House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Man Told By Doctors He Has 30 Minutes To Live After Tapeworm Found In His Brain

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/brain-surgery-saves-man-after-a-live-tapeworm-was-found-inside-his-brain-a6721976.html

A man was told he had only 30 minutes to live by doctors, after a tapeworm was found in his brain.

Luis Ortiz, from California had life-saving emergency surgery to remove the live tapeworm inside his head.

Mr Ortiz was taken to Queen of the Valley Medical Centre after suffering with the "worst headache" of his life. A brain scan revealed a live tapeworm was living inside his brain causing the pain.

No time for a bucket list with that diagnosis.

Just the one thing on

1. Get worm out of head

I saw an episode of Stargate where they had a similar thing happen to one of the team whilst out in the field. They had to use a drill to open the skull and then the parasite jumped out. They zapped it with a phaser.

I saw an episode of Stargate where they had a similar thing happen to one of the team whilst out in the field. They had to use a drill to open the skull and then the parasite jumped out. They zapped it with a phaser.

A phaser? Surely not. I'm gonna go with a zat.

I wanted to say zat but it was not a zat either. It was Stargate: Atlantis and it was shot by Ronan and his crazy laser gun.

Oh, OK. The internet tells me that that's a particle magnum. Not a very snappy name.

How does a tape worm get into your brain?

Bad sense of direction I guess! They are supposed to live in your intestines so you can sh!t out the eggs! Why a lot of the hotter parts of the world doesn't eat pork! :blink:

The reporting seems a bit melodramatic.

Tapeworms in the brain are the commonest cause of epilepsy worldwide. We even seem to get them in the UK.

Then is it not straightforward to cure? I mean by chemical means, not neccessarily surgery.

Then is it not straightforward to cure? I mean by chemical means, not neccessarily surgery.

One of my mates had a tapeworm when a child. He had to take medicine to kill it and then poo it out! It doesn't sound nice. :unsure: