House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Byron

Tesco Charity Food Box

My local Tesco has bin into which you re invited to put food to help the 'Poor', build stronger communities and the usual lefty love in language.

But who will I be helping?

Genuine poor people or feckless idiots maxed out on debt?

Tesco's profits.

You beat me to it! Or maybe Tiny Tim gets a good Christmas after all? I can predict your next post! :ph34r:

If it's for a local foodbank then people require referrals to go there and they do need it because of the daft benefits sanctions (move address - you temporarily lose your benefits for six weeks) and the combination of high rents / low wages for the working poor. I contribute (food) to a foodbank through work.

If it's some vague well-meaning knit-your-own-underpants charity then they will be giving it out to everybody who's spent their benefits on drugs and can spin a convincing sob story. Or ex-Kids Company clients as they are known.

I've gave to the animal ones before, though am fully aware some of this may end up back on shelves for sale/misused.

The supermarkets throw out an obscene amount of perfectly edible food every day.

Yup. When I worked in a supermarket some 15+ years ago they used to give the unsold bakery items to the night staff (well put on plates in the canteen), that soon stopped as it was a waste of labour - I sometimes had to put several bin bags of cakes in the skip.

They used to have a staff sale, everything sold for 5 or 10p (other than significant items which went for more), but this was stopped as it only raised £80 per week (it had to be labelled to go through the checkouts) but cost £80 a week in labour. I thought it was a great benefit for the staff, as I used to buy stuff (which made my mum very happy); but thinking back it was probably because it reduced the demand of the undamaged items.

My local Tesco has bin into which you re invited to put food to help the 'Poor', build stronger communities and the usual lefty love in language.

But who will I be helping?

Genuine poor people or feckless idiots maxed out on debt?

You'll be helping these folks. Make your own judgement.

Tescos surplus food now normally goes to these folks. At least, where the red tape allows.

The supermarkets throw out an obscene amount of perfectly edible food every day.

They're forced to by red tape. Big penalties if they let food go into "unofficial" channels.

I guess that most of the recipients are feckless, the problem is they have children.

Last month, I was in Dublin and was shocked to see a number of women sitting, begging, on the pavement on the O'Connell bridge.

They were wrapped in blankets and each had a young child sitting there with them.

I guess that most of the recipients are feckless, the problem is they have children.

Last month, I was in Dublin and was shocked to see a number of women sitting, begging, on the pavement on the O'Connell bridge.

They were wrapped in blankets and each had a young child sitting there with them.

The children should be put into care and then parents locked up.