House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

Warren Mitchell Rip

Warren created on of the most memorable characters in TV comedy. I was at a live recording of 'Til Death Us Do Part' decades back.

Most live audience shows employ a warm-up comic to get the audience in the mood. Warren Mitchell didn't. He strolled in from the back of the audience dressed as Alf; waistcoat, braces and baggy trousers. He held forth on The Queen, the saintly Bobby Moore, Labour politics, Tottenham Hotspur, Northerners, foreigners and everything else us punters clearly needed guidance on. Everyone was in fits of laughter throughout.

The episode we saw was the one where Alf is allocated a very camp Jamaican man as a home help. Bizarrely, I was on the Tube hours later that night and standing next to me was 'Marigold' - the very talented actor who played the home help.

I also saw Warren Mitchell filming the feature film version of the sitcom at Shepperton Studios. He would walk through the stages where the sets were being built exchanging genial 'Alf' abuse with the painters, riggers and stage hands. He was much admired by the workers as a really likeable chap.

Warren Mitchell. He gave pleasure to millions. A great actor and very funny man. RIP.

:o What a nice geezer! Alf Garnett was a very good impression of my grandad! ;)

Warren created on of the most memorable characters in TV comedy. I was at a live recording of 'Til Death Us Do Part' decades back.

Most live audience shows employ a warm-up comic to get the audience in the mood. Warren Mitchell didn't. He strolled in from the back of the audience dressed as Alf; waistcoat, braces and baggy trousers. He held forth on The Queen, the saintly Bobby Moore, Labour politics, Tottenham Hotspur, Northerners, foreigners and everything else us punters clearly needed guidance on. Everyone was in fits of laughter throughout.

The episode we saw was the one where Alf is allocated a very camp Jamaican man as a home help. Bizarrely, I was on the Tube hours later that night and standing next to me was 'Marigold' - the very talented actor who played the home help.

I also saw Warren Mitchell filming the feature film version of the sitcom at Shepperton Studios. He would walk through the stages where the sets were being built exchanging genial 'Alf' abuse with the painters, riggers and stage hands. He was much admired by the workers as a really likeable chap.

Warren Mitchell. He gave pleasure to millions. A great actor and very funny man. RIP.

'In sickness and in health' was toe curlingly cringeworthy and could not hold a candle to 'til death us do part' which was truly groundbreaking and genuinely hilarious. People conflate the two series, but they were night and day

By all accounts Warren Mitchell was a great actor; but all the Johnny Speight Alf Garnett series left me entirely cold.

Admittedly I didn't watch many of them because I didn't like them but every time I did I saw family members being really unpleasant to each other.

I think the parody element of Alf Garnett went over most of the audience's heads who just saw Garnett as a champion of their own racist views.