House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Backyard Bunker

Never really warmed to this guy with his 'I'm mad me' Mad Inventor routine that's gone way past the point of trying too hard.

Looks like it's done on the cheap and fabricated from mild steel. Think it will have serious issues with damp/condensation/corrosion.

Love it.

:)

Does it need PP?

What an irritating c*ck. When The SHTF he'll be first to go.

No good having a bunker where everyone know where it is.

Fake guns are no good for defending it.

A petrol generator is no use in a confined space.

Personally, I would fake a nuclear warning, watch him scamper down his cubby hole, and then place a large heavy object over the trapdoor. Job done.

This is a spooky thread.

For several weeks I have, as an exercise, being working out the logistics involved in preparing some kind of bunker in which to survive a major event.

It has been an academic exericise looking into the practicalities, the logistics, what skills would be required, what would need to be in it, location and how much it would cost.

I had decided today to start a thread on here to get the opinion of the HPC group-think.

Basically, I have come to the conclusion that the cost would be prohibitive. That you would need a truly enormous amount of kit and footstuff within it to cover most evenutalities and, perhaps most difficult of all, you would need a small army of people to actually build the thing for you before you could even think about stocking it - thereby negating any secrecy that you probably would want.

You would want everything from basic sewing kits in it through toothbrushes to generators, solar panels and computers. The proverbial HPC stash of baked beans alone would not suffice.

Still have air raid shelter,

http://www.military-history.org/articles/air-raid-shelters.htm

The most common and well-known British air-raid shelter of the Second World War is the Anderson shelter. By the start of 1939, more than a million of these part-sunken shelters, named after the politician responsible for ARP, had been installed in private gardens. Built of curved sheets of steel, they held four to six people each, and were given free to low-income families. By the time the Blitz began in earnest, more than 2.25 million families had Anderson shelters in their gardens.

What an irritating c*ck. When The SHTF he'll be first to go.

No good having a bunker where everyone know where it is.

Fake guns are no good for defending it.

A petrol generator is no use in a confined space.

Personally, I would fake a nuclear warning, watch him scamper down his cubby hole, and then place a large heavy object over the trapdoor. Job done.

I was thinking that.

There was a 'bungalow' in Cheam in a quiet suburban street that was sold off after the end of the cold war by the MOD. It had a lift and several underground levels, dormitory, kitchen, aircon, genreator, etc..

There was a 'bungalow' in Cheam in a quiet suburban street that was sold off after the end of the cold war by the MOD. It had a lift and several underground levels, dormitory, kitchen, aircon, genreator, etc..

Yep quite a few of these were sold off. I wanted to buy one for a hobby room.

I was thinking that.

You could construct an air intake and exhaust that piped to ground level. You would need to engineer a solution to dissipate the exhaust fumes so they didn't attract attention and the risk of the piping getting blocked was minimised.

You could construct an air intake and exhaust that piped to ground level. You would need to engineer a solution to dissipate the exhaust fumes so they didn't attract attention and the risk of the piping getting blocked was minimised.

The intake could look like a periscope, and the exhaust could be styled on a rather large toadstool.

The intake could look like a periscope, and the exhaust could be styled on a rather large toadstool.

I was thinking garden gnome smoking a cigarette for the exhaust.

bunker.jpg

Edit:

It is a Welsh thing.

No it's a British thing. I went to an MOD place once for work once which didn't appear on the map, but had signposts everywhere once you got near.

My mate at work - Shaun the fat I.T. bloke - is alleged to have already constructed such a bunker.

It is reputed to have a power-source, an ample stash of food, fuel and water, and is full of everything you'll need to survive the apocolypse - from CB radios to fully-automatic weapons...!

But why is he telling all his workmates this...?

Well I reckon it's a load of ****** to get all of us to turn-up at his gaffe when the shit hits the fan, and once we fall asleep in his post-armageddon sanctuary, he'll slice our throats and eat our livers washed down with a nice Chianti.

Never trusted I.T. bods me like...

XYY

My mate at work - Shaun the fat I.T. bloke - is alleged to already have completed such a bunker.

It is reputed to have a power-source, an ample stash of food, fuel and water, and is full of everything you'll need to survive the apocolypse - from CB radios to fully-automatic weapons...!

But why is he telling all his workmates this...?

Well I reckon it's a load of ****** to get all of us to turn-up at his gaffe when the shit hits the fan, and once we fall asleep in his post-armageddon sanctuary, he'll slice our throats and eat our livers washed down with a nice Chianti.

Never trusted I.T. bods me like...

XYY

Cannibalism is unfortunately common within IT departments! You won't get far with a 4 Watt CB. You need some of my apocalyptic radio equipment

You could cover your bunker costs by using it as a cannabis farm whilst you await the apocalypse.

I've never been able to decide which is my preferred apocalypse, a zombie apocalypse, or a killer robot apocalypse. I was thinking perhaps the best would be a combined zombie and killer robot apocalypse but it might turn out the killer robots just spend the whole time killing zombies and all be a bit dull.