House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

First Butter...... Now Lard.

I tread the way of Lard and Butter. Only through the enjoyment of these fatty food substances, can you find the Wisdom of Pin! :huh:

I tread the way of Lard and Butter. Only through the enjoyment of these fatty food substances, can you find the Wisdom of Pin! :huh:

But can you find a new description of a fat person to replace 'lardy'? 'Oily' or 'margariney', perhaps?

I stopped using olive oil to fry about 6 months ago after reading that olive oil was bad for cooking... this was after years of using olive after having been told that sunflower oil was bad for me... Now I am being told to go back to olive oil from sunflower oil again.

Yes, bacon fried in lard.....you just can`t beat it!

Keeps you warm...

And chips.

I feel sorry for those who follow all the health recommendations and have denied themselves butter and lard for years, only to find they would have been better off following their taste buds.

But can you find a new description of a fat person to replace 'lardy'? 'Oily' or 'margariney', perhaps?

I have a belief that "fat people" don't eat this stuff! :wacko:

I stopped using olive oil to fry about 6 months ago after reading that olive oil was bad for cooking... this was after years of using olive after having been told that sunflower oil was bad for me... Now I am being told to go back to olive oil from sunflower oil again.

I think olive oil probably is good for you (the mediterranean diet certainly doesn't seem to be a bad option if your life goal is maximum longevity).

I think it is only bad if you are frying with it. And that's probably only because it has a low smoke point so you are more likely to create carcinogens during the cooking process.

It's always been known. I've been waiting years for this to appear in the press :lol::lol:

Personally, I've always avoided heating sunflower and corn oil because of the aldehydes created.

Yeah this is nothing new, I've been using coconut oil for frying for many years now.

Scientists found that heating up vegetable oils led to the release of high concentrations of chemicals called aldehydes, which have been linked to illnesses including cancer, heart disease and dementia.
In contrast, heating up butter, olive oil and lard in tests produced much lower levels of aldehydes. Coconut oil produced the lowest levels of the harmful chemicals.

Olive oil is best used raw as a condiment just like Italians use it, not heated.

Yeah this is nothing new, I've been using coconut oil for frying for many years now.

Olive oil is best used raw as a condiment just like Italians use it, not heated.

Me too, coconut oil for cooking, olive oil for dressings and salty butter on everything.

I think the problem with olive is that it has a very low smoke point, i.e. it burns at a low temperature and that can have carcinogenous results as well.

Think I'll give lard a go, if only because of this:

i_lard.jpg

- Oleaginous. Adipose. Blubbery. Unctuous.

And I didn't even have to consult a Thesaurus for those. :P