House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest_lauralondon_*

Cake Sales For Health Charities

Just passed someone in the street handing out flyers for their cake sale later. Its in aid of dementia.

I'm not sure what the current scientific stance on this is but I'd assume the vast quanr of junk people consume these days probabably does contribute to causing this disease. Along with cancer and diabetes.

Can't think these cake sales help much at all, if anything I'd assume they exasperate the problem.

It's a nice way to riase money.

If somebody came rattling a tin at me at work I would grudgingly put 50p in but be a bit narked; if somebody makes a homemade cake and sells slices for a £1 I will buy a couple and look forward to the next one.

Though I can't see a cake sale to fight obesity being along any time soon.

What about a 'Vodka evening for the AA' ?

Cake is good.

It brings people together.

We raised £162 on our allotment by having a cake afternoon for Macmillan this year.

We're not a huge site but everyone is very generous when it comes to cake. We also have some great bakers.

Just passed someone in the street handing out flyers for their cake sale later. Its in aid of dementia.

I'm not sure what the current scientific stance on this is but I'd assume the vast quanr of junk people consume these days probabably does contribute to causing this disease. Along with cancer and diabetes.

Can't think these cake sales help much at all, if anything I'd assume they exasperate the problem.

Indeed. Some have postulated Alzheimers is a 3rd type of diabetes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/3308453/Dementia-type-three-diabetes.html

Topless car washes would be far more sensible.

What about a 'Vodka evening for the AA' ?

Cake is good.

It brings people together.

We raised £162 on our allotment by having a cake afternoon for Macmillan this year.

We're not a huge site but everyone is very generous when it comes to cake. We also have some great bakers.

I think it might have some merit and you can guarantee a designated driver!

I know one alcoholic who went to one AA meeting and didn't like it at all so never went again. Drinks alone, vast amounts, I am genuinely sad about it but there is nothing I can say that will help so I don't.

If there was a "think you might be an alcoholic, come on our AA pub crawl with the leaders of the local group and as well as having agood time you can discuss your concerns" monthly event that this chap could have gone to a few times before a full-blown meeting then he might have thought differently about it.

Laura, are you going for the title of chief forum misery guts ?

I'll warn you now, it's a hard fought for title.

Nice? There is the problem, with 2/3 of adults in the UK obese and overweight, diabetes rising, dementia rising, cancer rising and all of these have significant lifestyle / diet risk factors. This junk food isn't so nice after all.

Fair enough if it was occasionally, but for most people its a every few hours "treat". Why buy a couple of slices?

Not for me or most people I know Laura! I only eat cake at these sales or when people bring them in for their birthdays. So far this month I have had three slices of cake: two lemon drizzle and an iced marble cake.

I'm not claiming to have a great diet but I can only think of a couple of people who fit the fat / eat too much cake stereotype so probably shouldn't be attending these sales.

Laura, are you going for the title of chief forum misery guts ?

I'll warn you now, it's a hard fought for title.

Don't be so hard on her - she's only a beginner.

Anyway, must get back to my favorite charity cupcakes ...

breast-cupcakes.jpg

It's good to see people getting match fit before the Christmas season starts.

Smooth FM is already playing Christmas music, what's that all about ?

My local station said yesterday that they don't start playing the seasonal music until mid-December so I can breathe easily.

Not sure even I could win that.

Did go down tescos yesterday, was greeted by a huge f off cardbord father Christmas driving cardboard truck shouting about coke on offer. Next to it big tubs of chocolates on offer.

Even years after leaving London I'm still genuinely shocked by how huge people are outside, but not surprised . the contents of most peoples trolley just looks like they are trying to kill themselves, with a slow miserable life.

I'm not too sure cake is that bad, I tend to think that fizzy drink and greasy savouries are a bigger cause of obesity, certainly the food of choice of the obese I know. Go to any poor area and they are pretty much full of fast food joints and huge people. Go somewhere posh and you will find places full of tea shops with skinny people partaking in tea and cake. :unsure:

I'm lumping them all together as shit.

There was some study about how the combination of sugar and fat together is toxic and the body struggles not to overeat on it. Its not something found together in nature.

Nt cafes are full of middle class boomers overspilling the chairs having cake.

I'm sure cake is just as deadly, it's probably a cultural thing. Middle class people probably indulge in their scone and cream (pronounced scon naturally)and have their puddings. And working class people do the fast food thing and Pepsi. Just the former probably show more restraint and have even invented Bulimia.

Meanwhile Mary Berry does sugar to put on her 'scons'and looks like a skeleton.

I'm lumping them all together as shit.

There was some study about how the combination of sugar and fat together is toxic and the body struggles not to overeat on it. Its not something found together in nature.

Nt cafes are full of middle class boomers overspilling the chairs having cake.

Are you a fan of Vitamin D Laura?

All depends on how big you make the portions and what else you do in the way of exercise/movement to go along with it.....movement means physical exertion as well as mental exertion.

http://www.gamesforthebrain.com/

When I'm on a long ramble the bigger the better. Rather fond of those 6" saucer shaped bakewell tarts, guess the cherry doesn't count as one of my five a day.......

https://amongoodfriends.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/120206-bakewell-tart.gif