively' cool in days.

You can see temps going from 42c to 20c within 48hrs sometime - and vice versa. Similar with the likes of Chicago - but with different wind directions causing it of course.

There does not appear to be anywhere to escape these temps in Oz when they go crazy - Melbourne can be as hot as Sydney or Perth, Darwin, Alice Springs, etc?

I suppose Tasmania is their only hope of going a bit south to escape the heat or over to NZ?

There does not appear to be anywhere to escape these temps in Oz when they go crazy - Melbourne can be as hot as Sydney or Perth, Darwin, Alice Springs, etc?

I suppose Tasmania is their only hope of going a bit south to escape the heat or over to NZ?

Melbourne and surrounds is pretty chilly in winter.

I dont suppose many plan to escape the heat when it happens - they just get on with it. Not pleasant though.

At times in the past there have been jungle conditions in polar regions and ice sheets on the equator (not both at the same time obviously)

Whilst man is having some minor effect on the current climate it's nothing compared with the changes that occur naturally over time.

I think it's more a case of the continent now at the Antarctic once having been near the equator, and so forth.

Though back in early history we supposedly had a 'snowball earth', almost completely iced over.

One environmental casualty to the fires is the sub-tropical rainforest in Oz, which is being encroached upon by temperate rainforest.

When eucalyptus trees catch fire, they have so much flammable oil in them, they virtually explode. So they burn easily, and are replaced by temperate species.