House Price Crash Forum

Morris Ital Is 35 Years Old Today

@contradevian

HOLA441
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Does it look dated, it doesn't to me? I forget the technical term but somebody posted on the " Difference" thread about convergence towards an expectation.

So I agree that it doesn't look like a modern hatchback, but that's because most hatchbacks look identical these days.

Exception for the new Mini and, though I think you'd have to be insane to risk your life by driving it, the ironically-named Smart Car.

I have no paticular fondness for the Allegro. But I didn't think they were too bad for the era. If you like that style, maybe you will like the "Wayne's World" AMC Pacer. It's the American Allegro. :blink: For a futuristic styling, look at the Citroen DS. Smashing cars, and I don't say that much about French motors! Or the Studebaker Avanti?

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Oh the Avenger! I had a 1600GL for about 2 weeks. Mint green with an orange dralon interior, Handled like a sofa perched on a big blancmange.

The one I drove was pretty good! Maybe your suspension was "off"? Your colour coordination seems "off". :blink:

HOLA446

The one I drove was pretty good! Maybe your suspension was "off"? Your colour coordination seems "off". :blink:

It had a white stripe down the side too. Plus a dodgy head gasket. It was only a temporary buy while I sorted out a chocolate brown Spitfire with Exxon Valdez tendencies.

HOLA447

It had a white stripe down the side too. Plus a dodgy head gasket. It was only a temporary buy while I sorted out a chocolate brown Spitfire with Exxon Valdez tendencies.

Weren't those cars great? Saturday afternoons trying to make it work?

HOLA448

Weren't those cars great? Saturday afternoons trying to make it work?

Yep. The days when every other garage had an inspection pit dug out. Countless hours in the pit with spanners and Isopon wearing one of my dad's old boiler suits and a fresh scab on the head every few hours. I'm glad I was yound at the time. I'm not so bendy these days.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Seeing as we're taking old BL models from the 80s, always loved the SD1:

sd1story_01.jpg

(though i retrospect it is a bit of a munter! Nice shot of Plockton though)

It looked good, was a bit plasticky inside. Sort of a Citroen look. My mate's dad had one.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

In fact a properly built old Mini was a superb car.

They were delightful fun, but have you tried to change that little water hose to the cylinder head? :huh:

Would not pass a safety test now, but nice to drive! :wacko:

HOLA4414

For a futuristic styling, look at the Citroen DS. Smashing cars, and I don't say that much about French motors!

My dad in law had one, with two nice little French flags that stuck out of the wings to boot. The only bummer was he was surrounded by 4 police motorcyclists where ever he went. The ride made you want to vomit after about 5 miles, apparently but it had natty little headlamps that turned in the direction of travel, great on twisty mountain roads.

HOLA4415

My dad in law had one, with two nice little French flags that stuck out of the wings to boot. The only bummer was he was surrounded by 4 police motorcyclists where ever he went. The ride made you want to vomit after about 5 miles, apparently but it had natty little headlamps that turned in the direction of travel, great on twisty mountain roads.

A right "dodgy geezer" then? You won't vomit in those. They went like a spaceship! :blink: I'll bet he had the Prestige extra long one, for garlic munching politicians!

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Complete with tables on the seatbacks...as if people got chauffeured around in them.

They were quite cute really! THe VDPs were poshed up Leyland. You always seemed to get the picnic tables in a Daimler, but for the Jag drivers, er not.

I'm thinking of a Daimler Double Six, but I think the last one was 1996. I think I would have to buy the Queen's old one, for it would have lived a pampered life, and not been used in too many robberies! :blink:

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

The only half-decent car my dad ever owned was a 1959 Humber Hawk like this one.

Leather bench seats, walnut dash, overdrive, smooth ride.

Built 1959, had to be scrapped in 1967. A rust-bucket.

Heaven knows how this Jersey registered example has survived the salty sea air.

h13.jpg

Yes I remember those Chrysler rust buckets. One of my mate's dads had one. Should have bought the Snipe and rusted in style!

Jersey plates are cool BTW, and don't get you pulled over like NI ones used to!

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

One of my Uncle's best cars was a 1972 Turd-Healy "Jobbie" 2 litre.

He got through a lot of car air fresheners.

It was his company car at the time, he used it to deliver giant slices of toast for the Pointlessly Large Loaf Bakery Ltd.

A+crazy+collection+of+funny+cars+%252811

Worst of all, it didn't rust.

That would look absolutly superb in the local play area. Watch the kids trying not to step in it!

HOLA4423

These cars really do highlight just how good cars are now.

People always look back with rose tinted spectacles, but old cars were shocking and some would rust to bits within 5 years.

Someone I used to know was restoring an old Beetle and basically had to weld massive plates over the floor. Unfortunately he did so much welding on the whole car he welded over the chassis number and couldn't get it MOT'd.

I'd like to be able to say I didn't laugh.

HOLA4424

People always look back with rose tinted spectacles, but old cars were shocking and some would rust to bits within 5 years.

Someone I used to know was restoring an old Beetle and basically had to weld massive plates over the floor. Unfortunately he did so much welding on the whole car he welded over the chassis number and couldn't get it MOT'd.

I'd like to be able to say I didn't laugh.

One of my mates has a "Cheech and Chong" VW Van he's spent thousands on! It's 40 years old!

HOLA4425

Probably the same door handles too on a RR too, I like them. My missus' Corolla shares a headlight with a similar vintage Celica. Shame about the rest of it.

Here's a picture I've just taken of a car with that very door handle, a personal favourite of mine, I have many (probably too many) examples.

leyland door handle.JPG

post-17575-0-21377100-1447440819_thumb.jpg

Archived