House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Crickhowell: Welsh Town Moves 'offshore' To Avoid Tax On Local Business

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crickhowell-welsh-town-moves-offshore-to-avoid-tax-on-local-business-a6728971.html

When independent traders in a small Welsh town discovered the loopholes used by multinational giants to avoid paying UK tax, they didn’t just get mad.

Now local businesses in Crickhowell are turning the tables on the likes of Google and Starbucks by employing the same accountancy practices used by the world’s biggest companies, to move their entire town “offshore”.

Advised by experts and followed by a BBC crew, family-run shops in the Brecon Beacons town have submitted their own DIY tax plan to HMRC, copying the offshore arrangements used by global brands which pay little or no corporation tax.

The Powys tax rebellion, led by traders including the town’s salmon smokery, local coffee shop, book shop, optician and bakery, could spread nationwide.

Crickhowell residents want to share their tax avoidance plan with other towns, in a bid to force the Treasury into legislation to crack down on loopholes which allowed the likes of Amazon to pay just £11.9m of tax last year on £5.3bn of UK internet sales.

A town dominated by independent businesses, some of which have been passed down three generations, Crickhowell traders recently fought off a high street planning application from a large supermarket chain.

In the BBC2 documentary, The Town that Went Offshore, the residents express their anger at companies including Caffé Nero, which has not paid corporation tax in the UK since 2008, despite recording sales worth £1.2 billion.

I can see off shore tricks being only allowed to large companies with certain capital requirements, can't have the proles playing the same game as the rich!!! The proles pay taxes and the rich avoid them.

If more follow the lead on this George might have a bit of a tax revenue problem.

Sounds like the boston tea party all over again. No taxation without representation (non crony representation).

I doubt most people will follow- most people just don't understand. Its just sad to see them living in the matrix. You'll never convince them the matrix doesn't exist, they'll only ever get angry that you're questioning their belief system

Simple lesson, and not a new one. Corporation tax is not fit for purpose.

I don't know if that's new with the coming of the 'net or a long-standing situation that's only recently come to public attention. But it's clearly the case now.

Since businesses are de facto individuals now, tax them on their revenues like individuals. Then perhaps everyone's rates can go down.

Or, tax pollution or something else we don't want. Wouldn't most companies support a CO2 tax, which is something they can control the production of, vs. a tax on profits which is what they want more of? Why are we taxing things we want more of and giving free rides to things we want none of?

Crickhowell is a great place - more like Weybridge than a Welsh town (but much nicer people than Weybridge)

Their Rotary Club is a force to be reckoned with!

Killer narrow bridge on the way in though....

In the few weeks I stopped over around 25 years ago I saw upteen accidents on it.... Wonder if they have upgraded and widened it now...

Three way controlled traffic lights now - and it is good to sit in the beer garden of the Bridge and watch the fun.

Also seems to have a pub for about every 7 of the population - including one that appears to be in someone's front room.

Since businesses are de facto individuals now, tax them on their revenues like individuals. Then perhaps everyone's rates can go down.

Or, tax pollution or something else we don't want. Wouldn't most companies support a CO2 tax, which is something they can control the production of, vs. a tax on profits which is what they want more of? Why are we taxing things we want more of and giving free rides to things we want none of?

Glad to hear I'm not the only one to think so.

https://bahumbug.wordpress.com/2006/10/30/green-taxes/

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crickhowell-welsh-town-moves-offshore-to-avoid-tax-on-local-business-a6728971.html

I can see off shore tricks being only allowed to large companies with certain capital requirements, can't have the proles playing the same game as the rich!!! The proles pay taxes and the rich avoid them.

If more follow the lead on this George might have a bit of a tax revenue problem.

Brilliant! I hope they succeed and more areas do this. If you can't beat them...I am sure the government will find a way of banning plebs from doing this though. Only the rich and multinationals should be allowed to evade avoid tax.

The irony is that when threatened, the likes of Amazon say they'll just move their business "offshore", taking all their non-existent jobs with them. If they trade and operate in the UK, they should pay UK taxes just like everybody else.

The irony is that when threatened, the likes of Amazon say they'll just move their business "offshore", taking all their non-existent jobs with them. If they trade and operate in the UK, they should pay UK taxes just like everybody else.

If they move all of their business offshore I suspect they'll have a hard job supplying and delivering tat next day. It's not like Amazon have particularly good jobs to offer the locals anyhow.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

If they move all of their business offshore I suspect they'll have a hard job supplying and delivering tat next day. It's not like Amazon have particularly good jobs to offer the locals anyhow.

The point I was perhaps not making very well was that they're the most ardent supporters of robotisation and are moving toward majority automation of their warehouse operations. The remaining jobs are, as you say, not very desirable and often come with harsh working conditions.