House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Wurzel Of Highbridge

Barclaycard Leak February 0.25% Rate Rise?

Hello Mr Wurzel,
We're making some changes to the Terms and Conditions of your account. From 1 February next year, your interest rates will start to move in line with any changes to the Bank of England Base Rate.
What happens when the Bank of England Base Rate moves?
When the Bank of England Base Rate moves up or down, your standard and cash rates (the interest rates we charge on purchases and cash withdrawals) will also move up or down by the same amount.
If the Bank of England Base Rate does move after 1 February, we'll change your interest rates the day after your next monthly statement date. We put together your statement on the 14th working day of every month and you can also see it online.
What a change might mean to you
As an example, let's say the Bank of England Base Rate goes up by 0.25%. You'll then pay 21p a month more in interest for every £1,000 of your balance. This doesn't include your promotional balances as they aren't affected by Bank of England Base Rate changes.
You can head over to our Understanding Interest pages to find out more. You'll also find a calculator we've created, which can help you see how changes may affect you.
Your new Terms and Conditions will be effective from 1 February 2016 and you can find them here along with details of the key changes we've made, so please keep them for reference.
Where to find out more
If you've got questions, here's where to get the answers:
You'll find FAQs below and online
You can send us a secure message – log into Barclaycard online servicing. It only takes a minute to register if you haven't already
Kind regards

Barclay Card

I got this too. Bit of a heads I win situation. Worst case scenario is that they have to drop their rates by 0.25%.

Don't remember them reducing their rates when BoE base fell. My rate is the same now as it was 8 years ago.

The margins they work to are fairly criminal IMHO.

I pay off my cards every month (if I use them at all), so don't care what the rate is.

I do find it interesting that major banks are publicly prepping for rate rises NOW and not last year, not the year before etc. Either they've been given a tip off or their analysts really do believe that 'now is the time'.

I pay off my cards every month (if I use them at all), so don't care what the rate is.

I do find it interesting that major banks are publicly prepping for rate rises NOW and not last year, not the year before etc. Either they've been given a tip off or their analysts really do believe that 'now is the time'.

I guess I'm very lucky.

for the last 15 years I've had a base rate tracker credit card.....4% over base rate...don't really use it very much and have quite a small limit(£1000) for emergencies.paid in full every month.

beats the pants of barclaycard.

Borrow more....over longer time......buy stuff you didn't need to please people you don't like but would like to impress..pay interest you can't afford......its Christmas.....Christmas is nothing about spending money....Christmas is all about loving others and peace in our short time on earth, time enough to make a difference.....

Borrow more....over longer time......buy stuff you didn't need to please people you don't like but would like to impress..pay interest you can't afford......its Christmas.....Christmas is nothing about spending money....Christmas is all about loving others and peace in our short time on earth, time enough to make a difference.....

don't let the bells end!!

Think the first three posters may be being a little optimist, unfortunately. Suspect this is just the standard notice period they have to give for changes to customers T's & C's. That said, they clearly expect something at some point in the future, hence why they've introduced the condition, but when "some point" is really is anyone's guess with the jokers at the BoE.

All the tabloids have been full of Protect yourself fix your mortgage now before rates rise ,histrionically low volumes in the mortgage market as no one`s buying ...two year fix £1-2K fee anyone

It`s out and out scaremongering this is not the first time and i doubt it will be the last

Edited by long time lurking

My Clarity card sent me a letter the other day "to make it easier to understand what you need to pay each month".

I've gone from 12.94% to 12.45% + 0.5% (BOE base rate).

"Any change in either of these rates and your standard interest rate will change too"

Edited by honkydonkey

Interest rates are not going up. Think the scaremongering is basically to scare people fixing onto higher fixed rates on mortgages. to help recapitalise the banks.

Banks still bust, party is back on again looking at the markets.

glad to see some boomers loose everything