House Price Crash Forum
olde guto

Victoria Coren On Qt - Workers Should Just Leave London

Happened to just catch this last night whilst channel hopping and so far only the Huffington Post seems to be covering the story, but then again it seems to be one of the few media orgs that takes the housing problem seriously (not too many boomer readers I guess).

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/11/05/question-time-victoria-coren-mitchell-housing-london_n_8484454.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

In response to a Londoner who couldn't afford to buy a home:

The idea that any young person, unless they are the child of a Russian oligarch, can live in London any more is preposterous.

In Tottenham, one of the poorest places in central Europe, a one-bedroom flat can cost you £400,000. It's a stupid amount of money.

Of course they could build more houses. How many council houses were built in London in the last year? Probably about 40.

You will see it's easy for me to say because I'm not a politician. But I'm not, and it is, so I will,

I think what has to happen is all of the young people, all of the workforce, just have to leave London. Work somewhere else.

The Government has to find something to offer people outside of London, to regenerate other parts of the country, and they'll leave.

All of these super-wealthy people with their iceberg houses with no nurses, no policemen, no firemen and no-one to clean the house, no-one to deliver the mail to houses."

I think there is more than a grain of truth there

I remember talking a while ago to someone who used to work for a company based in one of the "New Towns" expanded/built after the war who told me that after about the late 90's it became a struggle to recruit graduates as so many would rather go to places like London or Manchester or Bristol. They went on to say if they were making the location decision today as opposed to in the 60/70s they'd probably locate themselves in London. Other than the recruitment problem the company apparently has no real issue with its current location.

I wouldn't worry, only a matter of time before London business will find they can no longer afford to pay the London workers the high price of London home prices.....London would have priced out all the internal talent and will rely ever more on external money and torisum.

A girl on the radio said what I was thinking, the only homes being built in the city are for the monied.....in the area around London where she lives many pubs, clubs, social and sports facilities have gone and more expensive flats now in there place......the road where she lives she looks through the front windows that are no longer sitting rooms, have turned into bedrooms.....a breakdown of community life that once was, a place turning fairly rapidly into as completely different and not so endearing, comfortable place.....big changes.

I have come to the same conclusion and my gf and I plan to move out of London. I've come to hate this city.

To where though?

Thinking Bristol perhaps although I quite like Yorkshire. Needs to be commutable to a large city.

Understandable but not terribly practical seeing as people go where they can get jobs. And the idea of a population exodus from London spreading into the rest of the country is pretty unpleasant. Perhaps if enough did it to threaten London with collapse and drive the rich foreigners out?

There is something very wrong with a country where people who work in a city have to leave it, but people who live there on benefits don't. I know lots of home suitable for young people working in London but others got them

I left london 30 years ago, exactly because I couldn't afford to live there.

At least today's young person isn't paying so much tax to price themselves out of housing. At least not until they earn £80k, which even now gets them something adequate in the open market.

It is not just young people. London is now in a situation where doctors, well paid IT workers, senior business people, even some bankers, etc, cannot afford to live in London.

The meeja lot seem to be able to afford it though.

The fact is as people leave London others move in who are willing to tolerate the poor conditions.

As things stand at the mo it's mostly foreigners whose expectations are lower that fill the lower jobs. Without immigration London would have collapsed years ago.

Understandable but not terribly practical seeing as people go where they can get jobs. And the idea of a population exodus from London spreading into the rest of the country is pretty unpleasant. Perhaps if enough did it to threaten London with collapse and drive the rich foreigners out?

Then the jobs need to pay enough to make living near their labour worthwhile. On that basis I'm guessing the average London wage should be £100k pa...

Sooner or later even companies will have to accept that London is no longer physically or financially viable. Only a hpc reset could possibly stop this but ironically tptb have determined that the opposite is true.

Edited by PopGun

People who work left London a long time ago.

The place is a benefit town with some rich bits.

What makes its even worse is that most of the pople on benefit are not even native born FFS!

London make's Middlesbrough look enterprising.

I know Victoria has her knockers ..... they're why I watch only connect.

Victoria Coren is married to David Mitchell!

480602038-victoria-coren-mitchell-and-da

him, without the beard

700-mitchell.jpg

Nope can't see him.

Is he hiding behind her chest?

Edited by spyguy

Young people arent stupid.

For the most part they dont want to live in London. If they want to live near money they go to Dubai. Better weather, no crime, superb facilities.

London isnt even in England any more. Everyone who can leave, should.

Young people aside, I honestly don't know why anyone (not young) want's to live in London, in particular those with money that don't need to work. I just don't see what the appeal is when you could go anywhere else in the country or the world and have some space, scenery, serenity, air quality etc, etc. The place does absolutely nothing for me apart from making me want to do a sharp exit to the countryside.

Young people arent stupid.

For the most part they dont want to live in London. If they want to live near money they go to Dubai. Better weather, no crime, superb facilities.

London isnt even in England any more. Everyone who can leave, should.

Disagree.

My experience of 'the young' over the last 20 odd years is the opposite.

They know London has high paying jobs, so they want to go to London and get a high paying job.

However, the reality of London hits them and hey end up working in a job that pays them about ~5k more than they would gt outside of London but incur about 8k more of living expenses. And by living I mean double bunking in a crap, dank sh1thole in Hackney or miles/1 hour out.

The problem is London pay is addictive.

I know people who worked as business analysts and project managers in jobs in Cambridge who were paid in the region of £30k-40k. Further north they would probably have got £25k-35k.

They now do similar jobs in London for £60k-70k and have got it into their heads that this is what they are worth.

Whilst what she said was pretty much bang on, Hitchens stole the show. (42 minutes.)

But its a good watch from 29 minutes.

Greening gets laughed at by the young too, as well as the vile Chuka getting it in the neck.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06np79d/question-time-05112015

Hitchens was good until the question on policing. He suddenly turned into Victorian Dad, talking about Peelers!

I should also repeat that there has been a net migration out of London to the rest of the country for at least 25 years of all decile age groups except the immediate post graduate decade. See ONS.

They address this emigration from London by topping up from overseas. People who know no better and who will work for slave wages....for a while.

Hence why British business is forever lamenting the 'skill shortage' and asking for more and more immigration. Basically it's a mass misselling operation whereby you attract people on wages that cannot provide a good quality of life due to high costs.

But it is a system that they've managed to keep going for virtually my entire life.

EDIT: This is a table for the latest year's data which is fairly typical:

This idea that the rest of the country has been beating a path to London's riches is possibly one of the biggest media and political lies accepted by the population.

29zc6xy.jpg

Great post