House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Black Friday Productivity Meltdown Threat, People Requesting Day Off!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/black-friday-employers-fear-online-shopping-will-spur-productivity-meltdown-a6727471.html

Almost 8000 employers have called a leading employment law consultancy in the last three days after being overwhelmed by holiday requests for November 27, or Black Friday.

Peninsula Business Services said many employers feared office productivity would be hit by online shopping after most of these holiday requests had to be denied.

Employers expect holiday requests during Easter, summer and Christmas, but many had been caught unawares by employees asking for time off on Black Friday weekend.

Black Friday falls the day after Thanksgiving in the US and is the biggest shopping day for US stores as people scramble for bargains ahead of Christmas.

It has recently crossed the Atlantic and shifted UK shoppers’ buying patterns. One in six UK shoppers plan to shop on Black Friday, according to a recent survey, which could leave employers short staffed.

But giving people the time off will boost GDP, just want do people want? Spending money boosts economic activity. Perhaps the answer is to turn it into a bank holiday where the family can go out for a fight over a wide screen TV reduced by £50 in a bargain hunt frenzy?

My wife is an area manager with a national retailer that participated in Black Friday last year. According to her (i) it was a giant cluster****** and they weren't remotely prepared for the level of demand, and (ii) it didn't actually improve their quarterly trading figures at all - people went mad buying discounted stuff on Black Friday but then spent less over the Christmas period in consequence. Basically, the only thing UK retailers have achieved by embracing this shop-fest is to compress a lot of their Christmas trading into a single day, massively overloading their stores and distribution networks for no meaningful gain.

My wife is an area manager with a national retailer that participated in Black Friday last year. According to her (i) it was a giant cluster****** and they weren't remotely prepared for the level of demand, and (ii) it didn't actually improve their quarterly trading figures at all - people went mad buying discounted stuff on Black Friday but then spent less over the Christmas period in consequence. Basically, the only thing UK retailers have achieved by embracing this shop-fest is to compress a lot of their Christmas trading into a single day, massively overloading their stores and distribution networks for no meaningful gain.

Quite. The best thing to do would be to admit it's American consumerist avarice of the worst kind, and kill it dead.

PLEASE tell me they don't plan to participate this year? It would be insane if they had that strong evidence that it had a negative effect on their trading figures, yet continued the madness for a 3rd year?

It has recently crossed the Atlantic and shifted UK shoppers’ buying patterns.

"... in a disastrous / amusing experiment of 2 years which is now over" should be the end of that sentence.

Edited by mrtickle

I remember the good old days when Black Friday was the last working Friday before Christmas and everyone used to go out and get trashed.

I wonder if TTIP has a clause that says the UK and its MSM will become the USA's bitch?

I WANT A BLAUPUNK TV!!!!

In the days of robocop it was a good brand...I remember dad getting his first Merc in 89 and being well excited it had a 'blaupunkt'

Another marque that whores itself out to chinese sweatshops.

Edited by Executive Sadman

Yeah, I remember a senior John Lewis chap basically saying that after last years. So I imagine a lot of black friday offerings will be more measured this year.

Backlash:

Superstore Asda has today confirmed it will step back from this year’s Black Friday sales - in a bid to invest £26 million more into sustained deals across the festive period.

According to customer feedback, the high-pressured one-day extravaganza leads to 'fatigue' - and many shoppers would in fact prefer savings throughout Christmas, including on their traditional shop, instead of a 24-hour flash sale.

Asda, whose parent Walmart leads the way on Black Friday in the US, first introduced the event to the UK in 2013, but after two years, has dropped out, despite the 24-hour bonanza being one of the biggest sales days for businesses, with Amazon reporting more than 5.5 items sold in 2014.

Instead of the hustle and bustle of one or two day sales where customers typically push the boat out on high-value items, Asda shoppers say they’d prefer deals on value-for-money, high-quality products that all the family can enjoy.

The food-chain promises that from early-November through to Christmas and into the New Year customers will see more offers landing in stores and online including deals on toys and gifts, Christmas food and drink, and household basics.

Asda President and CEO, Andy Clarke said: “The decision to step away from Black Friday is not about the event itself.

