House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crashmonitor

Smoking And Poverty

Just something that has become apparent to me lately with a moderate smoking habit now costing over £100 a week.

In particular a cousin who has spiralled into debt has brought this to my attention, she has been forgiven family loans time and time again (I've been fleeced for £2,000 and that's the tip of the iceberg), is using food banks (l would imagine most food bankers smoke).

It's a destructive drug, the taxation is regressive as the poorer you are the more you smoke and it makes its users immoral with other people's money so they can get their fix.

May be excise duty is unfair.

Main reason the poor are poor end of.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/592360/Cigarettes-smoking-cancer-15-pounds-a-pack-price-rise-NHS

Just something that has become apparent to me lately with a moderate smoking habit now costing over £100 a week.

In particular a cousin who has spiralled into debt has brought this to my attention, she has been forgiven family loans time and time again (I've been fleeced for £2,000 and that's the tip of the iceberg), is using food banks (l would imagine most food bankers smoke).

It's a destructive drug, the taxation is regressive as the poorer you are the more you smoke and it makes its users immoral with other people's money so they can get their fix.

May be excise duty is unfair.

Main reason the poor are poor end of.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/592360/Cigarettes-smoking-cancer-15-pounds-a-pack-price-rise-NHS

£15 a pack will really help to develop the black market.

I don't smoke and don't really like people doing it around me, but the tobacco tax situation in the UK seems extreme and abusive. It's not even what I'd call highly taxed, it's genuinely extreme.

Is it possible to do a FOI and ask how many food bankers smoke?

I can't imagine that kind of information has ever been gathered.

I would think gambling is disproportionately a problem for the poor too. Especially 'low level' stuff like the lottery and scratch cards. Don't think I've ever noticed someone well heeled buying a scratch card.

I can't imagine that kind of information has ever been gathered.

I would think gambling is disproportionately a problem for the poor too. Especially 'low level' stuff like the lottery and scratch cards. Don't think I've ever noticed someone well heeled buying a scratch card.

The rich gamble on different things. The horses, the pools, etc.

Since I've recently become relatively rich, I've taken to having a flutter myself. A few hundred here and there on crowdfunding ventures.

The rich gamble on different things. The horses, the pools, etc.

Since I've recently become relatively rich, I've taken to having a flutter myself. A few hundred here and there on crowdfunding ventures.

Slightly disagree with that, most bookies are sited in pretty bad neighbourhoods, certainly the case in Nottingham.

I think rich people gamble on stuff where the odds are weighted in their favour...the Equity market.

Those in power do not care about the price of things as they can afford $10 cigars.

I don't smoke and don't really like people doing it around me, but the tobacco tax situation in the UK seems extreme and abusive. It's not even what I'd call highly taxed, it's genuinely extreme.

I honestly think there is a conspiracy of silence and cigarettes are a good way of the government retrieving a good part of the benefits they hand out. Surely it's not rocket science if the poorest members of Society are hobbled by a £100 a week habit.

I guess the pc left also play into the Government's hands, I thought I would get a roasting for mentioning this as it

looks judgemental on poor people's spending habits. But after years of seeing dozens of friends and family in financial trouble the one common link is smoking. The drug is so addictive, morals go out of the window when it comes to the poor finding the money to feed their addiction.

If the tax burden was reduced wouldn't smokers just smoke more anyway, i.e. wipe out the 'savings'?

Fine by me though, if they die quicker it's less for the NHS/taxpayer to pay for.

If the tax burden was reduced wouldn't smokers just smoke more anyway, i.e. wipe out the 'savings'?

Fine by me though, if they die quicker it's less for the NHS/taxpayer to pay for.

I imagine there's a limit to just how much you can smoke a day, and the heavy smokers are already at it.

