House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carrying Smart Phone Whilst Cycling

I'm building up to getting my cycling going again (I'll reply to the thread I started a while back about lost motivation very soon)...

One blocker is being unable to find a satisfactory way of carrying my 5.5" smart phone... when I last cycled I had a £9 nokia granny phone!

The phone already has a nice silicone case and screen protector for day to day use.

Options...

1. Back of jersey pocket - nope, gets sweaty/rained on, plus annoying to have that weight in there

2. Mounted on bike stem - nope, gets rained on, plus no space

3. In saddlebag - possibly, but at present gets bashed around against tools etc

Option 3 is the starting point as the saddle bag is waterproof. However when cycling the phone/case bash against tools and get damaged/grubby.

I don't want an otterbox etc as that means changing the case every time I ride, and the phone/case would still bash/rub against tools and get grubby very quickly.

This looks ideal but too big ....

https://www.caselogic.com/en/gb/devices/other-tablets/up-to-7-inch/protective-7-tablet-case-_-qts_-_207_-_gray

Or this .... but a bit big....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rheme-Navigation-2699LMT-D-including-Universal/dp/B00TZ2ML06/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1446788711&sr=8-8&keywords=6+hard+case

I tend to keep mine permanently in a tough case (like Griffin) and stuff in a Camelbak like pack, stick it in the pocket of my waterproof (before rolling it up) or tuck it part way into my trousers just behind the hip (lycra running shorts/tights tend to keep it in place without impeding movement).

A waterproof pouch might suit your situation as might some of the phone bags which mount on stems (I think they are waterproof too).

http://www.amazon.com/JOTO-Universal-Waterproof-Snowproof-BlackBerry/dp/B00LBK7OSY/ref=zg_bs_9375358011_2

I have a little wallet/bag for my 5.5 smartphone made out of bubble-wrap. It sits in its own gel case with screen protector but I stick it into the bubble-wrap when I go cycling and place it in my ruck-sack.

If it is wet weather then I use my rain hi-vis jacket which I got from mountain warehouse which has a big arm pocket. Although I try not to do this just in case I fall off or if the weather is too cold. Last winter a cold day bike ride killed the battery in my last phone.

The bubble-wrap is a good feature for if you fall off also. The problem is that answering calls takes too long but, heck, I can always call people back if it is important.

Look on a sailing site for a waterproof ziplock bag, That'll keep it dry and non grubby. If worried about it still being vulneable to being knocked add a sock!

Mine commonly goes in a pocket in my shorts, most of which have ample pockets including the knee end of the shorts[1].

For maximum comfort on longer journeys it can get relegated to a pannier, or even left at home.

[1] Bottom end? Hang on, the bottom is the top of the shorts :unsure:

You could just not take your phone.

I was going to say just that, but you beat me to it. Why spoil a cycle ride with an unwanted call about PPI claims? :blink:

If people want to contact me, it's via a fake obituary in the Times.

I use a waist bag. Inno8 i think. Has frontish hip pickets so i can reach my 5.5 inch phone easily. This bag also has a horizontal camelback type waterbag thingy which is quite cool. Means i dont need to bring a whole back pack. Btw read a horror story of someone carrying pump and stuff in the jersey back pocket and had a fall. The pump dented his spine during the fall. Think about where and how you store stuff when biking.

Edit: Innov8 or inov8 even

You could just not take your phone.

And then how do you ring someone to come and collect you when you get tired?

Or is it not that sort of cycling?

Some people need to be contactable. I'm not that important so my phone stays in a drawer when I go for a walk.

Anyone who feels that they need to be contactable whenever, wherever, needs to sort their life out, they've missed the point of it. There are a few exceptions, but not many (and even those should be under strictly limited times).

And then how do you ring someone to come and collect you when you get tired?

Or is it not that sort of cycling?

Cycle up a hill until you get tired then freewheel back home. Needs a handy hill nearby of course so not suitable for everyone (such as people who live on top of hills).

Some people need to be contactable. I'm not that important so my phone stays in a drawer when I go for a walk.

I'd go so far as to say this is important. You're off cycling, not taking phone calls.

If you feel that you'd like the security of having a phone on you, take a cheap/old phone with a payg sim in it. If you want to do gps tracking, etc, then use a cheap/old android phone.

I tend to keep mine permanently in a tough case (like Griffin) and stuff in a Camelbak like pack, stick it in the pocket of my waterproof (before rolling it up) or tuck it part way into my trousers just behind the hip (lycra running shorts/tights tend to keep it in place without impeding movement).

A waterproof pouch might suit your situation as might some of the phone bags which mount on stems (I think they are waterproof too).

http://www.amazon.com/JOTO-Universal-Waterproof-Snowproof-BlackBerry/dp/B00LBK7OSY/ref=zg_bs_9375358011_2

how do you answer it when it rings?

Anyone who feels that they need to be contactable whenever, wherever, needs to sort their life out, they've missed the point of it. There are a few exceptions, but not many (and even those should be under strictly limited times).

Cycle up a hill until you get tired then freewheel back home. Needs a handy hill nearby of course so not suitable for everyone (such as people who live on top of hills).

I'd go so far as to say this is important. You're off cycling, not taking phone calls.

If you feel that you'd like the security of having a phone on you, take a cheap/old phone with a payg sim in it. If you want to do gps tracking, etc, then use a cheap/old android phone.

Errr.... I wasn't being (overly) sarcy. Some people, like the self-employed IT / accounts consultants can go for a bike ride on a beautiful weekday afternoon but need to take their phone as their fee-paying customers are at work and can legitimately expect to be able to speak to them.

When I work from home my works mobile is on my desk and this is the number that I always give out rather than my desk phone. That way I am as contactable by people outside of the office as when I'm physcially there. When I stop working I turn it off.

I have used sandwich bags for this sort of thing for years. Similar for putting passport in when backpacking and all that nonsense.

Works fine. Incredibly cheap. HPC tastic.

Ah Mr CCC. I'll bet you turn off your phone when cycling, as you can't really go that fast with so much muffy fanny in your face!

Good luck BTW. Mine's flagging, but I know that! :(

Errr.... I wasn't being (overly) sarcy. Some people, like the self-employed IT / accounts consultants can go for a bike ride on a beautiful weekday afternoon but need to take their phone as their fee-paying customers are at work and can legitimately expect to be able to speak to them.

Sorry(ish!), mobile phones and the obsession with being contactable / able to contact anyone else wherever and whenever you are is just one of those things I can't stand.

Options:

- get a cheap brick phone just for cycling

- buy a fancy waterproof phone and a bar mount (can be used for navigation as well)

I'm assuming it's fancy lycra-cycling you're talking about. I ride a touring bike and it's got panniers and pockets all over the place.

It struck me the other day how I've become phone-dependant. For a long time I was a mobile refusenik but now I'd feel very exposed not having it with me on rides. I'm going to try and acclimatise myself to being phone free again.

Indeedie.

Some other reasons include:

- you want a phone with you when you reach your destination.

- you want a map with you, and it's less hassle than gathering together all the paper ones you'd need to cover your route.