HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I shall be one of those annoying folk on the internet who come on - say they haven't been there - but say it looks nice. Completely pointless.

It's probably better than the other option. The person who went there 18 years ago and concocts a huge list of shite that you aren't interested in - but just wants to tell everyone about their own trip.

:)

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Holy crap maybe being near the sea is the answer

I really, really, would look for somewhere else to go on holiday. There are other parts of Canada where you do not have this problem - although large parts of the woodlands and tundra areas do - but if you have your heart set on that kind of landscape then I would head further south into the USA and pick one of the many states which have similar breath-taking beauty.

There your problem is more that of being kidnapped and waking up in a dungeon wearing a gimp suit.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I really, really, would look for somewhere else to go on holiday. There are other parts of Canada where you do not have this problem - although large parts of the woodlands and tundra areas do - but if you have your heart set on that kind of landscape then I would head further south into the USA and pick one of the many states which have similar breath-taking beauty.

There your problem is more that of being kidnapped and waking up in a dungeon wearing a gimp suit.

I've been on 2 road trips in the USA, both to the South West - and I'd go back again. I spent most of the time driving from National Park to National Park and I still haven't seen all of them in the south West. You could spend a 2 week holiday in almost any one of them. If you like stunning scenery, you'll find that US National Parks are concentrated in the South West, and that probably the best region to go to.

Flight are the only expensive part, about £500 from Heathrow to Denver. Car hire is cheap as chips and the price of petrol is a joke. If you really wanted to do it on the cheap, you could take a tent and stay in RV parks, which are well equipped and all over the place.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Odd to see Newfies with muzzles - all the ones I've known (friend used to have 5) were lovely, very good natured dogs. But she never locked her door when she went out minus dogs - sight of all of them was enough to put any burglar off.

Her biggest 'boy' was 11 stone - weighed more than she did. She once had him in the back of her car, dozing peacefully, when some road rage idiot carved her up and them came screaming and yelling at her. Good old Hero roused himself majestically from the back and uttered a a massive baritone Woof!

Road rage idiot was not seen for dust, lol.

She used to do life-saving demonstrations with her dogs - rescuing people who were pretending to drown. She never had to teach them - it was an innate ability.

HOLA4423

Odd to see Newfies with muzzles - all the ones I've known (friend used to have 5) were lovely, very good natured dogs. But she never locked her door when she went out minus dogs - sight of all of them was enough to put any burglar off.

Her biggest 'boy' was 11 stone - weighed more than she did. She once had him in the back of her car, dozing peacefully, when some road rage idiot carved her up and them came screaming and yelling at her. Good old Hero roused himself majestically from the back and uttered a a massive baritone Woof!

Road rage idiot was not seen for dust, lol.

She used to do life-saving demonstrations with her dogs - rescuing people who were pretending to drown. She never had to teach them - it was an innate ability.

That's gonna put the wind up your historical one legged ******"! How fast can he hop? He can obviously ***** quickly!

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I spent three weeks there ten years back, renting a small house in St John's. Newfoundland is twice the size of the UK and has a population of just 450,000. Half of these live in St John's, a small capital city built on the side of a deep water fjord. Summers are good, but winter is said to be three months of fogs, snow and ice. Icebergs float by a couple of miles offshore. Permanent signs warn of the dangers of huge icicles falling from buildings and of moose causing fatalities on outlying roads.

Looking out over St John's you get the feeling of an outpost with three thousand miles of sea in front of you, and just a few miles behind you a vast wilderness of empty roads and endless pine forest. There are no trains, and many of the small coastal villages towns along the Atlantic seaboard are reachable only by sea. I hired a car and explored the coast fifty miles in either direction. Tiny settlements, rather moribund since the cod fishery was closed by the Government twenty years back - not a subject to talk about to locals. Fishermen I spoke to swore that the cod are back in their millions. Equally taboo is the word 'newfie'. All locals hail originally from Weymouth, Bridport, Poole and Wexford in Ireland and the accents are still strongly evident.

The people are the friendliest I have ever met. Wait on any kerb and the sparse traffic will stop to let you cross. True. Ask for directions - and people will walk you where you are going, or drive you there. Everyone has time to talk. St John's has most of the necessaries of life; prices are reasonable, and a few major companies in oil and mineral exploration have office bases there. St John's also has the massive Memorial University, serving remote students across Canada via hundreds of online degree courses. Some graduates have never visited the campus.

Nightlife is on two main streets in St John's. A dozen pubs and clubs, and the locals like to drink. Cuisine is fairly basic, and nearly all foods have to be imported. The climate doesn't grow vegetables,but local fish is always very good. Offshore is one of the world's great fishing grounds. Most locals drive 4x4's and life has a welcome 'classless' feel to it. Houses are often wood as there's no local brick. The oldest houses were built with brick brought from England.

If you like vast forested landscapes; isolated lakes; a frontier feel to life and watching whales spouting a few hundred yards offshore - it's the place for you. It's quite unique. There's an Irishman called O'Brien who runs whale watching trips from Bay Bulls who sings shanties to the passengers, interspersed with a few risque jokes and the odd dance move. He's great value, and huge whales and a million puffins and auks are guaranteed. You can't imagine just how big whales are until a seven foot flipper breaks the surface a few feet way from you.

The local tv has an estate agents channel. It will break your heart. Pretty family houses in their own little bay, with an acre of land and pinewoods behind are just a fraction of the price they would be here. £100K would have easily bought my dream home when I was there, and building land must cost almost nothing. I kept telling myself I couldn't stand the winters. I wouldn't mind moose coming out of the woods onto my garden. I wouldn't have a choice. There's half a million of 'em out there apparently...

A couple of weeks visit is enough, because the explorable area is limited. But I'm really glad I went, if only to meet some of the nicest people around.

Sorry if this sounds like a bit like a wikipedia entry.

Archived