HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

People 40 or above (and that includes myself):

- Cannot name a single song that's in the top 40 of the charts

- Refuse to use "touchless" when paying for goods - insist on entering PIN

- Nod in agreement at the Daily Mail editorial

- Quite happy for a twenty-something attractive woman to wind up in your "friend zone"

HOLA446

I have just read that thinking 'I don't remember replying to this topic'

I would have chosen the same pieces except with addition of Beethoven's 7th symphony 2nd movement, I'm sure if you like those above it'll float your boat.

Karajan's 1963 recording of this is murderously good, and the rest of the boxset of his same dated set of the complete symphonies is very good too.

HOLA447
HOLA448

- Quite happy for a twenty-something attractive woman to wind up in your "friend zone"

Happy to say passing 40 hasn't affected me in any of those ways. Unless you compare to a time many years ago when a twenty-something looked old.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Not a patch on Carlos Kleiber.

I don't get the fixation with that kleiber 5 and 7 on dg from the 60s of that's what you mean.

It's very good. But Karajan's 1963 set, specifically the tidied up remasters done late 90s I think, beat it IMHO. As do both Lenny's recordings of the 5. And plenty more are in the ballpark.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Hate to admit it but when it comes to new technology I am shockingly frugal and out of date, still got a 2009 (or so) Nokia mobile with buttons. I think it comes down to being a bloody miser and if I can get away with a 500 minute/ 100 mb internet deal for a tenner a month then that's good enough for me. I leave the Samsung Nexus S6 for bankrupt students and those with Wonga loans.

Still don't comprehend the desirability of phones. A friend's son aged 22 forged his dad's signature to get a Nexus 6...just baffles me, must be better than cocaine these new phones.

HOLA4414

Hate to admit it but when it comes to new technology I am shockingly frugal and out of date, still got a 2009 (or so) Nokia mobile with buttons. I think it comes down to being a bloody miser and if I can get away with a 500 minute/ 100 mb internet deal for a tenner a month then that's good enough for me. I leave the Samsung Nexus S6 for bankrupt students and those with Wonga loans.

Still don't comprehend the desirability of phones. A friend's son aged 22 forged his dad's signature to get a Nexus 6...just baffles me, must be better than cocaine these new phones.

When I was a kid I loved "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and used to imagine what it would be like to have such a device. And now just a couple of decades later we are there, with phones that can do far far more than Douglas Adams could ever predict.

For the price of a round of drinks a month.

Didn't Adams come up with something like "any technology invented before you're 20 you take for granted; anything that comes after your 40 seems miraculous"

When I got my first 4g smartphone with Spotify, I truly "got" the potential of these things. Amazing how we take them for granted. I remember being excited about the first camera phones, being able to text grainy images - and now I can follow astronauts on Twitter, looking at their photos from the ISS.

Us 40 somethings have been lucky to witness the evolution of this technology from a 56k modem connected to a computer the size of a wheely case to - what is to all intents and purposes - a supercharged H2G2

HOLA4415

Didn't Adams come up with something like "any technology invented before you're 20 you take for granted; anything that comes after your 40 seems miraculous"

Probably more "pointless" than "miraculous" these days, seeing as people who grew up with computers are entering their 40s now. I'm rather hoping we'll grow out of this obsession for high-tech gimmicks (but I'm hoping without hope). Most of them don't really make life better and help create people so disconnected that they appear utterly incapable of appreciating anything meaningful (why else do we f*ck it up so much?)

Us 40 somethings have been lucky to witness the evolution of this technology from a 56k modem connected to a computer the size of a wheely case to - what is to all intents and purposes - a supercharged H2G2

"Lucky" isn't the word I'd use.

HOLA4416

56k? Luxury!

My first modem was 1200 baud (1k) download, 75bits (less than 0.1k) upload. And it wasn't the slowest I've encountered.

HOLA4417

I really don't get all these 40 somethings that groan and moan about the body falling apart. I'm approaching 50, and feel just as fit as I did in my 30's, and I'm not exactly a fitness bunny. Do you think it's because people who caned drink and drugs in their 20's get more problems early? I didn't...

and - I suppose - I walk 2 miles every day without fail, often more at weekends, plus work in the garden to keep fit when I can.

HOLA4418

I really don't get all these 40 somethings that groan and moan about the body falling apart. I'm approaching 50, and feel just as fit as I did in my 30's, and I'm not exactly a fitness bunny. Do you think it's because people who caned drink and drugs in their 20's get more problems early? I didn't...

I never did drugs or smoking but I've drunk a fair bit and I don't do anywhere near enough exercise. It's only really my back though, and I think that it was probably the digging down a mine that did that.

HOLA4419

and - I suppose - I walk 2 miles every day without fail, often more at weekends, plus work in the garden to keep fit when I can.

Purely anecdotally, I caned it through my 20s and a sizeable portion of my 30s, and having just turned 40 I've never felt fitter...

HOLA4420

With regard to males of my age group the o es that seem to be suffering the aches and pains most are the ones who played a lot of sport when they were younger, I know two blokes who had hips replaced in their mid to late thirties, both big footballers.

I myself spent the best part of twenty years playing every sport I could and am now paying for it.

Oddly enough lads I went to school with that never played any competitive sport are now the ones buying bikes and cycling everywhere and telling those us with knackered joints we need to be doing more exercise.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

With regard to males of my age group the o es that seem to be suffering the aches and pains most are the ones who played a lot of sport when they were younger, I know two blokes who had hips replaced in their mid to late thirties, both big footballers.

I myself spent the best part of twenty years playing every sport I could and am now paying for it.

Oddly enough lads I went to school with that never played any competitive sport are now the ones buying bikes and cycling everywhere and telling those us with knackered joints we need to be doing more exercise.

Yes, thinking about the blokes I know that's pretty accurate.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I can probably name one song at any one time. I have a rough idea of who the artists are. Though I'm more inclined to watch the Jools Holland show. Mind you there's some crap on there too. "Didn't we love seeing [insert name here] perform?" crows Jools to the audience. "Actually, no. It was akin to having your ears stabbed with forks."

As for the Daily Mail, I might well have agreed when in my 20s, now, that bile-filled rag of fascist hate just makes me angry and I'm hardly what you'd call "left wing".

HOLA4425

Peer pressure. Expensive trainers were the equivalent in the 80's.

I have completely switched to cash for real-life shopping in the last 5 years or so, I refuse to be profiled by banksters and corporations any more than what I can't avoid on the internet.

Archived