House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

Fruit Smoothies

After seeing the adverts on TV for the fruit blender thing we bought one. I thought this would be healthy. I can make one up quickly and drink it after lunch.

I love fruit, but just never seem to get around to eating it (oh, the barrier that is peeling an orange) so this seemed like a great idea to get some extra vitamins. So I've been making one each day from a mixture of the fruit we bought. Usually one banana, some berries, and a little yoghourt. Very nice.

However: if I were to say "through the eye of a needle"..

Maybe it's just the combinations. Today I was left with two kiwi fruit, a banana and some natural yoghourt. So I mixed those up.

This resulted in a revolting mixture that managed to taste like pears, for some reason, kiwis are my favourite fruit eaten as they are. I drank it anyway. My stomach is still working on it and making loud noises.

I might need more fibre.

I usually find a few pints of Abbot Ale does the same to me. :blink:

I don't really get the "smoothie" thing and would rather eat real fruit. You probably made too much, and it upset your stomach.

There's something Zen about peeling an orange, but for real enlightenment, try removing all the seeds from a kiwi fruit.

I did this, the blended fruit mix is "aireated" i.e if you look at it closely it's full of air bubbles after blending.

Drinking this in an aireated state is probably the cause of the upset stomach.

Try leaving it to settle for while after blending.

My blender and smootie idea ended up in the bottom the the cupboard after about 3 goes.

I get this when I go to posh hotels, pile into the breakfast fruit and nuts and go on to regret it.

This reinforces the message that much as I may like fruit the really healthy food is veg which doesn't have such effects.

I recall I have a ‘smoothie’ maker from Costco years back that has only been used a handful of times. It’s basically a blender with a tap – I guess this way the fibre isn’t lost from the fruit or does processing it at such a speed destroy the fibre anyway? (TBH I wasn’t all that impressed with it but this could’ve been the smoothies I tried to make were bad choices).

A juicer removes the fibre and makes it quite an unnatural "food".

Get one that blends (Is that the nutribullet?) and try that.

And put some vegetables in it.

Carrots, celery and apples.

I like blending up a smoothie, my favourite combo is: figs, apples, peaches, blueberries and a slug of grape juice. I don't get why everyone always puts banana in.

Without venturing to Google - I imagine the banana is used to thicken it up a bit ?

Without venturing to Google - I imagine the banana is used to thicken it up a bit ?

Fruit is solid, generally you need to dilute it a bit. I think banana is added just for the cheap and healthy attributes, but I don't think the taste is great in combination with other fruits. Banana tastes good with carameel/toffee but that rather weakens the healthy aspect.

Fruit is solid, generally you need to dilute it a bit. I think banana is added just for the cheap and healthy attributes, but I don't think the taste is great in combination with other fruits. Banana tastes good with carameel/toffee but that rather weakens the healthy aspect.

I am off to master google to find out.

That'll be what I have then, in fact I have both a juicer and a blender one. Done a few fresh juices but again something that's not been used in ages. Wondered what to do with all the pulp so went off researching and lobbed it in a loaf of bread - turned out terrible!

I too find banana can tend to make those things a bit sickly. Care needed.

I've noticed that most (non-citrus) juices you can buy in the supermarkets are apple-and-something. Even things like 'exotic'/'tropical' seem to have an apple base. In my own machine I find apple is indeed a universal mixer that goes nicely with more-or-less anything. But I've also found carrot to be a brilliant and more-or-less equally-universal mixer. So for example, after first enjoying apple, pear and ginger as a delicious semi-regular, I found I could just as well switch to carrot, pear and ginger. Different colour, similar but slightly less sweet taste.

Some things take on a completely different character in a drink. Just a few radishes make a nice flavour in exactly the same manner as ginger. Or a little celery, which I never liked in its solid form, actually makes a decent flavour.

Don't forget to try apple, cucumber, and mint. The most vivid green, and a delicious cooling drink (with or without a slug of gin or vodka) for a hot summer day.

I too find banana can tend to make those things a bit sickly. Care needed.

I've noticed that most (non-citrus) juices you can buy in the supermarkets are apple-and-something. Even things like 'exotic'/'tropical' seem to have an apple base. In my own machine I find apple is indeed a universal mixer that goes nicely with more-or-less anything. But I've also found carrot to be a brilliant and more-or-less equally-universal mixer. So for example, after first enjoying apple, pear and ginger as a delicious semi-regular, I found I could just as well switch to carrot, pear and ginger. Different colour, similar but slightly less sweet taste.

Some things take on a completely different character in a drink. Just a few radishes make a nice flavour in exactly the same manner as ginger. Or a little celery, which I never liked in its solid form, actually makes a decent flavour.

Don't forget to try apple, cucumber, and mint. The most vivid green, and a delicious cooling drink (with or without a slug of gin or vodka) for a hot summer day.

Do you cook the carrot first?

And pickled onions and chillies.

Ugh. Not bloomin' likely.

I've a thought - I wonder what a roasted smoothie would taste like, get some of the sugars extracted first!

And pickled onions and chillies.

Never got around to trying onions, pickled or otherwise. Is it a flavour you can ever get rid of?

Also found chillies disappointing in my juicer. The heat doesn't seem to make it into the drink.

Never got around to trying onions, pickled or otherwise. Is it a flavour you can ever get rid of?

Also found chillies disappointing in my juicer. The heat doesn't seem to make it into the drink.

Actually, I'm making dangerous pickled onions again, and pickled eggs. It that time of year! I'm looking forward to Yule. It will be an event of bog-smashing proportions! I wish to win the "Iron Ring of Somerset" title again! :wacko:

That'll be what I have then, in fact I have both a juicer and a blender one. Done a few fresh juices but again something that's not been used in ages. Wondered what to do with all the pulp so went off researching and lobbed it in a loaf of bread - turned out terrible!

I've got one of those collecting dust on a shelf somewhere. I saw something recently regarding uses for the pulp, suggesting to make it into veggie burgers. But my juicer leaves such a dry pulp that I'd question exactly how much nutrient you're going to get from it, as I'd expect the vast majority of it went into the juice that you already drank. Good for the fibre, sure, but then so are normal veggies or psyllium husks.

Actually, I'm making dangerous pickled onions again, and pickled eggs. It that time of year! I'm looking forward to Yule. It will be an event of bog-smashing proportions! I wish to win the "Iron Ring of Somerset" title again! :wacko:

So it was YOU who flooded zummerzet in the first few months of last year?

I can recommend tins of Princes mango. Pour away the syrup, pour pieces into a cheap blender, add 3/4 pint of water. Blend, and drink. Breakfast done in 2 minutes.

There's something Zen about peeling an orange, but for real enlightenment, try removing all the seeds from a kiwi fruit.

:D

I always remove the peel from my citrus fruits in one piece. People who don't do this are heathens.

So it was YOU who flooded zummerzet in the first few months of last year?

Actually a bloke I used to work with, was flooded out, because the council "where does my money go North Somerset?" had failed to maintain a drain! His house filled up with water, and it's just been repaired. They filled in a ditch to stop "travellers" camping there. He is still involved in legal action.

Just seen you active on this thread, did you buy that Super Nova in the end?

Never saw your response on the other thread about the UK version ?