House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Speed Limit To Be Enforced On M1

In Telegraph (can't do linky thing) Bedfordshire police to permanently turn on speed cameras from April. £100 fine and three points (or £90 course for first time) for even 71mph.

The measure is explicitly to raise revenue for police force; tone of article is that it's not a sewn-on certainty but highly likely.

If it succeeds they'll all do it because of the horrendous funding cuts all police forces have suffered over the last two years.

Motorways are going to be very different places with people being too scared to overtake.

In Telegraph (can't do linky thing) Bedfordshire police to permanently turn on speed cameras from April. £100 fine and three points (or £90 course for first time) for even 71mph.

The measure is explicitly to raise revenue for police force; tone of article is that it's not a sewn-on certainty but highly likely.

If it succeeds they'll all do it because of the horrendous funding cuts all police forces have suffered over the last two years.

Motorways are going to be very different places with people being too scared to overtake.

Speed limits in the UK are a mess.

We've managed to build up some sort of 'you work it out' system, where motorways work at about 85ish even though the limit is 70. Now that is probably okay, but people then start applying that logic to everything else.

And it probably is important to drive at 30 in a 30mph - it seems slow but the research really does seem to show that that is the crossover into survivable speed for pedestrian impact with most vehicles. But the vast majority of people apply the 'motorway rule' and think that about 40 is the right speed.

Only because of that 'motorway rule' the speed limit people start second-guessing, and start putting 30s in where they actually want a 40, as that is the only way to get people to drive at 40. Or the Brighton thing, where they put in 20s as that is the only way to get people to drive at less than 27.

What we really need is the motorway speed limit to be raised to 80mph (ie, the normal 130kmph that everyone else seems to find ok) - only with current arrangements people would read that as 'now drive at 90mph'. But this might be a good way to start. We've just changed the speed limits for HGVs without any obvious carnage, so it would probably be possible to manage without any issues.

There are more problems that come from bad motorway management as well - like ignore road signage because motorway advisory signs are always full of nonsense.

Good. My favoured motorway speed is a heady 56 mph.

You will overtake me! :wacko:

Not sure if this news or not? For a 70 limit it would be a bit harsh to get fined for 71. Can't believe it. Plod don't get interested until you go over 80. :wacko:. You are lucky to be able to achieve the limit at all on parts of the M1.

This.

Also as we go driverless all these daft unenforced limits/laws need to be redefined.

i don't know why we don't have an automatic reduction of the speed limit in wet conditions, like they do in France. Would seem so sensible, but then 'sensible' never seems a good enough reason to do anything here.

And driving TOO CLOSE seems to me to cause as many accidents as anything. Not much use enforcing speed limits if so many people still insist on driving up the next person's ****. On the M3 some years ago I missed by a miraculous whisker a pile-up caused by people driving too fast and far too close in wet conditions, when the road was busy, with evening sun glare on top. Literally as I passed it, a car in the fast lane ploughed on top of the rear of, not just into, the car in front.

The other day I saw a sticker on somebody's back windscreen (we were stuck in crawling traffic on M25) saying, 'The closer you get, the slower I'll go.'

New one to me.

i don't know why we don't have an automatic reduction of the speed limit in wet conditions, like they do in France. Would seem so sensible, but then 'sensible' never seems a good enough reason to do anything here.

Perhaps not so sensible.

When I asked a Frenchman what the definition of raining is he said "when you have your wipers on", which probably explains the large number of cars on the auto routes cruising at 130 KPH in the rain with their wipers off.

"Sensible" wasn't the reason for that change in France - it was introduced following a horrific motorway pile-up (in heavy rain) in which 40-odd kids in a bus lost their lives.

The government immediately brought in a law to reduce the speed limit when raining - which yes, is a sensible rule.

However - later on the bus company got smacked by the courts, as the brakes on the bus were "seriously defective".

So the funny thing is, it's a sensible law, but it was the wrong reaction to that tragedy...

