House Price Crash Forum
Si1

A Teenager's Homework. House Prices Always Go Up.

Functional maths homework for a friend's teenage son.

"Calculate percentage increase in price of a house bought 20 years ago for £40000 that is now worth £150000.

(This is useful to work out how much money you made on a property when you bought it in the past as values go up)"

No brainwashing there then...

A better question. 20 years ago the house cost £40000 and the average take home salary was £12k. It now costs £150,000 and the average take home salary is £18k - how much longer does it take for someone to save the deposit assuming they can save 50% of their salary?

For bonus points explain why this is fair?

Here's another suggestion:

"a house bought 20 years ago for £40000 that is now worth £150000. Regarding that in East Sussex (where house prices are high) Elderly Care Homes are among the worst rated in the UK (which is related to property prices), how many years can you sustain yourself or a loved one with care home fees while looking for a buyer with £150k?

(This is useful to work out because this is an "every man for himself" society, and reciprocally, nobody else could give a flying &*%@ about you either)".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/elder/11988560/Costly-care-homes-may-not-be-the-best-league-tables-reveal.html

The insidious brainwashing is very worrying. The education system doesn't even know it's doing it but this is a very good example. I suppose it's geared towards producing good little workers who know their place and won't rock the boat. They need to knuckle down and work hard so they can achieve their own "slave-box" :).

The insidious brainwashing is very worrying. The education system doesn't even know it's doing it but this is a very good example. I suppose it's geared towards producing good little workers who know their place and won't rock the boat. They need to knuckle down and work hard so they can achieve their own "slave-box" :).

Spot on.....if you can then get them to take on £40-50,000 in student debt in the process they'll be even more compliant/desperate to work as hard as possible (delete as appropriate).

I'm not sure it's quite so insidious as you suggest; merely outdated (or lazy).

I write such questions, and in the past five years have always used house prices going down in my examples.

It is purely a reflection on other individuals who write such questions, and they have often been from a previous generation where house prices have always risen.

It is also laziness from the question setter, as it's an easy example of something that goes up or down by a percentage, regularly.

home schooling its the only way to be sure.

The education system is designed to destroy an enthusiasm for learning

I fear it's only a matter of time before school becomes compulsory and the last remnant of independence from state brainwashing (homeschooling or alternative independents) is outlawed under the guise of child protection or anti-terror strategy.

Daughter on brink of giving up German which she finds difficult. May be sensible to clear the decks for other subjects which she is doing well in.

Last piece of work was discussion piece all about climate change in german. She won't be missing anything useful then in being able to communicate and converse to a german friend / colleague.

Daughter on brink of giving up German which she finds difficult. May be sensible to clear the decks for other subjects which she is doing well in.

Last piece of work was discussion piece all about climate change in german. She won't be missing anything useful then in being able to communicate and converse to a german friend / colleague.

Don't give up, get a good German self study course. I don't know which is good for German but Hugo is good for Spanish. I was told that I couldn't learn a language at school and sadly I believed them but later on I tried on my own and did learn it.

Edited by iamnumerate

Don't give up, get a good German self study course. I don't know which is good for German but Hugo is good for Spanish. I was told that I couldn't learn a language at school and sadly I believed them but later on I tried on my own and did learn it.

I think it is a matter of time and resources, against the backdrop of the workload from other subjects, she's just been classifed as quite majorly dyslexic as well. years after being told she wasn't so that has not helped. I would worry that whatever she learnt would not actually help with the course itself. I have tried tempting her with the likes of duolingo but she has not shown that much interest.