House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

StainlessSteelCat

World On Cusp Of 'post-Antibiotic Era'

This is very bad news indeed:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34857015

Personally, I'm pretty pissed off about this as the possibility has been known for years and we've basically sleep-walked into it through dishing them out like smarties to the slightly unwell, and giving them to livestock so they grow a little faster. What a massive own goal.

A genuine tragedy of the commons.

Odd, two topics that have a vegetarian link back-to-back..

When I last needed antibiotics, I was asked when I was last given them, and if I ate meat.

Since I haven't eaten meat for 20 years, I won't have ingested them that way.

I don't suppose they feed antibiotics to vegetables.

I'm not concerned, there are countless natural 'antibiotics' that work just as well (based on personal experience and on plenty reports easily found by googling for natural antibiotics substitutes).

The only reason big pharma ignores them is because they can't make much money on them.

But people still go to the doctor when they get a cough or cold - they demand antibiotics. They can't afford to be ill!!!!

Unfortunately a cough can last 2-3 weeks - it has to run it's course. There is no magic cure for a viral cough!

Most coughs clear up within three weeks and don't require any treatment. For more persistent coughs, it's a good idea to see your GP so they can investigate the cause.

CLICK THIS LINK IF YOU HAVE A COLD! http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cough/pages/introduction.aspx

Recommendation - If you have a tickly cough that catches your throat - I find Halls cough sweets are very good to numb the tickle.

Crushed paracetamol honey, fresh lemon juice and hot water does the trick......or do what some of the Japanese and others do for prevention and walk about with a mask over nose and mouth, stops the inhalation of polluted air also.

I have several American friends who will buy over the counter antibiotics in a drug store whenever they feel under the weather, "just in case". I've told them they are crazy but they say lots of people do it so whatever, they are doing it too.

I have several American friends who will buy over the counter antibiotics in a drug store whenever they feel under the weather, "just in case". I've told them they are crazy but they say lots of people do it so whatever, they are doing it too.

OTC antibiotics? surely antibiotics are prescription only.

I believe that bacterial resistance to antibiotics is developed primarily in areas heavily contaminated by the effluent of antibiotic producing factories. It's crappy production practices in China and India at least as much as over prescription by vets and doctors that have contributed to this.

Crushed paracetamol honey, fresh lemon juice and hot water does the trick......or do what some of the Japanese and others do for prevention and walk about with a mask over nose and mouth, stops the inhalation of polluted air also.

A myraid of caribbean spices and a good splash of rum for me! Don't boil the alcohol off though, add rum at the end!

Didn't someone link to a chart yesterday that shows loads more people get them in winter.

It's GPs for the most part dishing them out when they shouldn't. I suspect the number of people self-prescribing in the UK is very small.

Good to see Junior Doctors are choosing to go on strike - maybe with their time off - they could try to learn more about the actual job they get ******ing paid for.

Well done them.

Sums up the last generation. I don't need to explain....

Not guilty. The first time I have received antibiotics since a kid was for a poisoned hand last year. Unfortunately my body said what the f**k is this and I turned red, literally. Me and doctors are rarely seen together.

A myraid of caribbean spices and a good splash of rum for me! Don't boil the alcohol off though, add rum at the end!

Got some dried black eyed peas....know have got to soak them overnight, you or anyone else wouldn't happen to have a good rice and peas recipie you could share....much appreciated... ;)

Odd, two topics that have a vegetarian link back-to-back..

When I last needed antibiotics, I was asked when I was last given them, and if I ate meat.

Since I haven't eaten meat for 20 years, I won't have ingested them that way.

I don't suppose they feed antibiotics to vegetables.

you'll have just ingested a lot more pesticide that they put on fruit and veg.

..and what happens a few years down the line, when the vegetable liberation front are able to put sonar next to a lettuce as being cut from the soil, and record it screaming?

will you still be so compassionate towards ALL living things?

my take is..

sh1t happens,nature in all its glory is brutal, and some things have to die in order for others to live.

there is a case for making the conditions of the condemned as pleasant as possible,before their demise though..and we should be as sparing and efficient with them

we probably wouldn't like being couped up in a battery farm if that was us.

so yeah, for me free range if and where possible....have meat as a partial ingredient mostly, and bulk up with pulses/grains/veg/rice/noodles.

go for the 1/2 pound steak maybe twice a month as a treat.

it just takes a bit of conditioning in mindset really(as well as some good advertising), to change the habits of post-pub delicatessen.

going for a pot pasta/chilli/burrito is actually much,much tastier than a greasy kebab or bargain bucket of chicken+chips at the end of a session.