House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
juvenal

Three Hours A Day Commuters Increasing

'Employers need to address the problem that many of their staff are spending an ever-increasing number of hours getting to and from work.

'More home and flexi-working could easily be introduced to allow people to cut their commutes and save money. This would not only be popular with workers, but fewer, better-spaced journeys would help to beat overcrowding on the roads and railways.'

Nothing about more reasonable house prices so they could live nearer, just solve the problem by people not having to commute.

It's just more evidence of blatant management and political incompetence and creation of increasing economic imbalance.

Some people commute from one end of the country to another while an equal number of people with similar skills and experience commute in the other direction. It's been like that for decades and is clearly getting worse and really only helps to support things like fuel prices, transport, car sales and hotel prices and likely that's why it continues - apart from the utter incompetence of those runnings things of course.

BtL was supposed to help to solve that sort of problem but it clearly has made no contribution apart from bumping up house prices making it more difficult for people to move to the jobs through crazy house prices. Complete policy failure by those who run things.

The incompetence of the LibLabCon is a threat to the economy and a threat to national security.

Edited by billybong

Its completely ridiculous, is it any wonder most people dream of quitting the rat race.

For me part of the problem is that most people think in terms of absolute income rather than relative income, i.e. the more you earn the better, without regard to how long you have to work to earn it & how much it costs to maintain the lifestyle - travelling to & from work as well as being time consuming is also sodding expensive. What's the point of working all the hours God sends (I class commuting time as work BTW) to be skint by the time you've paid the bills & paid for the privilege of getting there & back? Isn't the idea that work pays??? If so, for whom?

I reckon a lot of people would probably better off earning less & working closer to home - but very few seem to think in those terms.

Nothing about more reasonable house prices so they could live nearer, just solve the problem by people not having to commute.

No, they make better suggestions. Those of us who work remotely can choose to live in affordable places. And each of us doing so is someone not competing for scarce accommodation in London.

Another decade of bat-sh*t crazy house prices and all their terrible side-effects and who knows, maybe the great British public will realise that double-digit house price growth each year doesn't quite lead to the utopia they were expecting.

Its completely ridiculous, is it any wonder most people dream of quitting the rat race.

For me part of the problem is that most people think in terms of absolute income rather than relative income, i.e. the more you earn the better, without regard to how long you have to work to earn it & how much it costs to maintain the lifestyle - travelling to & from work as well as being time consuming is also sodding expensive. What's the point of working all the hours God sends (I class commuting time as work BTW) to be skint by the time you've paid the bills & paid for the privilege of getting there & back? Isn't the idea that work pays??? If so, for whom?

I reckon a lot of people would probably better off earning less & working closer to home - but very few seem to think in those terms.

My commute is about 4.5 hours/day. Yes I could work more locally but the tradeoff would be less money (40k or so less most likely) and stagnation of my skills (which is a big issue in the IT industry). Yes is it a massive chunk out of my day but the morning is dead time anyway, I would just get up later.

Commuting 3+ hours costs a lot of money, nevermind just the wasted time.

Husband of my partner's friend does a 3h commute.

His wife is totally not bothered by it 'as he gets to sit and look out of the window;

Amazing how easy stuff is when other people have to do it.

My commute by public transport is 30 - 40 mins and I don't mind saying that wouldn't commute any longer, even if it meant going on the dole/minimum wage. Not least when there's 100s of 1000s of people choosing not to work and happy living on benefits occupying council/social housing in London.

Now, that's knocking the indigeounous workshy because unfortunately their jobs have been taken up by economic migrants and what's more the jobs in question wouldn't be able to live on any way.

It's one massive f@&k up! The result of 20 years of government lack of foresight and mismanagement.

Crumbs. I left a job because it was 45 mins e/w by car (in light traffic - get up early!)

Current job is 20 mins by bike (if I go the scenic route).

I feel v sorry for those who are forced to do insane commutes. And wonder why? Conscious trade off of time for money? Another example of employers outsourcing cost to employees (relocate office to cheap remote location and workers get to bear cost of mega-commute)?

My dream is to live 12mins walk from work and 5mins walk from the pub.

My work is 15 mins away and the boozer is 30 seconds away.

Fantastic.

I class commuting to work as "working time" too. It's time you're not free to do something else. It's work. If you work out your hourly wage, say £30ph for a 40 hour week, then add on the commuting time (3 hours per day) and it's now a 55 hour week. You're now on £22ph. Add into that the cash spent on public transport or maintaining a car, the clothes you might need for your job, decompression time from the stress of it all and higher rate tax.. I "joke" with work people that think they are on reasonable salaries that they're nearer McDonalds wages after costs and hours worked.

Anyway, by no accident, my job is a 35 minute cycle ride each way (the scenic route). Also fantastic.

