House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

How Xbox Kinect Can Transform Breasts - Literally

http://www.independent.co.uk/student/shu/how-xbox-kinect-can-transform-breasts-literally-a6721051.html

There are some encouraging statistics from the frontline of the battle against breast cancer. The disease now has an 80 per cent survival rate after five years of diagnosis, up from 50 per cent in the 1970s. Following treatment, many women consider reconstructive surgery, which is not without its issues – but research at universities is helping to tackle some of the challenges it throws up.

At Sheffield Hallam university’s Centre for Sports Engineering Research, doctors Jon Wheat, Simon Choppin and consultant surgeon Amit Goyal have developed a technique for assessing which implants to use for breast reconstruction following the removal of a tumour.

Currently surgeons use their own visual judgement, which can be imprecise. However, the Sheffield Hallam team have used an unlikely source – the Xbox Kinect – to develop an alternative. The system’s depth camera allows for much more accurate 3D imaging of the breast, helping surgeons choose the right implant and potentially leading to faster, more effective treatment for patients.

It’s the kind of work that universities are uniquely placed to do, explains Wheat. “We can combine expertise in biomechanics, human body measurement, sensors, computer vision and software development to produce affordable and accessible systems like this. Our strong links with clinicians and patients allow us to develop this technology so it can easily be put into practice.”

So no need for expensive equipment then?

Knockers! Knockers! Knockers! :blink::o:lol: Fantastic!

Au contraire...someone will manage to find out a way to screw the taxpayer over...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29459896

I seem to recall some spiv managing to sell £1000 thermal imaging cameras to one police authority for £20k too.

Its a business Idea im giving to you for free. Buy up Xbox's. Remove labels, replace with 'super dooper breast reconstruction imager' sell on to public sector, 10 grand a piece.

Sad thing is, that will probably happen somewhere, too.

Medical kit tends to cost a lot of money because of the regulatory regime around manufacturing it. If Microsoft sell a faulty Kinect, no big deal, if Philips sells a faulty infusion pump, someone could end up dead. Having said that, I'm not sure that the level of quality is much different between the two, I doubt that's a comparison that's been done since statistically significant evidence often appears to be the last thing that regulators are interested in.

To add to my last post on the point of evidence. I had a conversation with a bank compliance person recently that went like this:

me: why do we have email disclaimers since our email readers all hide them anyway?

compliance droid: to protect us against being sued.

me: great, show me a single, and I mean single, example of an email disclaimer having been used successfully in court to defend a case anywhere in the world.

compliance droid: <the sound of tumbleweed blowing across a road>

This thread is showing me ads for Asian dating with nice knockers. I blame the OP

I thought you were more intellectual than than that! :blink:

I'm obviously a man of charm! A lady one night asked me why I exist here today! I told her " I wanted to meet the Angel behind the green eyes! She told me every other bloke wanted to squeeze her knockers! She was a funny lady, and I did get a squeeze! :wacko: