House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest_lauralondon_*

Chip Broken On Passport

Anyone else had their passport chip die?

Mine did after two years, probably because I backpack a lot and used to travel a lot for work.

This seems to be a real problem for UK border agency only (in fairness haven't tried the states,). 20% of the time they make a real fuss, guy yesterday huffed at me demanded to know why it didn't work and wanted more id, boarding pass and to question me about my holiday. Not sure how they get away with being so rude. Before I've had to be pulled into a room to have my passport checked by the police. I'm blonde, white and English looking not that it matters.

Surely I can't be the only person the chip has died on? These things probably aren't that robust, I'm sure they last fine for the average person that goes on holiday twice a year and who's passport is immaculate.

Only three years left of this one, I'll be dammed if I buy a new one before it explores.

I actually find most border agency people almost too polite!! Not like there US counterparts, who are ridiculously rude even if everything is perfectly in order. I've had problems in the US due to the front of my passport being worn off (due to having to carry it in my back pocket to get into bars in the US).

Maybe they are mad at the efficiency of the latest generation of automatic passport readers, which (unlike the previous generation) are ridiculously good.

As to your question, I would just stick it out for another 3 years.

I just renewed my passport last week and it came with a load of guff about how worn passports are invalid and that you can be rejected upon arrival in countries. Also said that if the chip is broke you will need to get a new one.

Someone I know was chucked off a flight last week because the Yanks claimed his passport had been tampered with. He's as conventionally, boringly English as John Major and has security clearances up the ying yang.

Someone I know was chucked off a flight last week because the Yanks claimed his passport had been tampered with. He's as conventionally, boringly English as John Major and has security clearances up the ying yang.

Probably thought he was a spy.

Most are polite,but some are really rude. The kind of Furness you'd never get away with if it was customer facing and someone had a choice to buy a service off someone.

My front cover is worn away due to traveling, but it would still swipe fine but they don't seem to swipe in the UK.

I've only ever used the new passport readers a few times before mine broke. You get through much quicker, I do sometimes think with my 6 abroad holidays a year it would be small investment to get a new one just for saving time. But I hate wasting money.

From what someone at Heathrow told me, there is still someone in a room nearby that has to manually do a process to approve everyone going through the e gates. I'd still rather use them and have less contact with people. Imagine the germs the old gates people spread.

Shouldn't your username be LauraDundee ?

I've just re-registered for our GP's online services. This time I have to prove who I am with a passport or driving licence at the actual doctors before I can use it. :(

I suspect they'd are going to be all well trained in spotting fake passports etc at the reception desk.

I actually find most border agency people almost too polite!!

If you're a Brit, and seen to be a Brit, then that's usual.

If you're (thought to be) foreign, it's quite the opposite. As some of my non-Brit family have seen. And as I experienced myself, when I returned to Blighty after six years in Italy and driving an Italian car.

If you're a Brit, and seen to be a Brit, then that's usual.

If you're (thought to be) foreign, it's quite the opposite. As some of my non-Brit family have seen. And as I experienced myself, when I returned to Blighty after six years in Italy and driving an Italian car.

I couldn't believe my luck coming back through Dover laden with booze and fags once. In front of me there was a Hungarian plate car full of mullahs in turbans. :wacko:

I actually find most border agency people almost too polite!! Not like there US counterparts, who are ridiculously rude even if everything is perfectly in order. I've had problems in the US due to the front of my passport being worn off (due to having to carry it in my back pocket to get into bars in the US).

Maybe they are mad at the efficiency of the latest generation of automatic passport readers, which (unlike the previous generation) are ridiculously good.

As to your question, I would just stick it out for another 3 years.

when they work properly, the new ones are very convenient,

...they just don't have enough of them....heathrow has bays of about 6,and gatwick has bays of about 10...when they are operational(usually only 3 or 4 at a time) they are bit of a pain.

considering they are supposed to be 2 of the world's busiest airports, it is a bit shoddy really.

some other EU countries have bloody masses of them, like 30 in a row, and all functioning.

passport control then is a very smooth process.....through the checks in 5 minutes max, and just have to wait for the baggage..which in quite a few other countries is only a minute or two behind.......without the 2 mile walk to passport control in the first place either.

likewise with self service bag-drop at check in.really handy and just takes a few seconds.

probably thought we were planning on re-colonising.

I just renewed my passport last week and it came with a load of guff about how worn passports are invalid and that you can be rejected upon arrival in countries. Also said that if the chip is broke you will need to get a new one.

claim asylum then???

tell them that the people-trafficker has sold you a dud.

Most are polite,but some are really rude. The kind of Furness you'd never get away with if it was customer facing and someone had a choice to buy a service off someone.

being sour-faced is part of the show.

it's the uniforms and badges they have to wear.

does funny things to some people.

same with traffic wardens.

had a funny run in with the police just after I bought my first car many moons ago.

my tax disc had fallen off the windscreen and they had been checking for a stolen vehicle at the time.....when I went to collect my car,they were there, and his response to me was(humourously)...you sneaky bugger!!!

nothing whatsoever to do with said contraband, but it was quite funny, and I was able to prove I had the right goods...I had merely parked my motor there to avoid some traffic wardens who were on starting blocks at the bottom of the road as soon as the "danger" period was in force.

....very nice guy, and we had a good giggle about it.....turns out my mum was teaching his son at the time...so we ended up quite good mates, to this day!

I usually travel on a Narnian passport I made up, when outside the EU. Nobody notices!