House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
200p

200 Homes, Nimby Meet At Overton - They Say "no", "no", "no", "no!"

No point in building them anyway, they will just be over-priced and bought with prop money or by investors.

I still think they are NIMBY scum due to their selfishness, though.

People leaving comments on the website don't seem too sympathetic to the NIMBYs cause.

I suspect they're also the sort people who'd complain the most if there was an HPC, so no sympathy here. They're going to have to take the medicine soon, hope they haven't done anything silly like MEW'd or bought a BTL or equity released.

If they don't want new homes built, then just put their council tax up so they can pay the share that new housing would have paid towards all the things council needs to spend money on.

If they don't want new homes built, then just put their council tax up so they can pay the share that new housing would have paid towards all the things council needs to spend money on.

That is too much of a spurious argument - if the new houses were built then they wouldn't just be contributing to current services - the council would need to spend extra money on all the extra services for the new residents.

I'd only say is there a need for additional housing in that area (not demand - that is a different thing)? So if there are lots of new employers in the local area (say, 5 miles radius - that would be an easy bike ride) then fine, otherwise the houses are only making Overton a dormitory village for Basingstoke and Winchester, with associated increased traffic and demand for local services without any real positives.

If any locals are complaining about the lack of affordable housing for their children working in local industry (which I guess would be farming) then they could spend their time protesting about stupid government incentives to 'invest' in housing. But I bet those nimbys are actually complaining about the houses lowering the value of their houses, which is perhaps understandable, but is of course one symptom of the UK disease.

One of the real disasters of housing policy over the last gazillion years has been the amazing ability of town planning to make life inside towns so much more unpleasant than life anywhere else (that the planners have less influence over). Hence everyone living outside the towns (if they can get away with it) and commuting in.

If the NIMBYS hate the prospect of new homes being built, then they can just pool their funds, buy the land from the developer and sit on it.

Of course, they want to exercise ownership of said land without actually paying for it.

EDIT: spelling error

Edited by Uncle_Kenny

We got our houses and community, everyone else can go swing!

(but while the younger folk are swinging, can they please pay for our pensions, healthcare, bus pass, subsidised NS&I interest rate, winter fuel, TV license etc? kthxbye)

Perhaps this is a developer who has proposed something completely inappropriate for the area to set expectations? Expecting to be rejected and then present something more appropriate as a compromise?

Just a thought. I know nothing about the area.

Perhaps this is a developer who has proposed something completely inappropriate for the area to set expectations? Expecting to be rejected and then present something more appropriate as a compromise?

Come on porca, play fair. There's a time and a place for facts.

Except the protesters response shows no such nuance.

Part of the problem is that noone seems to be organising a public counter argument to these nimby'ers. In absence of it local planners only have developer (greedy) VS old timers (nimbys) argument presented and of course the villagers win. Join the IYB movement.

I tried to support the development at a local meeting of 150+ Nimbys. Nearly got gummed to death and was lucky that I can still outrun a zimmer. I don't even get an invite to the Barn Dance anymore.

Part of the problem is that noone seems to be organising a public counter argument to these nimby'ers. In absence of it local planners only have developer (greedy) VS old timers (nimbys) argument presented and of course the villagers win. Join the IYB movement.

That's because the natural counter objectors have their time taken up by work and raising children in difficult pokey rented accommodation. They have also become used to being politically ignored.

That's because the natural counter objectors have their time taken up by work and raising children in difficult pokey rented accommodation. They have also become used to being politically ignored.

No - the problem is that the Nimbys live in the area and control the councillors. The ones in favour of the developments don't live in the area (yet) and therefore have no say.

Objecting to any new development just seems to be the default position. We get it all the time around here - a website dedicated to objecting to new developments, everyone of which has been targeted as far as I am aware and always some spurious grounds; the area flooded once, too much traffic during development, character of the "village", too much traffic once its finished etc. etc. They even knock around door to door with their petitions just expecting you to sign and the genuinely seem slightly surprised when I don't (always grey haired, likely in many cases to have moved here for retirement and offering very little to the local community).

I f*cking hate nimbys!

Objecting to any new development just seems to be the default position. We get it all the time around here - a website dedicated to objecting to new developments, everyone of which has been targeted as far as I am aware and always some spurious grounds; the area flooded once, too much traffic during development, character of the "village", too much traffic once its finished etc. etc. They even knock around door to door with their petitions just expecting you to sign and the genuinely seem slightly surprised when I don't (always grey haired, likely in many cases to have moved here for retirement and offering very little to the local community).

I f*cking hate nimbys!

I think you must live in my village - anywhere near Woking?

But the article states that the planners: "have submitted an outline planning application to Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council after reviewing feedback from two stages of consultation.’’ ... I'd guess that means that compromises have already been made, which are still objected to.

And again, I know nothing about the area.

They tried to build some FTB prefabs, and we said no, no, no.

Eventually the electorate demography will swing in favour of the young and rented to the extent these myopic protests will be laughed at by the authorities.

Edited by Sibley's Love Child

In a few years when one half of a couple has died and the other is on their own, they will be moaning about how their children have let them down, moving out of the area and not being near enough to help them.

NIMBYs = Selfish people who campaign to drive their children out of the area.