House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paris Events ... Where To Find Strength?

Forgetting the politics/causes/blame/solution which is in the other thread.... I just wonder how people find the will to keep going with day to day living after something like the Paris incident.

When events happen in Iraq, Turkey, Egypt I manage to distance myself from them as they're miles away. When things like Shoreham airshow happen a mile up the road from me, I can see it as a terrible and unlikely accident.

But when I see something like Paris, just over the water, intentional, random, and large scale, I start to sag mentally .... and dwell on what if ....

I'm atheist to the extreme, so I will never find solace in a God of some sort. Perhaps I should just enjoy my family/friends/hobbies and think I cannot predict/control such events and the probability of it happening to me is very small.

It's best not to worry, or terrorists have won. I've been to some "splendid shitholes" just for work. For some people, the most frightening thing they will see is the "big stapler in the printer room"!

It's best not to worry, or terrorists have won. I've been to some "splendid shitholes" just for work. For some people, the most frightening thing they will see is the "big stapler in the printer room"!

Quite. Dreadful as the attack is, we need a sense of proportion.

A similar number of people will die on Britain's roads over the next 2 weeks, each also a tragedy.

Living in fear gets us nowhere.

I will not be doing anything differently as a result of the terrorist threat. Sensible caution, not fear nor paranoia.

There is always war going on somewhere in the world....always has been, many families and children lived with the blitz everyday, man hating another man has always been there......some embrace their fellow man and wish to know and understand them better, others would rather kill, hate and overpower them......why some people can't even get on with their own next-door neighbours.......war is less to do with religion more to do with differences, people fear those most who they don't understand or agree with, those with anger and little to lose, sometimes lose it....life. ;)

imo it is the end of any pretense that 'human rights' apply to all no matter what.

There are people that want you, me and all of our kin dead just because we are not of their faith. To me, they have no rights at all.

I have been close to bombs going off in London, IRA ones and the 7/7 bus tube bombers. Close enough to hear one of the IRA ones.

And they had zero effect upon me or my behaviour. Possibly they weren't close enough "to home", nobody I knew was injured or killed, they didn't actually happen in my street.

It was odd to hear the comments and concerns for me after the 7/7 bombings, the bus was in the next street but I was in a basement training room at the time so didn't even hear it, when it hadn't impacted me at all.

I think the concrete reality is that it is so unlikely you shouldn't worry about it all. Worry instead about crashing your car, being mugged, falling victim to some awful disease. All of which are realistically possible.

imo it is the end of any pretense that 'human rights' apply to all no matter what.

There are people that want you, me and all of our kin dead just because we are not of their faith. To me, they have no rights at all.

They are nutters John51, and have little faith in anything.

More practically, go on a news diet. TV news in particular is mentally toxic at times like these.

The world is a much safer and nicer place than likely anytime in human history. That we are affected by incidents like this is testament to the fact we are not battle hardened, but are able to empathise on a more global level than previously.

Stoicism and anger. Plus what happened in Paris is pretty negligible in the grand scheme of human slaughter. ISIS will have to kill an awful lot more before any politician will be brave enough to do what is needed so you's best toughen up.

Do spare thoughts for the victims but I agree with Hovis that the attacks should not make us worry too much. Road deaths and general crime should come first.

More practically, go on a news diet. TV news in particular is mentally toxic at times like these.

The world is a much safer and nicer place than likely anytime in human history. That we are affected by incidents like this is testament to the fact we are not battle hardened, but are able to empathise on a more global level than previously.

Thankfully no TV in my household...

We're performing Mendelssohn's Elijah in a few weeks. He's the role model par excellence for modern islamist terror: the oratorio starts with a genocide, and in the middle is a massacre where I might update the words "and let not one of them escape us" to "and put the video on youtube". All to the music of one of the master tunesmiths of all time.

Not entirely my cup of tea, but maybe romanticised biblical slaughter might console some.

75 years ago this week, 578 people died in the Coventry blitz.

I am just as concerned about European fascism as I am about Islamic fascism.

The French and British who stood by watching the rise of Hitler were just as concerned with the rise of Communism as they were with the rise of Fascism.

Do spare thoughts for the victims but I agree with Hovis that the attacks should not make us worry too much. Road deaths and general crime should come first.

"Terrorism" is all about creating an exaggerated fear of something that rarely happens.

You are more likely to get dead on a farm or building site!

Not that I don't feel for these people. They were just on a night out!

Quite. Dreadful as the attack is, we need a sense of proportion.

A similar number of people will die on Britain's roads over the next 2 weeks, each also a tragedy.

Death toll in Paris is something like 18,000 a year, from all causes. That's 50 people a day, every day. This ghastly attack is a scratch over 2 days of the natural death rate. Getting caught up in this is very, very unlikely. You're more likely to kill yourself by falling down the stairs than be killed by a terrorist.

Some of the comments here are not only moronic, they are deeply offensive to the victims and their families.

I can just see one moronic and offensive post; so I've quoted it.

Don't get me wrong, I won't change any behaviour. I just feel so bloody demotivated.

According to recent studies you need to watch cat videos on YouTube

Some of the comments here are not only moronic, they are deeply offensive to the victims and their families.

Probably not as offensive as being shot.

Let the terrorists terrorise you and our government has you just where it wants you. Don't be a rabbit in the headlights.

Wise words Ms Babe.