House Price Crash Forum

Official Government Advice On "how To Rent"

HOLA441

I don't think if this has been posted. Apologies if it has.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/464910/How_to_Rent_October_2015_FINAL.pdf

Page 3 contains a pearl

"What can you afford? Think about how much rent you can afford to pay: 35% of your take-home pay is the most that many people can afford, but this depends on what your other outgoings are (for example, whether you have children)."

I've searched in vain for the small print that says "Does not apply to the South East of England and some major cities".

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Ha! No not that......you find a place where they will pay you to care for their high cost liability.....

Ha, Its a great idea but I'm not sure how easy it is to do!

under the desk at work :(

:lol:

Found this quote quite fun...

Think about how much rent you can afford to pay: 35% of your take-home pay is the most that many people can afford,

Not sure this is even possible in London, unless you are planning to live 4 a room! :P

Edited by renting til I die

HOLA447

This one - also on page 3 - struck me as being a being a touch over optimistic as well.

"If you are on housing benefit, there is no reason that it should affect your ability to pay rent."

Are they sure about that??

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Hey kid, congratulations you've just graduated. How quaint, your first paycheck. I'm going to take 3% without your express permission because we've auto-enrolled you with our friends in the pension industry - I mean, for your future when you retire. (Snigger) Yeah, it's for your own good, its a top notch pension fund that charges 1.80% a year. Trust me, this is what you want. There are highly trained managers who will take care of your money.

Now I'm going to take a wedge of 5% to pay for your student loan. This 20% of your income? No you won't be missing that either, this income tax pays for the second home of your hard working members of parliament. Our hard working civic society gives back to our politicians and keeps them warm and fed. I almost forgot about your NI contributions, I'll take 12% for that. It will totally still be there when you retire. (Cough) Moving on. Next up is your council tax from your disposable income - someone has to pay for the councillors wife spa breaks, you honestly thought your other tax paid for that? Ha! You make me laugh. You think you're being taxed a lot? Don't be selfish. Think of the less better off. Think of baristas who don't earn enough. Somebody has to pay for the poor pay of baristas. Think of single mum Chantelle and her 4 kids. Think of the children. Who else will pay for mortgage tax relief? We are all in it together. You also need a place to live, too. A house? Well mate, I reckon you're getting ideas above your station buddy. For 35% we have damp apartment with your name on it. Oh yeah, if you want to keep living here, you'll also have to pay £150 for us to re-print the tenancy agreement. There is also a £50 annual administration fee. Please don't stick anything on the walls. Don't worry about the S21, it's just a formality, it is perfectly normal. You want broadband and food, I'll take 20% of that in VAT too, cheers. You can stop bending over now. Remember to get a credit card and build up a credit rating by not paying it off each month. Everyone has to play their part in helping the economy recover! Big society.

35% is too high. The normal figure for affordable housing is between 20% and 30% for affordable. Anything higher than 30% is obnoxious. It is a wonder how we can grow at all really. Externalities and personal responsibility have been outsourced to the taxpayer. We are truly butt creamed in this country.

Edited by phantominvestor