House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lid

When Men Were Men

Fantastic. "Boy's Own Comic" stuff!

Come on blokes! Try being a man. :blink:;)

Not sure I'm that brave though! :wacko:

A father’s grief

A letter published in the Liverpool Echo six days after the funeral revealed that the family was unable to pay for a memorial:

Mr. Patrick Burns, father of the late champion diver, writes from 113, Farnworth-street, Liverpool:-“My only son was a Lancashire lad, and, thank God, he shared my pride in being a Liverpudlian. I have been seriously ill in the past twelve months with dropsy and heart troubles. I have not earned one penny for months. God Bless those who have so nobly come forward.
“Amidst all my griefs the most poignant is that the medals and crosses honourably won by him, some for saving life, are held by strangers as security. It is no unkind thing to say that professionals, though ever ready to help each other, are by no means prudent. Year in and year out I gave freely to my poor boy out of the little wages I earned, but during the last year I was not able to help him. The consequence is that my little heirlooms are lost.
“I feel well assured that the public, who so kindly patronised him in life, will do their best to enable me to obtain the medals, pay several liabilities, and raise a stone over his resting place.”

Compared with the 2015 equivalent

"Me son's died, I want the compo, innit"

Fantastic. "Boy's Own Comic" stuff!

Come on blokes! Try being a man. :blink:;)

Not sure I'm that brave though! :wacko:

I leave all this swimming and athletic stuff to the women these days...Louise Minchin, triathlete, BBC Breakfast anchor woman, no doubt Strictly Come Dancing Champion 2016, whilst raising a family, doing the BBC anchor job and throwing in the odd triathlon.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ByDnXlsCAAAoV31.jpg:large

I leave all this swimming and athletic stuff to the women these days...Louise Minchin, triathlete, BBC Breakfast anchor woman, no doubt Strictly Come Dancing Champion 2016, whilst raising a family, doing the BBC anchor job and throwing in the odd triathlon.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ByDnXlsCAAAoV31.jpg:large

Two hours a day mouthing platitudes and reading from an auto-cue. No wonder she's got plenty of energy left.

My biker mate thought I was "really hard" to go on a helicopter to a drilling platform. I only went there to change out the computers.

It's IT support, not a war zone. And the women who went there got the best accomodation. We all had to wear special orange pyjamas and a hard hat though!

Not so much, when men were men, more that that's just how society used to be.

Fortunately we've improved it a lot since then.. we're not Neanderthals any more.

Not so much, when men were men, more that that's just how society used to be.

Fortunately we've improved it a lot since then.. we're not Neanderthals any more.

I never evolved enough!

My biker mate thought I was "really hard" to go on a helicopter to a drilling platform. I only went there to change out the computers.

It's IT support, not a war zone. And the women who went there got the best accomodation. We all had to wear special orange pyjamas and a hard hat though!

You sure you weren't in a high security US penitentiary ?

You sure you weren't in a high security US penitentiary ?

I have a funny story about that. The orange pyjamas do look like crim suits! A colleague was pulled over in his work clothes, at gunpoint in Texas, because they thought he was an escaped convict. The US colleagues had blue outfits, but it's orange for the North Sea.

And a go in the dunker!

Do I pass?.....no heating on yet.

You're not married, I guess.

I did that with the royal marines when i was 15. Thought I was going to die.

Aye, I got dunked. The lady sitting next to me found it all fun, so that calmed me down a bit.

He was yodelling like Tarzan, and then someone told him to put a sock in it.

You took my line. Though after my drunken ramblings the other night, it's probably just as well.

Coming back to the OP for a moment, how about the people in wetsuit type things diving off the top of mountains, some of the more daring and genuinely somewhat dangerous things that Derren Brown has done (not those involving simple trickery), and that guy from America whose name escapes me who suspended himself in a glass box in Central London and has done other show-tastic things?