House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Niall of the Nine Hostages

Why Would I Have Very Different Broadband Speeds, 2 Computers, Same House?

Over the weeken, the broadband speed on my main PC was getting silly.

I ran a speed checker from broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk on both my desktop and laptop.

The Desktop gives:

Ping - 122 ms

download 0.56 Mb/s

upload 8.09 Mb/s

The Laptop gives:

Ping 94 ms

download 38.07 Mb/s

upload 15.08 Mb/s

I updated and ran Spybot on my Desktop last might and it didn't find anything?

Any suggestions?

Is spybot rubbish these days?

Whether wireless or directly connected, one might have an older chipset which doesn't go so fast. Also if wireless, the one furthest away might be slower.

Whether wireless or directly connected, one might have an older chipset which doesn't go so fast. Also if wireless, the one furthest away might be slower.

They're both right next to eachother for the purposes of the test, both wireless. the Desktop is older but has always been far more pokey. This slowness is a very recent thing - the weekend I'd say.

Disconnect the internet connection on one before running the speed test on the other and see what results you get.

This isolates each from being the drain on the bandwidth.

If there's still a discrepancy, plug each one in with an Ethernet cable and repeat the test again disconnecting the other prior to doing that.

What *should* the speeds be?

your ADSL performance on the desktop is very odd.

scan with malwarebytes.org software as a start.

update the network device drivers.

I had that problem yesterday pm with two laptops on <3 meg download speeds. I restarted the router and miraculously all was 68meg again.

Aye the good old "switch it off and on again". These things can get confused.

Check that windows update did not update the wifi card drivers to a generic Microsoft one, if so roll back the driver or reinstall the driver from the OEM.

Yes, I've seen some of the Plusnet routers do some odd things. I suspect the router itself may do traffic shaping ie allocate more bandwidth to devices sucking up the most. Trouble is, it'll continue to do that for the next few days afterwards -even if the relevant devices are switched off - unless it gets a reboot.

How are you connecting to the router with the desktop? Could be dodgy NIC

Try a new NIC of wireless dongle. Not much money these days

I assume you are using Windows. You could do a quick test using a Linux live DVD to isolate OS or hardware issues

Broadband rule number 1. All network-provided broadband routers are rubbish, except for BT ones. Buy a new router. Won't necessarily solve this problem, but buy a new router anyway.