"Over the last two years we’ve developed an organised, well-executed plan, but this year customers have told us loud and clear that they don’t want to be held hostage to a day or two of sales."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/shopping-deals/asda-drop-out-black-friday-6802632

In the days of robocop it was a good brand...I remember dad getting his first Merc in 89 and being well excited it had a 'blaupunkt'

Another marque that whores itself out to chinese sweatshops.

Indeed, did channel 4 used to have very short films between programmes centred on UK commuters in their various cars circa 1993, one rep bloke was telling the camera about why he specced the optional Blaupunkt stereo in his 3 series. Seems pretty silly now.

The good thing for these employers is that if they ever need to make redundancies the pool of employees who request holiday on 'Black Friday' have identified themselves as being the ones most in need of the chop.

Quite. The best thing to do would be to admit it's American consumerist avarice of the worst kind, and kill it dead.

PLEASE tell me they don't plan to participate this year? It would be insane if they had that strong evidence that it had a negative effect on their trading figures, yet continued the madness for a 3rd year?

"... in a disastrous / amusing experiment of 2 years which is now over" should be the end of that sentence.

Err yeah. Ban anyone from trying to sell me cheap stuff.

Support the profits of the retailers !

Interesting that the first supermarket to break ranks is Asda, which is owned by Walmart.

The story on the Beeb website http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34774289 makes the point about consumers concentrating spending on one day.

"Separately, the British Retail Consortium (BRC) attributed "disappointing" retail sales in October to customers delaying purchases in anticipation of Black Friday, which this year is due to take place on 27 November.

It said the total value of retail sales between 4 October and 31 October was 0.9% higher than a year earlier, down from a 3.9% increase in September.

"October was a somewhat disappointing month overall for retailers," said Helen Dickinson, chief executive of the BRC.

"A number of categories which we'd typically expect to be popular on Black Friday saw a slowdown in October, suggesting that some shoppers may be holding out in the hope of some great deals at the end of November.""

Also mentions the possible reputational damage of photos / videos of people fighting over goods.

I remember the good old days when Black Friday was the last working Friday before Christmas and everyone used to go out and get trashed.

Unfortunately just copping for 1 round in the pub these days costs the same as buying a lot of this 'Black Friday' Chinese tat.

Not much I would imagine. Imported tat, east European haulage, retailer based off-shore paying sub living wage.

Most UK economic activity comes from either financial transaction skimming, property transactions or laundering/sheltering criminal money from abroad with the rest coming from low grade services.

Indeed, did channel 4 used to have very short films between programmes centred on UK commuters in their various cars circa 1993, one rep bloke was telling the camera about why he specced the optional Blaupunkt stereo in his 3 series. Seems pretty silly now.

That reminds me of something that happened about that time which has absolutely nothing to do with Black Friday.

The woman who was my direct boss was the financial controller and she rated a company car. She selectd what was then a top of the range-ish 3 series, maybe a 323i. There was enough money left in the budget for either an alarm or a stereo. She got the stereo which was nicked within a couple of weeks.

Backlash:

Superstore Asda has today confirmed it will step back from this year’s Black Friday sales - in a bid to invest £26 million more into sustained deals across the festive period.

According to customer feedback, the high-pressured one-day extravaganza leads to 'fatigue' - and many shoppers would in fact prefer savings throughout Christmas, including on their traditional shop, instead of a 24-hour flash sale.

Asda, whose parent Walmart leads the way on Black Friday in the US, first introduced the event to the UK in 2013, but after two years, has dropped out, despite the 24-hour bonanza being one of the biggest sales days for businesses, with Amazon reporting more than 5.5 items sold in 2014.

Instead of the hustle and bustle of one or two day sales where customers typically push the boat out on high-value items, Asda shoppers say they’d prefer deals on value-for-money, high-quality products that all the family can enjoy.

The food-chain promises that from early-November through to Christmas and into the New Year customers will see more offers landing in stores and online including deals on toys and gifts, Christmas food and drink, and household basics.

Asda President and CEO, Andy Clarke said: “The decision to step away from Black Friday is not about the event itself.

"Over the last two years we’ve developed an organised, well-executed plan, but this year customers have told us loud and clear that they don’t want to be held hostage to a day or two of sales."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/shopping-deals/asda-drop-out-black-friday-6802632

Excellent news! Thanks for posting. Hope more shops decide to "step back" (!) from it too. Or "stop doing it", as we say in normal language.