Edited by Starla

I really appreciate my 25 min easy drive commute, especially with a young child. London commute would be at least 1 hour 30 mins. It would have to be a good 50k payrise to even consider it, and even then I'm not sure.

the EU have already done that.

they have legislated that commuting time constitutes part of the working week!

given most people's trawl into work these days, that looks like a 50% work haircut to me.

either that ,or some serious overtime at 1.5*

i guess,technically, as the working week should be no more than 48 hours, it's probably mostly the former(with 10 hours per week at overtime rate)

so much for shameron's living wage.

this is 50% mark up or we take you to court, legally..and YOU LOSE.

Edited by oracle

the EU have already done that.

they have legislated that commuting time constitutes part of the working week!

given most people's trawl into work these days, that looks like a 50% work haircut to me.

either that ,or some serious overtime at 1.5*

i guess,technically, as the working week should be no more than 48 hours, it's probably mostly the former(with 10 hours per week at overtime rate)

If the working time directive is a maximum 48 hour week, can I move a long way away from my job, spend 8 hours commuting each day (sitting on a train reading an interesting book) and spend 1.5 hours in the office. Please.

Anyway, by no accident, my job is a 35 minute cycle ride each way (the scenic route). Also fantastic.

"by no accident" is key. We're where we are by careful planning as well - loadsa jobs within cycling distance or, in Mrs JTB's case, a bus ride. And we're still rural-ish.

I class commuting to work as "working time" too. It's time you're not free to do something else. It's work. If you work out your hourly wage, say £30ph for a 40 hour week, then add on the commuting time (3 hours per day) and it's now a 55 hour week. You're now on £22ph. Add into that the cash spent on public transport or maintaining a car, the clothes you might need for your job, decompression time from the stress of it all

...and don't forget to factor in that those costs come out of your NET wages, ie if your commuting costs are £2000/year then that's c.£3000/year of your gross just to stand still.

My commute is about 4.5 hours/day. Yes I could work more locally but the tradeoff would be less money (40k or so less most likely) and stagnation of my skills (which is a big issue in the IT industry). Yes is it a massive chunk out of my day but the morning is dead time anyway, I would just get up later.

40k? Before or after tax?

A lot of it is surely planning policy. Back in late 80s it was about 20 minutes drive from ely to cambridge during 'rush hour', (according to my dad...i was a child then). Same journey now would typically be an hour or hour and a half, crawling most the way. In that time, the population of ely and everywhere else on the A10 has doubled, Cambridge itself, until very recently, hasnt seen any population growth (except for students) due to rigidly enforced green belt.

I class commuting to work as "working time" too. It's time you're not free to do something else. It's work. If you work out your hourly wage, say £30ph for a 40 hour week, then add on the commuting time (3 hours per day) and it's now a 55 hour week. You're now on £22ph. Add into that the cash spent on public transport or maintaining a car, the clothes you might need for your job, decompression time from the stress of it all and higher rate tax.. I "joke" with work people that think they are on reasonable salaries that they're nearer McDonalds wages after costs and hours worked.

You are almost exactly my twin, right down to the Macca's comment.

I (sadly/superbly) went as far as a spreadsheet detailing all possible working expenses (lunch, clothes, car maintenance) etc, and have streamlined now to showering and breakfast at work as it saves commute time (leaving later means worse traffic) /cleaning vs doing it at home.

With me maximising my pension contribs, and working three days only my overall hourly rate is almost certainly the best in the office, despite people nominally earning 2.5x my (full time equiv) salary.

Their work 'costs' (fancy car for status etc) and excessive hours (plus having to go to conferences, meetings abroad) knock them below me sharpish!

Edited by Frugal Git

You are almost exactly my twin, right down to the Macca's comment.

I (sadly/superbly) went as far as a spreadsheet detailing all possible working expenses (lunch, clothes, car maintenance) etc, and have streamlined now to showering and breakfast at work as it saves commute time (leaving later means worse traffic) /cleaning vs doing it at home.

With me maximising my pension contribs, and working three days only my overall hourly rate is almost certainly the best in the office, despite people nominally earning 2.5x my (full time equiv) salary.

Their work 'costs' (fancy car for status etc) and excessive hours (plus having to go to conferences, meetings abroad) knock them below me sharpish!

I bet you're a right hoot at the office party !!

:)

That's the kind of commute I've most enjoyed of those I've done. A commute that isn't a chore, but rather makes the time taken into a pleasure.

Only once in my life have I commuted further than I could cycle for and significant time. Then I made a virtue of using my time on the train to learn my lines for various shows I was performing in.

I had a nightmare commute to school in my teens. It left me firmly committed to never again.

That's the kind of commute I've most enjoyed of those I've done. A commute that isn't a chore, but rather makes the time taken into a pleasure.

Only once in my life have I commuted further than I could cycle for and significant time. Then I made a virtue of using my time on the train to learn my lines for various shows I was performing in.

I had a nightmare commute to school in my teens. It left me firmly committed to never again.

Ahh the school bus...when pupils on the top deck gobbed or spat out their chewing gum at other kids getting off. Thankfully, my stop was first in the morning and last in the afternoon...