House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest_lauralondon_*

430 Euros For A Smallish Scratch On A Hire Car

Hit a bollard, while reversing, did make a scratch bigger than just wax to get rid of it (2 inches).

The final amount with stupid admin fees is 430 euros! Seems crazy high to me, I'm sure someone could get rid of it for 100 quid if it mattered, not that it does ona 6 year old car that has been battered and bruised, although mine was the worst damage so far. Not so long ago someone reversed into my car, couldn't open the door it was so damaged and they get it fixed for just shy off 200, that was proper damage not some scuff.

They won't obviously get rid of this scratch, seems like it should be illegal to charge for work to be done but not do it. When they put it in to auction all of these minor things could be fixed in a day, and cost way less then the probabably 5 figures they've charged people for the damage over the years

Hit a bollard, while reversing, did make a scratch bigger than just wax to get rid of it (2 inches).

The final amount with stupid admin fees is 430 euros! Seems crazy high to me, I'm sure someone could get rid of it for 100 quid if it mattered, not that it does ona 6 year old car that has been battered and bruised, although mine was the worst damage so far. Not so long ago someone reversed into my car, couldn't open the door it was so damaged and they get it fixed for just shy off 200, that was proper damage not some scuff.

They won't obviously get rid of this scratch, seems like it should be illegal to charge for work to be done but not do it. When they put it in to auction all of these minor things could be fixed in a day, and cost way less then the probabably 5 figures they've charged people for the damage over the years

They have to show you a receipt for the work done with costs matching what they are asking for (they can add a little something for their admin work), otherwise you don't have to pay anything.

Ask for the receipt and if you don't get one dispute the charge with your credit card company.

******ing hell - for a former 'city' worker you are naive as ******.

Just deny all knowledge and if pushed say someone must have damaged it whilst it was parked.

They have 0% chance of 'proving' otherwise.

And yes - I am talking from experience :)

They have to show you a receipt for the work done with costs matching what they are asking for (they can add a little something for their admin work), otherwise you don't have to pay anything.

Ask for the receipt and if you don't get one dispute the charge with your credit card company.

No they don't.

******ing hell - for a former 'city' worker you are naive as ******.

Just deny all knowledge and if pushed say someone must have damaged it whilst it was parked.

They have 0% chance of 'proving' otherwise.

And yes - I am talking from experience :)

Don't believe it. The car is your responsibility. You're contractually obliged to pay for damage. At my last count I've damaged 7 hire cars and got away with 2, more by luck than judgement.

430 Euros for a scratch is about right. Same as I got for a scuffed alloy and damaged tyre.

Never used a hire car in my life.

So am just mischievously curious here......

Given that, if I understand it correctly, the gist of the this thread is that the charges being applied are a 'rip off'? Then......

Hypothetically......what is the penalty for not returning the car at all and just declaring it stolen? (obviously disposing of it in some manner such that, if subsequently found, it really will be declared a write off - e.g dump it somewhere and torch it)

Never used a hire car in my life.

So am just curious here.

Given that, if I understand it correctly, the gist of the this thread is that the charges being applied are a 'rip off'? Then......

Hypothetically......what is the penalty for not returning the car at all and just declaring it stolen? (obviously disposing of it in some manner such that, if subsequently found, it really will be declared a write off - e.g dump it somewhere and torch it)

You're liable for the full value + lost rental. Make sure you're fully covered, it's worth the few extra quid.

Alternatively, don't ever privately hire a car.

My sister managed to scratch the rear quarterpanel on a hire car quite badly, she brought it round and i dug out some T-cut i had under the sink, i spent quite a while rubbing the scratch out (think T-cut sort of fills a scratch temporarily)

I got it down to a very faint line and when she took it back they didn't notice!

I got away with one in the Languedoc. Chipped windscreen that they didn't call us up on (no idea if it was there when we left the hire yard. Also had an incident with the same car where we met a flock of sheep on the road, culminating in a couple jumping on the bonnet. Luckily they caused no damage.

You're liable for the full value + lost rental. Make sure you're fully covered, it's worth the few extra quid.

Alternatively, don't ever privately hire a car.

Really!!!?? I assumed that when hiring a car you also pay for some insurance for the duration of the hire and that its presumably a fully comprehensive cover (as I am guessing the hire company would insist on). Obviously there would be an 'excess' the customer would have to cover, but......surely they wouldn't be liable for the whole car??!!!

My question, in effect, was to query just what that excess would typically be? It seemed to me that 400+ Euros is more than many would pay for the excess on their own personal car insurance?

Your just liable for the excess, mine was 800 Euros.

Sadly couldn't bodge it, was on a island (Santa marina) and couldn't find any hardfords type shops.