Link to Wikipedia (in French) about that crash: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accident_de_Beaune

Arbitrary limts are never sensible, at best they should only be used as a tool to make it easier to prosecute driving that's clearly dangerous. Blind, arbitrary enforcement of them is only ever something suggested by complete and utter cretins without two braincells to knock together.

The hopeless number of reductions in the last decade or so needs fixing too. 30 in towns, 60 out of towns, 70 on motorways a dual carriageways, with very few exceptions (and they should largely be higher, e.g. some main urban routes being 40 instead of 30), and "enforced" as above (the 30 in urban areas is probably the least arbitrary, what with the more complicated road layouts and noise).

Agreed.

20 in towns and villages.

70 on motorways.

30 everywhere else.

The brainchild of the PCC....

A labour politician who is using this to bash the Government with...

Driving consistantly at the same speed is incredible difficult with the gradient of the road altering. You also have to concentrate constantly on the speedometer reducing concentration on the road which means pileups are more likely. However this is about trying to generate revenue which will naturally have the opposite effect.

Surely people know when not to ar$e about on the road! Sadly not! -_-

I've always been a very careful driver, even when young! I have another friend just the same. Some people just are plonkers and continue throughout their life.

Driving consistantly at the same speed is incredible difficult with the gradient of the road altering. You also have to concentrate constantly on the speedometer reducing concentration on the road which means pileups are more likely. However this is about trying to generate revenue which will naturally have the opposite effect.

Cruise control is nice for motorway driving, as long as it isn't too busy to use it. The necessarily constantly changing speed when it is busy is when you're most likely to slip over the limit then (assuming it's not so busy that you can't get anywhere near it), and also when your concentration is probably at its maximum.

Motorways are incredibly boring and depressing though, I'm increasingly finding (at least mostly) non-motorway routes where possible. Even if it takes quite a bit longer it can even be pleasant, so the time doesn't matter.

Some people just are plonkers and continue throughout their life.

All too true, yet ever-increasing amounts of obnoxious crap constantly appear in order to deal with them ("if it saves just one life"...)

My 15 year old girl starts shaking at 70mph.....sometimes will have to do it to her just to overtake the 56mph old boys.

Ha ha! But I have a trailer and will weave from lane to lane! My car is apparently still good for 155 mph. I haven't tried that yet! :blink:

My 15 year old girl starts shaking at 70mph.....sometimes will have to do it to her just to overtake the 56mph old boys.

Get your wheels balanced!

With modern vehicles these low speeds are insane. The 70mph limit was set when cars were utter rubbish. These days, I would say 100mph would be a better upper limit, though I would prefer autobahn-style no limits.

I try and avoid motorways because the petrol consumption is crap, I would like to do 56mph but probably go with the flow in the slow lane more like 60-65. that's probably down to 50 to the gallon in my car.

The optimum speed for my 107 is about 30-40mph.

I really don't believe this. For a start you can listen to engine rpm and note when it changes. Optic flow is also a very accurate cue, once you're up to speed.

Also, the reason why the law gives a little concession to a bit over the limit is exactly because of this - no problem within the law with driving at 70, edging up to 75, noticing and then slowing down again. The problem comes when you're travelling at 80 and edge up to 85 - you've already taken up any slack offered to you.

This is so-often given as a reason for speed limits being bad, but there really is very little evidence for it.

What you do find is that people who are used to speeding have a learnt set of optic-flow by road (for town, country, motorway driving) and they find it very difficult to drive away from this speed. This is particularly true for 30mph limits, which the vast majority of people find too-slow. What is required is an internal recalibration - it only takes a few times driving at the new speed to get it.

All too true, yet ever-increasing amounts of obnoxious crap constantly appear in order to deal with them ("if it saves just one life"...)

If you have ever been on a motorbike, you get a instinct for "crap drivers". Oh dear, there's another one. keep clear!

At the end of the day, you are responsible for yourself! :blink: