House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Still Going Strong

Chris Waddle - still playing semi-pro football at 53.

Freddie "Parrot-face" Davies still performing his one-man show at 78.

And, take a bow, June Whitfield in a major role in the new Ab Fab film at..... 90!

Any other impressive showings?

Justin Bieber, sadly.

I would like to say "Who?" but sadly he is one of those celebs like Kim "famous for having an enormous bum" Kardashian that is unavoidable in the media.

I would like to say "Who?" but sadly he is one of those celebs like Kim "famous for having an enormous bum" Kardashian that is unavoidable in the media.

Kardashian is famous for having a large Bieber.

Clint Eastwood is still on the go at 85

How old are the cast of the new Star Wars film? I guess most of them around 60 but Harrison Ford must be getting on a bit by now. edit - he's 73.

When I was young I was amazed that Stanley Matthews played top flight football in his fifties. however, having gotten there I am not quite so impressed and feel I would last the ninety minutes better than at any stage of my life. I've not had the opportunity to try it, i used to get knackered after five minutes when I was younger and winded.. Of course, I have not been subject to the physical strian of a professional footballer and do just the easy stuff like walk miles and miles every week which puts no strain on the body at all.

However, I am very impressed by older people that run business'. The guy at my favourite cafe in Wirksworth, Derbyshire...Max (now 86) runs a bakery and cafe' come restaurant. The other day he took our order (in his head), whilst serving somebody at the counter (who was making their mind up) whilst then taking a payment from a diner that had finished.

Seriously the ear studded gaint of a man with his shaven head looks about sixty and is as sharp mentally as somebody twenty something.

http://www.tastetheseasons.co.uk/wirksworththorcake/

His wife here in the photo is pretty much retired but Max goes on forever.

How old are the cast of the new Star Wars film? I guess most of them around 60 but Harrison Ford must be getting on a bit by now. edit - he's 73.

Here's a list of the oldest surviving actors. Most impressed with Angela Landsbury for starring on the West End last year at nearly 89 (now 90). Don't think we give her due credit in this country, although she starred in the most successful television series ever (apparently), it was a bit crap and all American which probably tarnishes her image here.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls057872986/

There was stuff on the radio yesterday specifically about older people (in films, but the principle is general) crowding out the new-blood and making it more difficult for the next-generation to thrive...

And i guess the Queen deserves a mention.

Another one?

Yes, independently wealthy and could have spent the last thirty years walking her dogs and going to the races if she'd wanted. Her and Philip are distilled essence of duty.

Nicholas Parsons deserves admiration for being able to host a tricky show in Just a Minute requiring unscripted ad libbing.

I really hate the show, a blot on the Radio 4 landscape, but he does something only 0.01% of the population would have the ability to pull off and he is 90.

(Damn i didn't see Porca's post and have now duplicated both his candidates...sorry Porca)

I've just checked Julie Andrews, and she's 80. Always impressed by her as a child, watching Mary Poppins. Ideal for the part as she's 5'8 and has big feet just like in the book. Apparently she's a bit of a "potty mouth" and knows more rude words than a RN CPO.

Another one?

Yes, independently wealthy and could have spent the last thirty years walking her dogs and going to the races if she'd wanted. Her and Philip are distilled essence of duty.

Robert Mugabe is still going at 91.

Robert Mugabe is still going at 91.

I'm surprised no University had a Mugabe library. Most of the ones I saw had a Mandela building. :blink:

She's not still going but the most impressed I've ever been by someone at her age was Leni Riefenstahl.

Oh, well, if you go back into history, we have lots of candidates. Like the last of the tommies. Or Alistair Cooke.

I would mention Charles Darville (not sure how he spelled his surname). Still cycling the scenic route from Sheffield to York to take part in a cycling festival when past 90.