House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cica

Spectre (James Bond)

I saw Spectre last night.

What the hell happened here? Sam Mendes made a great James Bond film with Skyfall.

Spectre is an awful film. How can you fall that far? Although the same director it must be a completely different crew or they've been told just to get it out ASAP.

It's simply got the bare minimum of elements to make it recognisable as a Bond film and nothing more.

Did anyone actually think it was good?

Mild Spoilers Ahead :

Went to see it last night as well. I think it was a very weak story to be honest, it seems they went for an over arching story across all of Craig's films but it didn't hit the mark at all in that respect. with something like Bond you can be pretty sure you will be able to get the finance to do as many films as you fancy and so taking that approach could have really been done well. You could have left all manner of easter eggs, references and themes but it was literally just the main boss saying all those last 4 villains were working for me.

To be fair it held my attention, but it really didn't deliver ultimately.

I was disappointed too. There's a moment when Bond walks into a confusingly dim and shapeless room built around a curious lump of rock. He turns to his beautiful assistant and says sarcastically 'I think we're supposed to be impressed.' It rather summed up how I felt about the whole film.

Daniel Craig as bond is a joke IMO, as a mercenary, as a hit man, even a rough round the edges cop or as anything to do with action or war yes, not Bond though, he has to try to be smooth, and it shows. The only one I saw is the one with him tied to the chair being tortured (is that the first one?) left the cinema around that point, just didn`t care what happened to him TBH. All the clips of the other films I have seen just make me cringe. Bond is of it`s time, and Pierce Brosnan got away with it for a couple of movies (just) but they should have called it a day after him IMO. Of course in a world where people go to see Fast and Furious 15 there will be money in making Bond for a long time yet probably.

Daniel Craig as bond is a joke IMO, as a mercenary, as a hit man, even a rough round the edges cop or as anything to do with action or war yes, not Bond though, he has to try to be smooth, and it shows. The only one I saw is the one with him tied to the chair being tortured (is that the first one?) left the cinema around that point, just didn`t care what happened to him TBH. All the clips of the other films I have seen just make me cringe. Bond is of it`s time, and Pierce Brosnan got away with it for a couple of movies (just) but they should have called it a day after him IMO. Of course in a world where people go to see Fast and Furious 15 there will be money in making Bond for a long time yet probably.

Agree. He isn't suave enough and has too much of the hired thug/killer about him.

I preferred the style of Brosnan (but the films weren't up to much). My favourite Bond is still Timothy Dalton (controversial choice).

Yeah agreed it was dire. Some glum faces on cinema exit. After watching the Graham Norton interviews with cast prior to going to see it I suspected it may be rubbish. I put it down to Graham being a pisspoor interviewer. Clearly he was selling it so like others felt a tad taken in by the hype.

Could Gerard Butler play Bond? I reckon he could do sophisticated plus dangerous better than Craig, he just looks dangerous. Craig would make a great Bond baddie, but not Bond. WTF are the producers of this franchise doing, they don`t seem to have a clue......

Could Gerard Butler play Bond? I reckon he could do sophistiycated plus dangerous better than Craig, he just looks dangerous. Craig would make a great Bond baddie, but not Bond. WTF are the producers of this franchise doing, they don`t seem to have a clue......

Maybe Craig has an exec producer credit?

Yeah agreed it was dire. Some glum faces on cinema exit. After watching the Graham Norton interviews with cast prior to going to see it I suspected it may be rubbish. I put it down to Graham being a pisspoor interviewer. Clearly he was selling it so like others felt a tad taken in by the hype.

Norton is sometimes great, when he is being funny, as a serious interviewer he can be not bad, but he is there mainly to sell product, you won`t get anything other than "Go see it, it`s GREAT!" from him or else his little line of celeb guests would quickly disappear. What is noticeable nowadays is the way that so called A-listers are on shows like GN ALL THE F*UCKING TIME, they must be really desperate to punt their wares. Back in the day getting Streep or Cruise on a chat show would have been a major event, things really have moved away from the movie studios and stars having a captive audience again, like they did with the advent of TV.

Maybe Craig has an exec producer credit?

Maybe, but if he is smart he will push for someone else to be Bond, they could have him going over to Spectre and bring in 008 or something. That probably wouldn`t work, but the franchise doesn`t work anymore anyway IMO.

Agree. He isn't suave enough and has too much of the hired thug/killer about him.

I preferred the style of Brosnan (but the films weren't up to much). My favourite Bond is still Timothy Dalton (controversial choice).

I don't like Bond films generally but enjoyed the Timothy Dalton ones. Since Daniel Craig has been Bond I love the films, something to do with being female I think.

Openin scene fab as everyone agrees. Last 15 mins or so pretty decent too.

Somewhere along the line it lost all the decent dialogue. Too many "you have impeccable taste" one liners which didnt really work.

Im a Daniel Craig fan. Love his edgy, violent, thuggish Bond.

Think theyre struggling a bit without the class of Judi Dench & the women in this one were pretty weak all round.

Also the theme song is rubbish. Cant remember any of the tune & most people can recall any Bond theme instantly.

Q character/relationsgip with Bond developing nicely however.

Its all about selling sh1t though - and anyone who pays £400 for a pair of Tom Ford plastic sunspecs is a certifiable loon.

Opening scene had some good parts. The rearrange-the-cuff-links moment was a bit cheesy. Also, the scuffles in the helicopter seemed to be the same shots just repeated over and over and over from different angles.

I don't like Bond films generally but enjoyed the Timothy Dalton ones. Since Daniel Craig has been Bond I love the films, something to do with being female I think.

Really? He always looks like he's just been in a boxing match (and lost). Not the English Gentleman at all.

Bond looked like he needed putting out of his misery, in the Brosnan years, and Bourne did it with a rolled up magazine, and probably forgot about it.

Norton is sometimes great, when he is being funny, as a serious interviewer he can be not bad, but he is there mainly to sell product, you won`t get anything other than "Go see it, it`s GREAT!" from him or else his little line of celeb guests would quickly disappear. What is noticeable nowadays is the way that so called A-listers are on shows like GN ALL THE F*UCKING TIME, they must be really desperate to punt their wares. Back in the day getting Streep or Cruise on a chat show would have been a major event, things really have moved away from the movie studios and stars having a captive audience again, like they did with the advent of TV.

i seriously wonder if Bradley Cooper lives in the Graham Norton sofa.

Incidentally, although it got bad reviews, I thought the A-team movie did action movie comic/absurdism well. I reckon a lot of reviewers had never seen the original TV show.