You don't think the Church of England has some evil plan going here, get food banks up and running so the poor can smoke themselves to death quicker. :ph34r:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/11280307/Some-people-using-foodbanks-buy-cigarettes-instead-of-food.html

I honestly think there is a conspiracy of silence and cigarettes are a good way of the government retrieving a good part of the benefits they hand out. Surely it's not rocket science if the poorest members of Society are hobbled by a £100 a week habit.

I guess the pc left also play into the Government's hands, I thought I would get a roasting for mentioning this as it

looks judgemental on poor people's spending habits. But after years of seeing dozens of friends and family in financial trouble the one common link is smoking. The drug is so addictive, morals go out of the window when it comes to the poor finding the money to feed their addiction.

Can't imagine that anyone who is smoking that much isn't getting them on the cheap by buying up a shedload while they are on holiday.

Edited for clarity but the clarity didnt improve. You know what I mean.

I have been in Colombia for 3 months and 20 Marlboro are 80p. Oddly hardly anyone smokes. The few smokers I have seen are over 50. Can't explain why?

Can't imagine that anyone who isn't smoking that much isn't getting them on the cheap by buying up a shedload while they are on holiday.

Well there is a black market in every poor community...the poorest don't go on holidays, they are often mentally ill and don't leave their town let alone go abroad. Even if they are getting a half priced boot leg product or doing roll ups it is still crucifying their budgets. Add that to Wonga, gambling, vodka and there is nothing left for a decent standard of living.

Having lived in many poor communities the truth behind how poor people live is so far removed from the picture the church and the left like to portray it just isn't true.

Slightly disagree with that, most bookies are sited in pretty bad neighbourhoods, certainly the case in Nottingham.

I was thinking of the richest person I know.

If he doesn't make it to the races in person, he'll have a flutter online.

You don't think the Church of England has some evil plan going here, get food banks up and running so the poor can smoke themselves to death quicker. :ph34r:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/11280307/Some-people-using-foodbanks-buy-cigarettes-instead-of-food.html

CofE? It's not them who use smoke to signal Habemus Papam.

Oh right, yeah, the other b***ers do it more directly, with great clouds of incense that haven't been through the kind of relative cleanup the drug-pushers-for-profit have.

Certainly true that many are trying but can't quit.

I see 4/5 people a week who are in some kind of financial crisis...pretty much all smokers.

Everything is pretty much unaffordable these days...booze and fags and expensive gadgets are the things that tip people over the edge :)

P

You aren't special, you can quit.

Well there is a black market in every poor community...the poorest don't go on holidays, they are often mentally ill and don't leave their town let alone go abroad. Even if they are getting a half priced boot leg product or doing roll ups it is still crucifying their budgets. Add that to Wonga, gambling, vodka and there is nothing left for a decent standard of living.Having lived in many poor communities the truth behind how poor people live is so far removed from the picture the church and the left like to portray it just isn't true.

Spot-on crashy - as someone who currently lives in a poor community, I couldn't agree more mate.

XYY

Alot of people will smoke rolling tabbacco and likely get it on the black market i've heard its around £10 a pouch for a 50g which is almost £20 at shop prices.

Also there is a trade in counterfit tabbaco and ciggarettes

Alot of people will smoke rolling tabbacco and likely get it on the black market i've heard its around £10 a pouch for a 50g which is almost £20 at shop prices.

If it's labelled like that, it's a forgery. :blink: I noticed a lot of "fake fags" when I travelled to India. Best to buy the local ones for 80p a pack.

If it's labelled like that, it's a forgery. :blink: I noticed a lot of "fake fags" when I travelled to India. Best to buy the local ones for 80p a pack.

You spotted my deliberate spelling mistakes.

You spotted my deliberate spelling mistakes.

Amazingly, I used to "proof read" technical documents. Were are all grammar nazis here. Got the joke BTW. ;)

Yes. Every single regular smoker that I know has a source of these half price 50g pouches; people bring them back from the continent in bulk.

The only one paying the stupid levels of UK taxation is perpetually trying to give it up and views the high price as a good incentive to quit.