House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Eagle

Germany Becomes The First Nation To Ban ‘Chick Shredding’

A newly developed technology will allow for male chicks to be identified while still in the egg. This will allow removal of the eggs before they hatch and will end the need for industries to grind the newly hatched males, thus terminating this heartless act.

Male chicks are not even considered ‘commercially viable’ for the effort to raise them for meat, meaning that companies find ways to dispose of them in cruel methods. These male chicks are either suffocated or ground up alive soon after hatching

AnimalsAustralia has reported that Germany has devised a procedure that will allow an alternative to the mass-slaughter of male chicks that are hatched into the country’s egg industry every year.

Germany’s Agricultural Minister, Christian Schmidt, has advised that the process of ‘chick shredding’ be completely phased out by the year 2017. This will make Germany the first country to put an end to this cruel practice.

http://www.ewao.com/a/germany-becomes-the-first-nation-to-ban-chick-shredding/

1000-germany-chick-gassing-conveyor-belt

Blimey, I had no idea about his cruel practice, what kind of monster comes up with such a cruel procedure?

It's probably more humane than what happens to the ones allowed to live

While you almost have a point there, there really is no need to shred chicks alive (other than to maximise profits), they could at the very least gas them first.

That said, I'm not sure I can ever eat an egg again without being reminded of this... :(

While I did not become a vegetarian 20 years ago for reasons related to animal cruelty, rather, that I found myself one day staring at a grisly lamb chop and in an instant became unable to disassociate what was on the plate from a bloody, dripping carcass hanging up in an abattoir somewhere, rendering meat inedible because from that point on, that was what I saw on the plate: there are times when I am glad that I am.

That said, I do eat eggs. We always buy free-range. Though that doesn't mean to say that this sort of practice doesn't go on with free-range eggs.

So from now on I'll pay the extra and buy the "Happy Eggs" ones and hope this doesn't happen with them. Though I wonder.

So I've emailed them to ask:

Hi

We have a keen interest in animal welfare and are vegetarian - though we do eat eggs.

I saw this article recently:

http://www.ewao.com/a/germany-becomes-the-first-nation-to-ban-chick-shredding/

While I am confident that the answer will be "Yes", can you reassure me that this sort of practice does not take place at any stage in the production of your products nor at any of your suppliers?

Thanks,

Mark

Why do you think the males get shredded? It's because of eggs, there are no good eggs, only bad eggs.

Having said that, it's the world we have always lived in so it won't stop me eating eggs or chicken.

The article says:

Sadly, the act of chick shredding has become a standard practice among the variety of egg farming, including free range.

I wonder if organic farmers also do chick shredding?

Even then I wouldn't bet on the male chicks leading a long and fruitful life.

I'm aware of that, what I can't tolerate is the shredding alive.

Surely there are far less cruel methods of killing male chicks, like for example gassing?

I rarely eat eggs anyway, so it's not much of a change for me to stop eating them completely.

I recall this has been discussed before on hpc but because the farmers were struggling to hire people even though it pays £40k. Apparently quite a skilled job to sex a chicken as they whizz past on the conveyor belt.

I am unaware of this practice. I am no chicken farmer. Do we have any chicken farmers here?

I'm aware of that, what I can't tolerate is the shredding alive.

Surely there are far less cruel methods of killing male chicks, like for example gassing?

Chicks are tiny, shredders can be made very large and very fast. I would have thought brain death would occur so close to instantaneously after the chick enters the shredder as to make no difference.

Why does it make no sense to keep the males for meat ? I don't get that bit ?

Very good news; well done the Germans for developing this tech.

Though there is bad news in this for some. Chicken sexing (telling male / female apart at a glance when very young) is a highly skilled job which takes a lot of training and the best are well-paid. This will put them out of a job.

Here's another shredder on a smaller scale - do not view if you are easily disturbed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytZZAa2MH_E

It seems tempting to buy 15 eggs for £1 at the large discounters. But everyone who eats eggs needs to know more about how we can produce them so cheaply. The other thing is about factory farming, is that the shells of the eggs are weaker, and they can crack before being layed, killing the chicken (probably painful and slow) . We won't buy factory farmed eggs again, and go for free range, but don't know of any egg producer that doesn't do this shredding practice.

-----

Someone made a video comparing humans to a chicken factory line. We just don't have a shredder for the "useless eaters". :blink:

You can have large numbers of eggs and then meat or just meat.

Not sure that's the reason.. old hens are tough (though might be ok for ready meals).

Most hens raised for meat are killed within a few months, don't think they lay many eggs in that time.

If they are poussin "a la masterchief " they are probably less than a month old.

Not sure that's the reason.. old hens are tough (though might be ok for ready meals).

Most hens raised for meat are killed within a few months, don't think they lay many eggs in that time.

If they are poussin "a la masterchief " they are probably less than a month old.

Sure it's simply that there are breeds optimised for meat and breeds optimised for eggs.

This sort of stuff is the reason we either kill most of the meat we eat ourselves, or get it from local sources that we know well. If I was so skint I had to eat factory meat I'd probably go vegetarian.

The first video posted by 200p, shocking though it is, kind of supports the idea that death is virtually instantaneous. If you add to that the fact that the chicks can have no idea of what is going to happen so no fear, no sadness, no emotion, then actually it's not that inhumane. We need to be careful not to be guilty of anthropomorphism.

But better that it doesn't have to happen, so well done zee Germans.

I would expect shredding to be a near instantaneous death.

and no religious guy is paid to allah akbar 3 times for each death.

While I did not become a vegetarian 20 years ago for reasons related to animal cruelty, rather, that I found myself one day staring at a grisly lamb chop and in an instant became unable to disassociate what was on the plate from a bloody, dripping carcass hanging up in an abattoir somewhere, rendering meat inedible because from that point on, that was what I saw on the plate: there are times when I am glad that I am.

That said, I do eat eggs. We always buy free-range. Though that doesn't mean to say that this sort of practice doesn't go on with free-range eggs.

So from now on I'll pay the extra and buy the "Happy Eggs" ones and hope this doesn't happen with them. Though I wonder.

So I've emailed them to ask:

Missus is faux vegan so I've seen a lot of what goes on re the industrail food industry. Free range is 'has access to a door' so that could be ten thousand hens in a barn with a cat flap, not many will ever see daylight. Also seen cowspiracy amongst other documentaries but I'm still neither vegan nor veggie.

Edit to add faux!