Use bathroom cleaner like JIF, it is much the same thing. Even Ajax in a push but be gentle.

Automatic transmission fluid can conceal lighter surface scratches

Brilliant!

That's what I love about these HPC forums. Good all round reading from diverse range of contributors - topped off every now and then with outstandingly useful gems like this!

If you hire more than a couple of times a year www.insurance4carhire.com is a much cheaper alternative to the hire car companies rip off excess insurance.

I also have a feeling that if you take their excess insurance out they 'overlook' any little scratches to avoid claiming on their policy - and wait for the next mug who didn't take excess insurance and sting them for it. No proof but always a nagging doubt.

How thorough are they on checking the car over before handing it out to someone else? I've had to go back and point out un-marked scratches and bumps a couple of times. The only time I've had any damage when driving was a very obviously cracked windscreen so I had to put up with paying for that one (well, work had to pay for it).

Really!!!?? I assumed that when hiring a car you also pay for some insurance for the duration of the hire and that its presumably a fully comprehensive cover (as I am guessing the hire company would insist on). Obviously there would be an 'excess' the customer would have to cover, but......surely they wouldn't be liable for the whole car??!!!

My question, in effect, was to query just what that excess would typically be? It seemed to me that 400+ Euros is more than many would pay for the excess on their own personal car insurance?

There's an interesting technicality at play that most don't realise - hire companies can not offer insurance (hence why it's called a damage waiver). So any fee for damage is not technically an insurance excess. If you do not opt to pay the fee to waive the full cost of the damage (and only pay the non-waivable part, which is what is referred to commonly as 'excess') then you're liable for the full deductible. Which is eye watering.

I'm not sure hire companies have comprehensive insurance, I guess it would be prohibitive. At a guess they are just insured 3rd party (minimum legal) and pay for damage themselves out of all the CDW fees they collect. Which is why the non waivable part of the CDW is so high.

There's an interesting technicality at play that most don't realise - hire companies can not offer insurance (hence why it's called a damage waiver). So any fee for damage is not technically an insurance excess. If you do not opt to pay the fee to waive the full cost of the damage (and only pay the non-waivable part, which is what is referred to commonly as 'excess') then you're liable for the full deductible. Which is eye watering.

I'm not sure hire companies have comprehensive insurance, I guess it would be prohibitive. At a guess they are just insured 3rd party (minimum legal) and pay for damage themselves out of all the CDW fees they collect. Which is why the non waivable part of the CDW is so high.

So they are basically self insuring (like the post office used to, and maybe still do, for their fleet of vehicles).

Potentially one as large as Hertz doesn't even need third party insurance if they go this route? IIRC If you can prove you have enough money to settle any claim you do not need third party insurance.

ha I was never really a city worker. Well obviously I did try that but fact is they have pre authorised the full amount on the card, they've taken it all and its a fight just to get the difference back.

I have excess insurance, although I'm not holding my breath that they will pay up. I didn't sign anything to accept the damage so also raised a dispute with the credit card.

Probabably be OK in the end, just more admin and chasing that I have little patience for.

I am of the opinion many of these things are made as onerous as possible just to get people to give up.

Next time hire a car with parking sensors.

Aha !! Now that makes sense if you use them already. However for me - as per my aforementioned car hire scratch issue - these actually made things worse !!

I dont have them on my own car - and have never used them before. So when reversing this hire car in Iceland - I suddenly heard this 'beep beep' that I didnt have a clue about - distracted me for a second - and before I realised what it was - boof !!!

Lesson learned.

Don't believe it. The car is your responsibility. You're contractually obliged to pay for damage. At my last count I've damaged 7 hire cars and got away with 2, more by luck than judgement.

430 Euros for a scratch is about right. Same as I got for a scuffed alloy and damaged tyre.

I must have just got lucky then.

Was this a big car rental company or one of the smaller ones ?

I remember being in the States with my boss once and he drove the car into something. We had taken out the full insurance package and when we took it back he just handed over the keys, said there was a dent in it, the attendent took them, said ok and nothing more was done.

Did you have the insurance package and who was the car with ?

Was this a big car rental company or one of the smaller ones ?

I remember being in the States with my boss once and he drove the car into something. We had taken out the full insurance package and when we took it back he just handed over the keys, said there was a dent in it, the attendent took them, said ok and nothing more was done.

Did you have the insurance package and who was the car with ?

Er, was it black? :unsure:

For future reference and to maybe negotiate with the hire company then get a quote for any scratch repair - or maybe repair it in advance of inspection if you think you're going to be ripped off by the hire company.

Try the scratch that cost E430 and see if the price compares?