House Price Crash Forum

July To September Highest Number Of Btl Mortgages Issued Since 2007

jan81

HOLA441

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/nov/11/buy-to-let-mortgages-cml-lending-landlords-loans

Guardian article stating that number of buy to let mortgages still at a high level, even after summer budget. Fascinating really, I would have assumed that the tax changes and general signalling that landlords were coming under increasing scrutiny would be dampening enthusiasm among new entrants. I wonder if these people have thought it through, are not planning on being highly leveraged or if they just haven't taken the changes into account.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

many of the BTL mortgages are actually not BTL at all. The lending criteria are now preventing people from obtaining the mortgages they covet and BTL is a means to obtain a mortgage with far more relaxed lending criteria, for cash rich self employed for example. This is why the number of BTL mortgages are increasing.

HOLA4410

I'd guess the pension changes are driving this & if so a lot of people may have made a decision that they may have cause to regret - the cynic in me wonders if the changes aren't a back door method of raiding pension funds by trading on people's greed. Bit of a coincidence that the pension changes were highlighted well before the BTL tax changes were.

HOLA4411

I'd guess the pension changes are driving this & if so a lot of people may have made a decision that they may have cause to regret - the cynic in me wonders if the changes aren't a back door method of raiding pension funds by trading on people's greed. Bit of a coincidence that the pension changes were highlighted well before the BTL tax changes were.

This months budget statement will be interesting. One can only hope that this rise in BTL mortgages will inspire Osborne to bring forward the BTL tax reforms hidden by the smokescreen of relenting somewhat on WTC. The smarter speculators will have begun ditching their properties and these late entrant muppets will be like lambs to the slaughter.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

This months budget statement will be interesting. One can only hope that this rise in BTL mortgages will inspire Osborne to bring forward the BTL tax reforms hidden by the smokescreen of relenting somewhat on WTC. The smarter speculators will have begun ditching their properties and these late entrant muppets will be like lambs to the slaughter.

I think it will be the BOE that twist the knife Georgeie boy was quite clear he wants to give the BOE more powers to control the BTL mortgage market as soon as possible i think he may well of been aware of these figures

HOLA4415

many of the BTL mortgages are actually not BTL at all. The lending criteria are now preventing people from obtaining the mortgages they covet and BTL is a means to obtain a mortgage with far more relaxed lending criteria, for cash rich self employed for example. This is why the number of BTL mortgages are increasing.

I agree with this.

Especially in London. Deposit and 125% mortgage cover is all that is required.

HOLA4416

I agree with this.

Especially in London. Deposit and 125% mortgage cover is all that is required.

I've talked to a number of people who are themselves renting but also have a BTL property. I guess it makes sense given the differing lending criteria for OO and BTL mortgages....but surely set of policies that produces this as the "right" answer has just got to be wrong.

Edited by Exiled Canadian

HOLA4417

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-07-02/u-k-mortgage-seekers-exploit-loophole-to-avoid-new-credit-check

Old article from 2014.

I suspect the parents are involved too - so yes the pension freedoms are probably related.

Parents cash in pension. Buy a Buy to Let and rent it to one of their children who would otherwise be priced out.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/199515-liar-loan-btl-mortgage-fraud-starting-to-reach-msm/?p=1102543082

Edited by growlers

HOLA4418

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/nov/11/buy-to-let-mortgages-cml-lending-landlords-loans

Guardian article stating that number of buy to let mortgages still at a high level, even after summer budget. Fascinating really, I would have assumed that the tax changes and general signalling that landlords were coming under increasing scrutiny would be dampening enthusiasm among new entrants. I wonder if these people have thought it through, are not planning on being highly leveraged or if they just haven't taken the changes into account.

Deleted, as the post made no sense after the automatic censorship.

Edited by 65243

HOLA4419

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-07-02/u-k-mortgage-seekers-exploit-loophole-to-avoid-new-credit-check

Old article from 2014.

I suspect the parents are involved too - so yes the pension freedoms are probably related.

Parents cash in pension. Buy a Buy to Let and rent it to one of their children who would otherwise be priced out.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/199515-liar-loan-btl-mortgage-fraud-starting-to-reach-msm/?p=1102543082

These's new.

I've heard of a couple of these over the last year or two.

I think this is going to be the 20/month personal pension from the 80s cashing in well sub-100k pensions and leveraging up.

With the current low yield, BTL rent offset changes and the hidden costs (voids, bad tenants) this will be a disaster for the people involved.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

The higher the percentage of new mortgages going to BTL investors, the better. It means that the government can allow prices to correct without hurting so many hard working families (voters). Yes, BTL investors have votes too, but only one divided by the number of houses they "own".

The more the speculative investment in property, the more likely we are too have a sharp correction. The Bank and government will not want this.

HOLA4422

I believe that most of the lenders have rules about this. The most common is that you cannot bit one unless you already own your own property.

On the other side, something like 5% of residential mortgages are believed to be secret BTL properties.

HOLA4423

The more the speculative investment in property, the more likely we are too have a sharp correction. The Bank and government will not want this.

I do wonder how much the release of people's pensions was to allow then to be transferred into property for whatever reason

HOLA4424

HOLA4425